FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Pick kits

<<

terminallytransient

Post Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:19 am

Pick kits

What do you all think about pre-made "portable" pick kits? I have seen those credit card wallet picks, and of course everyone knows about the Ray's bogota sets.
I got to thinking about this after I saw these: http://tinyurl.com/y55zpr4t

For me, picks are alot like my other tools. I select the ones I need and use based off what works best for me, not necessarily brand reliant, but more whats available and fits my hand, feels good to use, and I get enjoyment from using them. So again, Im not certain about a preselected kit.

What are y'alls thoughts and opinions?

~T/T~
<<

Squelchtone

Post Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:41 am

Re: Pick kits

Do you already know how to pick or are you just starting out and learning? The general consensus over the years has been that Jackknives, credit card sets, and even Raimundo's Bogota's are for someone who knows what they are doing already and knows how locks work, and can use those style picks in a pinch or as a back up when you don't have your full lock pick set with full size handles. I have TIHK's emergency hand cuff keys, they're really neat. That little set you linked to is pretty cool as a backup EDC type of tool.

If you are just learning, nothing beats being able to actually hold your picks properly and learn to feel for feedback and be able to pick for extended periods of time without holding a thick handle or something really short that is annoying to hold. A $25 Southord pick set would be a much better choice for a beginner than let's say that KGB credit card set floating around the web. and I'm not shy about saying that the Amazon made in china $10 pick sets with clear locks are complete garbage, if you want to get picks in the mail and start picking today without having to debur or polish your picks first, get a Southord set, or a Sparrows, or Peterson or Brockhage or whatever you can afford for $25 bucks.

my 2 cents
Squelchtone
<<

terminallytransient

Post Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:23 am

I dabbled with picking back many years ago during my formative college years, nothing fancy like now. I have my old J hook , W rake, S Rake, and L rake, and a bogota knock off, and a monserate-fore, plus a couple skellies for wards. Nothing fancy, just what Ace used to sell back when I got my first set as a cheeky 18 year old. I ran across these old forgotten friends and looked at working the rust out of my fingertips, and then I found that the whole lock world had changed.

~T/T~
<<

Oliverwrtight

Post Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:56 am

Thanks for the advice here guys, I was also just looking for a set and saw this post about what tools the lockpickinglawyer uses but it seems to be a mix of smaller tools. I think I will go with your recommendation of a normal set of picks to start with to get the feel of it.
<<

edocdab

Familiar Face

Post Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:48 am

Indeed, those are mostly in his old every day carry kit. Obviously tiny tools as he drags it around in his coat, briefcase or something like it.
He launched his webshop where he sells things and there too you see the tiny tools. (He also sells normal sized picks)

All fun, but like Squelchtone mentioned, not for learning or practicing a longer period of time. The article is misleading for beginners as they might not realize it's a tiny emergency set. You can't go wrong with Squelch's advice.
My youtube channel: https://youtube.com/c/edocdab

Return to Random Banter