FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Your gun safe experience

<<

Darvince

Post Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:04 am

Your gun safe experience

Hi guys, I want to hear your personal experience on gun safe. Advice for new owners from real owners.

I write a post about it, so it will help me a lot to write based on the opinion of real owners.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:28 am

Re: Your gun safe experience

Gun safes are a local experience. It depends on the laws of the country and a lot on the local manufacturers. So how are the laws in Slovenia? EN1143-0/1 certified safes too?
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:04 pm

I use a cereal box in the kitchen cabinet.
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

Josephus

Post Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:13 pm

Don't use electric locks. There was a push in the gun community for them because they are faster to open and gun safe dealers claimed they were just as reliable. Years ago this drove the price of used group 2 and 2m locks down. Then later meaningful numbers of electric locks started failing and drove the price of mechanical locks back up. They might be good. They are faster, but also less reliable.

Generally safes marketed as gun safes are on the low end of strongboxes even at a few thousand dollars. They will slow down casual people but not those targeting gun owners. They open quite quickly with common tools. Avoid putting them in areas of your home or business that contains such tools to avoid opportunistic burglars. Never the common place of a garage or workspace. Place them somewhere difficult to get in and out that a visitor would not see.

1. Decide what your risk acceptance level is. 2. Decide what type of attacker and attacks you want to stop. 3. Decide what size you need. 4. Then go shopping, realize they are all out of your budget, and start over at step one :)
<<

Darvince

Post Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:12 am

Josephus - thank you for the great advice. I use some of your advice in my post.
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:28 pm

Loaded revolver in nightstand drawer.
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image

Return to Random Banter