FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Unhelpful Tips and Pictures

<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:10 am

Unhelpful Tips and Pictures

Was joking with my son about information that was unhelpful, and we both joked about how it would be fun to do some troll pictures that would show scale of something, but in reality are not very helpful.

Here are a couple of ones I just took.

Here is a Folger Adam mogul cylinder, with a Yale peanut cylinder for scale:

If you don’t know the size of a Yale peanut cylinder, here is one with seven coins from around the world. You can no doubt recognize at least one of them and know the scale of the lock:

How about some of your not-very-helpful tips and/or pictures?

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Familiar Face

Post Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:22 pm

Re: Unhelpful Tips and Pictures

Right up my alley, Gordon. Besides, what else is there to do when it is below zero outside? I will follow along with your size example.

I'm thinking of reproducing the key for early Yale and Towne time locks. In order for everyone to grasp the size of the key, here is a picture of it with an old oversized lug nut. Probably from a vintage tractor.

Unhelpful? Maybe this is better. Here it is with a 1960's/70's John Deere 350/450 bulldozer hood latch. That should give you the reference you need.

Still not registering? Here it is with a 1914 shell casing stamped with the following: 37-85 PDPs 71.10.14. This should make it easy.

Bonus points for who can identify the maker of the shell.
It is time... stand up for a constitutional America. Without it, we have shed blood in vain.
<<

macgng

Contributor / I Fought Tooth and Nail to Acquire BO...
Contributor / I Fought Tooth and Nail to Acquire BO...

Post Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:41 pm

2 abus padlocks :D

Nibbler: The poop-eradication is but one aspect of your importance.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:57 pm

00247 wrote:Right up my alley, Gordon. Besides, what else is there to do when it is below zero outside? I will follow along with your size example.

I'm thinking of reproducing the key for early Yale and Towne time locks. In order for everyone to grasp the size of the key, here is a picture of it with an old oversized lug nut. Probably from a vintage tractor.

Unhelpful? Maybe this is better. Here it is with a 1960's/70's John Deere 350/450 bulldozer hood latch. That should give you the reference you need.

Still not registering? Here it is with a 1914 shell casing stamped with the following: 37-85 PDPs 71.10.14. This should make it easy.

Bonus points for who can identify the maker of the shell.

Shell casing is from a French company. Pouderies des Paris, or something like that. :D

The John Deere hood latch definitely shows the scale accurately.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

MrWizard

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:43 pm

Huge 6 Pound Solid Brass Skeleton Key And Regular One.

HugeXBrassXKeyX01.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
Kurt Vonnegut
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:59 pm

Correct pin sizes don’t matter. Just use whatever is close and file them to fit! It’s also just fine if you file half the plug off!
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

greengrowlocks

Familiar Face

Post Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:14 am

LOB long key next to a KW1, modified long pick next to a standard sized pick.

<<

MrWizard

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:50 am

Easy way to not spend money on a complete pin kit is to buy just .165 bottom pins and .030 master pins. Put in the key you want to key the lock to drop in the .165 bottom pins and stack .030 master pins up until they are level with the top. This way you don't have to file any pins down saving you time, money, and frustration. Problem solved. :mrgreen:

Richard
"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
Kurt Vonnegut
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:54 am

Master No. 9 next to a Master No. 10. (The No. 9 is the one to the side of the No. 10).

Gordon

Return to Random Banter