FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

What do you think ?

<<

bitbuster

Prolific Poster

Post Sun May 07, 2017 3:26 pm

What do you think ?

About a year ago I sold an Ilco model 2584 key machine to a suburban St. Paul lock shop. The 'smith met me on the Wisconsin side of the river and the sale was made. He thought the $130 price was high, but I stuck to my guns on the price. ( I've seen laughable prices for the same model listed from $250- $400 in other CL areas). He told me some of his safe opening tales and how he got started, etc. I told him of the very numerous key machines I've bought and sold and mentioned I have sold many, many Cole machines. He said he would never sell nor buy a Cole key machine. Why? , because most Cole machines are stamped (or cast) with a tag stating they are are the 'property of Cole Consumer Products'. Yes, Cole has been acquired by different holding companies through its history. I may be wrong but I think Hillman absorbed them. He questioned " what if the company would go back (I assume trace) to each individual Cole machine and then confiscate it"? I said that will never happen but he said it's not out of the question. Bottom line.....I'm not worried. Your thoughts.....
'Gunter glieben glauten globen' Def Leppard, Rock of Ages, 1983
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun May 07, 2017 3:31 pm

Re: What do you think ?

Not worried about it

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

madsamurai

Post Sun May 07, 2017 5:00 pm

lol... people get paranoid about the strangest ideas. I can't think of a single reason that a company like that would feel the need to spend the money, time, and manpower it would take to track down and recover even half of the machines they built and sold... silly. Also, "Property Of..." stamps are generally meaningless, legally...
<<

bitbuster

Prolific Poster

Post Sun May 07, 2017 6:40 pm

madsamurai wrote:lol... people get paranoid about the strangest ideas. I can't think of a single reason that a company like that would feel the need to spend the money, time, and manpower it would take to track down and recover even half of the machines they built and sold... silly. Also, "Property Of..." stamps are generally meaningless, legally...

Exactly. Right on.
'Gunter glieben glauten globen' Def Leppard, Rock of Ages, 1983
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Sun May 07, 2017 7:25 pm

I paid 40 bucks for my Cole 3K from a hardware store that was closing. If someone REALLY wants it back...they can have it.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

JSwistak

Post Mon May 08, 2017 8:35 pm

If they come for sure let them have it, as long as they pay a nice hefty fee for you storing it.

That brings to mind another question, how about all of the BEST locks that are on eBay. There are quite a few for sale that are stamped with current businesses such as UPS, McDonald's, Ford, etc. Wouldn't they still be the property of the companies?

Return to Random Banter