FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Story on Marc Tobias and Medeco

<<

pickmonger2

Post Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:52 pm

Story on Marc Tobias and Medeco

You may or may not have seen this. https://www.wired.com/2009/05/ff-keymaster/
<<

huxleypig

The Prestigious and Powerful Porcine Prelate

Post Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:06 am

Re: Story on Marc Tobias and Medeco

Eeew, it's a bit gushy. Like reading the Schuyler Towne articles. There are a lot of things in that article that are attributed to MWT that he did not do. His Medeco work (sorry, Bluzmanis') is good but not revolutionary. There are Medeco exploits that he has never even mentioned.
<<

Jaakko Fagerlund

Post Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:48 am

"Medeco is the best lock in the world"...yeah, if you limit your world view to only one continent :D

And I'm with huxley, Marc is known to not credit the people who have come up with the ideas for some method of opening and then just presents them as if he was the finder. His obnoxious style is why I won't talk with the guy or present any ideas to him at all, even if they would be the best thing ever since sliced bread.
<<

MHM

Familiar Face

Post Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:13 pm

huxleypig wrote:Eeew, it's a bit gushy. Like reading the Schuyler Towne articles. There are a lot of things in that article that are attributed to MWT that he did not do. His Medeco work (sorry, Bluzmanis') is good but not revolutionary. There are Medeco exploits that he has never even mentioned.

Never forget that the man's a lawyer.

It's about self promotion and publicity first, presentation of a narrative second, and the actual facts dead motherless last.

The Medeco guy whose name I can't remember doesn't come out smelling of roses BUT you can see why he might not want to engage with Tobias.
<<

Patrick Star

Post Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:53 pm

His book (Locks, Safes and Security) is good though. I hope, or else I guess I'll have to un-read it...

But I honestly don't see the big whooha about his (or "his" perhaps if he's taking undue credit) attacks on Medeco - they are fully pickable after all, ARX pins or not.
Sure - some of the attacks are kinda clever, and they do reduce the security of Medecos, but it's not like it bumps (hah!) them down from an extremely high level to trivially attackable. If your threat model already allowed for a skilled attacker picking them, you shouldn't lose much sleep over it.

Return to Random Banter