FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Why We Pick Locks

<<

whizdumb

Post Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:15 am

Why We Pick Locks

I have been given a presentation assignment in one of my professional development classes. I have chosen to speak about my hobby of lock sport and I'm curious to hear what you all think. If you had to give a 2-3 minute talk about why you pick locks... What would you want to say to your audience? How would you get them to understand this fascinating hobby? Mind you, the audience doesn't have any idea about what true and honest locksport is all about. How would you convey that this hobby is not about being a criminal or thinking that someone would only be using it for nefarious purposes?

Please feel free to chime in with any anecdotal experience about how you told other people about lock picking. I'm anxious to hear it.

Happy Picking,
Whizdumb
Whizdumb81 wrote:You can't handle the DCAP
xe0 wrote:how about a peterson gov steel baseball bat so i can thwap motherfuckers
ecksdee wrote:To learn to pick locks is to learn how to speak a language spoken only in whispers and riddles.

http://www.youtube.com/user/HobbyPicker
<<

LockManipulator

Post Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:51 am

Re: Why We Pick Locks

I tell people because it's a challenge and like a puzzle. One where instead of going by how things look you go by how things feel.
<<

huxleypig

The Prestigious and Powerful Porcine Prelate

Post Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:13 pm

I read about it in the Jolly Roger Cookbook, back when I were a lad. I thought it might be bollocks (like most of the Jolly Roger Cookbook) and I tried my homebrew tools on what I now know to be a very, very hard lock to pick. I didn't pick it and gave it up as movie bullshit. Then the internet showed me that it was a real thing about 15 years ago and the rest is history.

I remember when I showed one of my friends at the time. I picked a crappy padlock and he grabbed it off me to check it was real and not some magicians prop. :smile:
<<

spuds

Familiar Face

Post Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:45 pm

1 You will meet the most amazing people who you will call friends :discus:
2 They will teach you about change and being prepared for change not all locks are the same :mortise2:
3 Every Lock will teach you something. patience frustration joy defeat winning lol :padlock2:
4 Because they are there :combolock:
5 Because I can :padlock2:

Thanks my friends !!!
Even Duct tape can't fix stupid But it can muffle the sound ! ;-)
Jim
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:00 pm

locks are a great release. I deal with computers all day so having something mechanical that I can work with makes me very happy. Like spuds said, I have met some great people and made some fantastic connections. I also love taking things apart and knowing how they work.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

selim

Diabolical Pinning Master & Lock Philanthropist
Diabolical Pinning Master & Lock Philanthropist

Post Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:00 pm

Don't know who said this, and I changed a bit " picking is a puzzle , and making the key is the prize "
<<

Spyder

Familiar Face

Post Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:53 pm

I always describe it like this:
"Some people will sit on the couch for hours doing crosswords, or sudoku, or watching jeapordy or wheel of fortune trying to keep up, I sit on the couch picking high security locks.... "

You get some funny looks here and there... and I always make sure to explain that I only pick locks I own or have been asked to pick because someone lost keys etc. and then occasionally you get a phone call or text a few weeks later from the person you were talking to, that has locked their keys in the house or shed or some damn thing.
<<

WestCoastPicks

Familiar Face

Post Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:04 pm

Same as literally every other hobby.

Because it is fun and rewarding for me. I'm not interested in selling my hobby to others or care if they approve, so I won't embellish. Being fun and rewarding is enough for me. ☺
<<

macgng

Contributor / I Fought Tooth and Nail to Acquire BO...
Contributor / I Fought Tooth and Nail to Acquire BO...

Post Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:27 am

selim wrote:Don't know who said this, and I changed a bit " picking is a puzzle , and making the key is the prize "

Hell yeah man! .... just cause it's open doesn't mean you can use it yet!

For me it started as just a simple order of picks from southord that my wife got me when we first started dating... I had always wanted to get a pick set ,but never actually did any research. When I finally got the picks and some old master padlocks from the garage, that was it man... I was hooked.

I bet anyone, you talk to someone about this hobby that thinks we are up to no good, ok that's their opinion.... challenge them to try and pick a lock... they struggle for a little while, so show them what to do and how it works. I bet when then finally get it open... they will have changed their mind and will understand how it really is a puzzle! ... it works.

lol.... they will probably also ask you about better locks for their front door, or if you can make an extra key for them, or fix a lock that broke... But hey what are friends and family for ... :-) ... lmao
Nibbler: The poop-eradication is but one aspect of your importance.

Return to Random Banter