FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

BEST key trap???

<<

farmall

Familiar Face

Post Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:15 pm

BEST key trap???

I've heard about these before but can't seem to find any info. I'm in need of a trap core for a Best lock. From what I recall it wasn't difficult to build, but I can't remember how it was done. Any ideas?
macgng; it's completely unnecessary to have ~15$ in keys for a 50¢ lock ... but we all do it anyway :P
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:23 am

Re: BEST key trap???

IIRC Best makes their own trap cores and pin them especially for the key you want to trap. If you want to make one yourself you would need the ability to take apart and rekey a core. In the simplest terms, you would drill a hole somewhere in the side of the plug for some of the pins to drop down into. It would need to be precisely placed and sized and it would need to be deep enough to trap the pin but shallow enough for the pins that drop it to not line up at the shear line.

Once the key is trapped the core needs to be drilled out.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

huxleypig

The Prestigious and Powerful Porcine Prelate

Post Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:12 pm

Oh my life, I didn't know they did this. What a nasty little trick! Most trap pins I have come across can be released...which sorta defeats the point of a trap pin I suppose.
<<

farmall

Familiar Face

Post Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:21 pm

huxleypig wrote:Oh my life, I didn't know they did this. What a nasty little trick! Most trap pins I have come across can be released...which sorta defeats the point of a trap pin I suppose.

Like I said I've heard of it before. I've got a thief that can't seem to stay out of my stuff at work. It sure would be nice to see his key broken off in my toolbox lock. He'd probably take off with the lock but he would still have to report his key.
macgng; it's completely unnecessary to have ~15$ in keys for a 50¢ lock ... but we all do it anyway :P
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:44 pm

farmall wrote:
huxleypig wrote:Oh my life, I didn't know they did this. What a nasty little trick! Most trap pins I have come across can be released...which sorta defeats the point of a trap pin I suppose.

Like I said I've heard of it before. I've got a thief that can't seem to stay out of my stuff at work. It sure would be nice to see his key broken off in my toolbox lock. He'd probably take off with the lock but he would still have to report his key.

It traps the key before it gets to the point the lock would open so this person would not be able to get the lock off.

If you have Best on your toolbox why not just have the core repinned?

<<

innerpicked

Familiar Face

Post Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:07 pm

Riyame wrote:If you have Best on your toolbox why not just have the core repinned?

Company might require use of their padlocks?

Just a bit of a brainstorm here. Rotate the plug 10-20 degrees clockwise, drill down the last pins chamber into the plug 1/8" or so where it will trap a driver. Just make sure you have the sleeve in the locked position when you drill. Recap/reassemble the core, and your control key should be the only key that will still open the lock, as the control sleeve will prevent the driver from contacting the plug where you drilled the hole. Unlock the padlock with a screwdriver, put your core in, lock the padlock on said toolbox, and any change key that will tuen the lock will get trapped, a control will not.

I may be way off base here, not an expert with SFICs, maybe someone can tell if my idea has any validity.
(21:42:51) PhoneMan: restraints? the GF and I do those
(21:42:59) PhoneMan: wait, um...
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
<<

farmall

Familiar Face

Post Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:12 pm

Riyame wrote:
farmall wrote:

It traps the key before it gets to the point the lock would open so this person would not be able to get the lock off.

It's a padlock on a hasp. He'd probably twist the padlock off getting away. The suspect carries a master key. I could put my own lock on easy enough, but I want proof as to who it is so I can get his key taken away.
<<

Rumball Solutions

Familiar Face

Post Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:19 am

farmall wrote:
Riyame wrote:
farmall wrote:

It's a padlock on a hasp. He'd probably twist the padlock off getting away. The suspect carries a master key. I could put my own lock on easy enough, but I want proof as to who it is so I can get his key taken away.

Coat the inside of your cylinder in UV dye. Pretty hard for the thief to deny using their key on your lock if it starts glowing under a UV light. How else did the dye get there?

We used to dose fuel tanks with UV dye and then check the fuel filler necks on suspect employee vehicles. Fuel theft stopped pretty quickly.
<<

tpark

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:09 pm

Perhaps hidden cameras would be helpful in catching the culprit - even something like a trail cam mounted inside your locked area. The master might be a copy or a made key, therefore when it gets trapped you just have a copy, and haven't done anything but alerted the person stealing your stuff.
<<

farmall

Familiar Face

Post Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:36 pm

tpark wrote:Perhaps hidden cameras would be helpful in catching the culprit - even something like a trail cam mounted inside your locked area. The master might be a copy or a made key, therefore when it gets trapped you just have a copy, and haven't done anything but alerted the person stealing your stuff.

Knowing this a-hole he'd steal the camera. I know I doubt he has a copy we are in a smallish town and the local hardware doesn't even carry best blanks.
Last edited by farmall on Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Riyame

Post Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:38 pm

farmall wrote:
tpark wrote:Perhaps hidden cameras would be helpful in catching the culprit - even something like a trail cam mounted inside your locked area. The master might be a copy or a made key, therefore when it gets trapped you just have a copy, and haven't done anything but alerted the person stealing your stuff.

Knowing this a-hole he'd steal the camera.

You can get a pinhole camera and hid it in something like a book nearby.

<<

Logan

Familiar Face

Post Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:05 pm

I've had this problem before a hallowed out party popper, a spray bottle cap that fit into it, some string and some permanent ink solved it.
"My only definite plan is that in the future I'm definitely just using this screwdriver for screwing in screws" -The Doctor

┓┏ 凵 =╱⊿┌┬┐
<<

tpark

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:30 am

If he's the type to steal the camera, maybe one of those internet enabled game cameras in some kind of metal box chained up inside of your locked area? You might get some interesting footage of him trying to steal the camera.

The viability of this idea depends on who has keys for your toolbox and what kind of keys they are, but here goes.

If you're doing this I'm assuming you have full control of the key system. If you can find a pin where the culprit's key can have a thicker wafer above it, you can make a trap core. In that chamber, drill a smaller hole into the plug in a location where the plug is rotated slightly, and file the wafer down so it will sink down into the hole in the plug. Of course, any key with the same bitting as the culprit's key at that pin location will be trapped.

Return to Random Banter