Post Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:16 pm

....and another auction

Saturday I attended another live auction. I went to day number 2 of a 3 day auction in a residential area of a small Minnesota town. The owners, 92 and 89 years young were now in an assisted living home. The house was an older, large 2 story with a full attic. It was absolutely packed with items of all kinds. The owners had owned an antique store and were known to attend and buy at a lot of auctions. The husband must have been a jack-of-all-trades because there were massive amounts of hand tools and older electric tools among hundreds of kerosene lamps and many,many clocks of all varieties. The basement was also his workshop. The auction listing mentioned a key machine so I went the 2nd day because it was to be sold that day. It turned out to be a Cole 200. First thing I did was find an outlet and plugged it in. These machines are notorious for being loud but this one was quiet compared to previous 200s I've had. The machine was caked with sawdust from being stored close to woodworking machinery.I removed the rusty carriage shaft and cleaned it with steel wool. The photos are after I gave it a good cleaning. The cutting wheel shield is off and the cutting wheel was dull so I will send it to GilRay Tools for sharpening. I paid $20 for the machine. If anyone comes across this model 200 and you do not have access to an outlet to test it, here is what you can do. Take the cutting wheel and turn it by hand. The brush end or shaft should move (turn) at the same time. If either end (cutting wheel end or deburring brush end ) does not turn at the same time as the other then that means the 19-toothed gear on the cutting wheel side is shot. There are no replacement parts for these machines other than a parts machine you may find somewhere. These machines came branded as Graham, Norton, National, Cole, National-Cole, or Elnar (Div. of Cole).
Just a side note. This estate will have another 2 day live auction in October plus an online auction which is happening now.
http://imgur.com/a/uGeFe
...Warm smell of colitas, rising up through the air... Eagles, Hotel California, 1976