FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Keys in the news

<<

Neilau

Post Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:50 pm

Keys in the news

Just came across this.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3705993/Hackers-create-3D-printable-master-key-major-line-TSA-approved-luggage-locks.html

I've only come across a couple of these locks and they are super simple to open.

I don't know why anyone would want a complete set - other than a collectors curiosity.

This whole issue of locks and TSA keys is just security theater. Like the article says, all you need is a pen to get into a zipper.

The comments are interesting. No one is fooled.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

WestCoastPicks

Familiar Face

Post Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:27 pm

Re: Keys in the news

Neilau wrote:Just came across this.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3705993/Hackers-create-3D-printable-master-key-major-line-TSA-approved-luggage-locks.html

I've only come across a couple of these locks and they are super simple to open.

I don't know why anyone would want a complete set - other than a collectors curiosity.

This whole issue of locks and TSA keys is just security theater. Like the article says, all you need is a pen to get into a zipper.

The comments are interesting. No one is fooled.

Yeah ☺ I remember the story breaking. There was a picture of a TSA agent holding up his set of master keys.
They extrapolated the bittings and posted it all over. I remember downloading the stl. Never printed them though lol. I never saw the point. For fun I thought of buying each number and taking them apart to get the bitting. But meh. They are just luggage locks. Open with a rake faster than the key.
<<

MrAnybody

The Muffin Man
The Muffin Man

Post Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:12 am

Indeed, just security theatre.

When this story first broke, it was at the same time as the FBI and such were getting a huge amount of attention for insisting on back doors to encrypted software. So the analogy was more to do with the dangers of restricted info finding its way to the public domain, and destroying privacy through people using for malicious intent.

Plus, it brought a whole lot of media attention of how keys could be vulnerable to attack using a simple image and increasingly readily available 3D printing.

Both subjects are not new, but the attention they received because of the TSA thing put a little extra light on them. But yeah, the story itself was nothing more than meh with regard to TSA locks.

MrAnybody's Locks

DISCLAIMER: Reader may posit an understanding of what was written, while this may not coincide with the intended meaning of what is read. Use of brain is required. No purchase necessary. One size fits all, and may contain traces of gibberish.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:28 am

Printed out a full set quite a while back. Did it more as a curiosity thing, and to know that I did it. But yes, it is easier to simply pick the lock.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

LocksportSouth

Post Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:51 am

I downloaded the files when the story first came out, but I never bothered getting them printed. Probably will do one day when I get, or get access to, a 3D printer, just for the 'lulz' of opening up the couple of TSA locks that I have, but I've also raked them open in ~2-3 seconds. I think most people realise these things are more to stop the zipper coming open accidentally rather than as any kind of real security, the real danger I think is with any naive travellers who really think the TSA locks protect them and put $5k worth of camera gear and laptops in their checked luggage.
<<

Anarchy_won

Post Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:34 am

I printed one of these http://tsatool.com/ it just has the 002 & 007 keys on it. I did it for the lol's & just to see if they would work (they did)
(17:44:28) HAL 9000 Sez: LockSport is full of children who throw fits because low priced low security products sold in discount department stores do not meet their arbitrary expectations.
<<

selim

Diabolical Pinning Master & Lock Philanthropist
Diabolical Pinning Master & Lock Philanthropist

Post Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:15 pm

is that you Archer, I mean Anarchy, I thought this post was about key's the lost rabbit

Return to Random Banter