FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Lock picking 101 double talk

<<

Shifty1

Post Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:52 pm

Lock picking 101 double talk

What is with that bunch over at lockpicking 101. I posted a question about tubular lock picks and the guy shuts my post down. Like how else are u to pick a tubular lock except with a pick. They will talk about pick guns, impressioning, decoding, security pin compromise,and jiggler techniques but not about a lock as omnipresent as a radial faced tumbler lock? They lack consistency in their banter over there. Time to keep to myself again and persue this hobby alone. Intuition always did make for innovation in advancing my own skill set. Cheers !
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:06 pm

Re: Lock picking 101 double talk

The owner of lp101 prefers to keep certain topics in a subforum that's not google searchable or available to the general public. Topics include auto-opening, bypass methods, destructive entry, and methods of opening safes, vending machine locks and high security locks. To access the subforum with those topics you need to have been on the forum for a certain amount of time and made a certain number of posts in order to get to know you a bit first.

In the past there was only one big lockpicking forum and usually a slightly smaller one for people who didn't like the other one, plus lots of tiny ones with no content that never seemed to last longer than a few months. I've tended to use all the various forums, at least in some way, just because I found most of them to be useful resources in different ways. There are a lot more stable and well established lockpicking forums to choose from these days and many people tend to find one where they fit in best and mostly hang out there.

It's just personal preference.
<<

Pick-Fu

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:45 pm

Good reply MBI,

I just found this site (am a member of LP101 as well) but I wanted to be able to read what ever topic I was interested that day.
I have asked permission to get into the other threads but still have not heard back so I will just spend my time here where I can peruse all the old threads at my leasure.

I will check lp101 every now and then but it wont be my first choice to gather information now
<<

Josephus

Post Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:34 pm

MBI do you go locksport.fr? I talk to people that go there and they seem very knowledgeable. Is it worth running through a translator?

On topic: I used to go to lp101 every so often but kept forgetting my account details lol, so I could never really talk about what I wanted to with the low post count. Most of my time there was answering questions for new people. I just got tired of answering the same questions over and over for people new to the hobby that often wouldn't stick around for long.

Tubular locks can be picked with just a wire (or anything pokey enough really) and a tension wrench. A design for a good one is on here somewhere. A good thing to do is only turn it a tiny bit, then impression a key with soft plastic, like a pen barrel similar to the old kryptonite attack. That way you don't have to pick it over and over to rotate. There's the commercial picks, those are pretty nice and very fast. Takes a low amount of practice. Pretty easy save for the ones that have different spring tensions, then you need an expensive one like peterson sells, do it manually, or get clever with a cheaper tubular pick.
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:56 pm

I found your post and the reason it was closed:

Tubular locks, and their associated picks, are considered an advanced forum topic due to how many are used in vending machines. We can not discuss tubular locks or picks in the open forums.

Since tubular locks are most often encountered on vending machines and cheap gun cabinets they do not want people talking about how to pick them on he open forum. They do not want some 12 year old kid to google "vending machine/gun safe lock" and find out how to steal or end up blowing his head off. Plain and simple, so they restrict that topic to the advanced forums.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

Pick-Fu

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:01 pm

Josephus wrote:MBI do you go locksport.fr? I talk to people that go there and they seem very knowledgeable. Is it worth running through a translator?

On topic: I used to go to lp101 every so often but kept forgetting my account details lol, so I could never really talk about what I wanted to with the low post count. Most of my time there was answering questions for new people. I just got tired of answering the same questions over and over for people new to the hobby that often wouldn't stick around for long.

Tubular locks can be picked with just a wire (or anything pokey enough really) and a tension wrench. A design for a good one is on here somewhere. A good thing to do is only turn it a tiny bit, then impression a key with soft plastic, like a pen barrel similar to the old kryptonite attack. That way you don't have to pick it over and over to rotate. There's the commercial picks, those are pretty nice and very fast. Takes a low amount of practice. Pretty easy save for the ones that have different spring tensions, then you need an expensive one like peterson sells, do it manually, or get clever with a cheaper tubular pick.

I purchased the 2 tubular picks (7 and 8 pin) but never really use them. I always pick the tubular lock to 22.5 degrees because at 45 degrees the pins reset and I would have to pick again. When the pins are set, I use the tubular lock pick to press down onto the pins and lock it down. I then take it to my tubular key cutter and cut a key from it. I really need to get one of those Mantis tension wrenches though, its a lot better then the piece of metal Im using now..
<<

Josephus

Post Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:08 pm

Maaan I'm envious (jealous?). I want a tubular key cutter. Who do I ask to get more expendable income?
<<

Piratus

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:11 pm

What happened to LockPicking 101 ???
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Pick-Fu

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:19 pm

Josephus wrote:Maaan I'm envious (jealous?). I want a tubular key cutter. Who do I ask to get more expendable income?

Acutally I picked up a HPC1200 Blitz, a Rytan 100 and a Scotsman Duplicode cutter for $180.00 and 3oz of silver I had on me at the time.

I had to spend some time with the HPC1200, I stripped it and painted it and then put it back together (of course had to calibrate it.. easy now that I know how) The Rytan 100 worked perfectly just after a calibration. The tubular key cutter had some bad wire so it didnt turn on at first, but after replacing it and oiling the thing it seems to work perfectly now. So 3 key machines for under $240.00 :hbg:
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:37 pm

mrrusswarez wrote:What happened to LockPicking 101 ???
image.jpg

Your IP is either from a country where they get a lot of spammers or you are using a VPN or other similar service to change your IP.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:34 pm

Pick-Fu wrote:
Josephus wrote:Maaan I'm envious (jealous?). I want a tubular key cutter. Who do I ask to get more expendable income?

Acutally I picked up a HPC1200 Blitz, a Rytan 100 and a Scotsman Duplicode cutter for $180.00 and 3oz of silver I had on me at the time.

I had to spend some time with the HPC1200, I stripped it and painted it and then put it back together (of course had to calibrate it.. easy now that I know how) The Rytan 100 worked perfectly just after a calibration. The tubular key cutter had some bad wire so it didnt turn on at first, but after replacing it and oiling the thing it seems to work perfectly now. So 3 key machines for under $240.00 :hbg:

Nice score on the key cutters, Shifty1. I mean Pick-Fu. :D

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:14 pm

Pick-Fu wrote:
Josephus wrote:MBI do you go locksport.fr? I talk to people that go there and they seem very knowledgeable. Is it worth running through a translator?

I purchased the 2 tubular picks (7 and 8 pin) but never really use them. I always pick the tubular lock to 22.5 degrees because at 45 degrees the pins reset and I would have to pick again. When the pins are set, I use the tubular lock pick to press down onto the pins and lock it down. I then take it to my tubular key cutter and cut a key from it. I really need to get one of those Mantis tension wrenches though, its a lot better then the piece of metal Im using now..

That is the way I use a tubular lock pick to decode and copy tubular keys. You can probably do a search here and see manual tubular lock tension wrenches and picks posted here, since it is not restricted information here. You will even find pics of my tubular lock tension wrenches.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

WestCoastPicks

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:15 pm

I have different reasons but somewhat related.

Let's just say. I will never log on to lp101 again.
<<

Piratus

Familiar Face

Post Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:40 am

Riyame wrote:
mrrusswarez wrote:What happened to LockPicking 101 ???
image.jpg

Your IP is either from a country where they get a lot of spammers or you are using a VPN or other similar service to change your IP.

I have tried from 4 different countries, same result everywhere.
And no VPN. Maybe they are not european friendly. :mrgreen:
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:56 am

For more expendable income, nothing better than asking your boss for a raise!
Nemo Malus Felix
Next

Return to Random Banter