FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Interesting, short article on Victorian lock picking

<<

oldlock

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:36 am

Re: Interesting, short article on Victorian lock picking

huxleypig wrote: Would the lock now be easier to pick in the detector-bolt-freeing direction and thus give you the correct bitting? Price does mention something about this I think but it is a bit unclear. Is this how Hobbs did it?

For a while Chubb detector locks were made with false notching on the 'reset' side of the levers. The comments re using the detector as a 'director' only really applied to the Original and Improved patent where the large 'see-saw' detector needed to be tripped, beyond that much finer designs akin to a spring were used that required very little additional effort to trip.
Bramah Australasia
http://www.bramah.com.au

The above link has been approved by the site admin.
<<

Patrick Star

Post Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:55 am

Re: Interesting, short article on Victorian lock picking

According to Mechanical High-Security Locks (which is where I found the reference to the book, by the way), Hobbs simply picked it without triggering the detector. Heavy tension and small increments. Not too dissimilar from picking a pin tumbler lock with evil key pins I suppose... just a bigger mess when you screw up.
Previous

Return to Random Banter