FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

100 mile garage sale

<<

bitbuster

Prolific Poster

Post Fri May 06, 2016 8:54 am

100 mile garage sale

Today is the start of the 100 mile garage sale.The route is Red Wing south to Winona on the Minnesota side and Prescott south to Fountain City on the Wisconsin side of the muddy Mississippi River. Thousands upon thousands of 'treasures' for sale. 15 towns with many, many sales in between. I look for safes, key machines and lock related stuff with a priority but many other items can catch my eye. I try not to stay at any site too long as there is much territory to cover. A large number of people at the sales today will consist mostly of dealers looking to get a jump on the good antique items. I only go on Saturday. I've heard of the huge multi-states garage sale in the south but have yet to do that one.
'Gunter glieben glauten globen' Def Leppard, Rock of Ages, 1983
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Fri May 06, 2016 7:32 pm

Re: 100 mile garage sale

You lucky dog! I'd LOVE to hit more garage & estate sales. But if I get a little time off it's usually Monday...
which leaves me chasing what I call 'phantom garage sales', lol. You know, the ones that ended Sunday
but they never bothered to take all their signs down. So I drive miles out of my way to find nothing. Ha!

Have fun. I hope to see some pics from some of your finds.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

bitbuster

Prolific Poster

Post Sun May 08, 2016 9:36 am

I was disappointed with the 100 miler this year. It always occurs the 1st full weekend in May. This year other events happened to fall the same weekend. Both Minnesota and Wisconsin fishing openers. Mothers Day weekend. And something that could not possibly have been predicted.......the devastating fires in Canada, whose wind blown smoke made for a hazy and smelly morning.
Many people who would have had sales during this event elected not to set-up because of either participating in the fishing opener or preparing for Mothers Day or both.There was still many, many sales but regretfully, no items jumped out at me. I saw no lock related items, which is unusual. I did not go to every sale site due to the vast area to cover even though there were not as many participants as past sales. If I saw kids clothes or toys on tables I bypassed it. I went down too many long driveways in hopes of finding treasures only to see tables of clothing and junky furniture.......if I hadn't gone down the long driveways, would the treasures I sought have been there?
Oldfast wrote:You lucky dog! I'd LOVE to hit more garage & estate sales. But if I get a little time off it's usually Monday...
which leaves me chasing what I call 'phantom garage sales', lol. You know, the ones that ended Sunday
but they never bothered to take all their signs down. So I drive miles out of my way to find nothing. Ha!

Have fun. I hope to see some pics from some of your finds.

I also have been to 'phantom sales'. I once wrote down the wrong date for an auction and I showed up 6 days early.
Gordon: Mission not accomplished.
'Gunter glieben glauten globen' Def Leppard, Rock of Ages, 1983
<<

Oldfast

Post Sat May 21, 2016 7:53 pm

Well shucks. I guess they can't all be winners.

The hunt, and the anticipation was there anyway...
so at least you got something out of it, I guess :???:

I hit four sales today... and went home empty handed too.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."

Return to Random Banter