FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Price...........serious?

<<

bitbuster

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:50 am

Price...........serious?

Every few days I like to take a peek at different areas of the US and look at what is for sale on Craigslist. I start by looking at safes and key machines. I did a double-take when I saw the asking price of the safe on the link. I understand the seller can put any price on their item they wish-------no matter how absurd. I have sold several safes like the linked one but have never asked more than $50. They can be easily bounced open or drilled to push the spring latched bolt on the Cutler-Federal lock. I just find the ad's wording and pricing humorous.

https://longisland.craigslist.org/for/5456574641.html
...Warm smell of colitas, rising up through the air... Eagles, Hotel California, 1976
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:57 am

Re: Price...........serious?

<<

bitbuster

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:07 am

absolutely
...Warm smell of colitas, rising up through the air... Eagles, Hotel California, 1976
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:11 am

It is a real safe??? :lol:

Here are a couple from Craigslist here in Tucson. The taller one is a Mosler - a real safe. Smaller is an Adesco, but is still a real safe. Not Sentry crud. Prices are $395 for the Mosler and $295 for the Adesco.

http://tucson.craigslist.org/bfs/5458763668.html

And here is another for $300. Looks like a very solid door.

http://tucson.craigslist.org/for/5461047212.html
You are right about it being ludicrously priced and laughable in the writeup.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

bitbuster

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:40 am

right on, gordon. far better quality and reasonably priced. here is a safe near you that i saw that has been posted several times this past year . both holes are in the wrong place with hole on left being closest to where it should be.(hole is twice the size needed). the safe is a Herring-Hall-Marvin with an S&G M6730 inside. the holes can be easily plugged. if i lived in PHX area i would have bought that safe by now.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/for/5466222080.html
Last edited by bitbuster on Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Rumball Solutions

Familiar Face

Post Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:23 pm

Lol....Sentury! (sic)

Just when you thought Sentry was cruddy...I give you "Sentury"!

People are free to value things of their own accord. This is not the issue. The issue is when consumers are misled or make false assumptions about the relative quality or utility of an item.

I'm yet to see a Sentry product that's fit to hold the keys to a gas station toilet. Fire protection on the other hand .....meh!
<<

bitbuster

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:09 pm

RS, I agree with what you say. I do however think that Sentry did have good fire resistant models in the 5560, 5570, 6560, 6570. These were the heavy, cube shaped safes with the recessed handle and recessed dial that were flush with the door and had a 2 hour fire rating. If one knew how, they were still easy to get into. The more I read the ad ,the more I wonder if the seller is that much uninformed or if it was intentionally written with sarcasm. He asks for $450 in the ad but the note on safe says $275 OBO. Maybe Papa Gleb can take a road trip to LI and find out......or maybe not.
<<

Rumball Solutions

Familiar Face

Post Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:02 am

There's a buyer for everything.....the retro look will appeal to someone who cares more about form over function. It is a staple of modern hipster culture really :ugeek:
<<

Fred B

Familiar Face

Post Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:14 am

The First Strong Box ..Is From Riverhead LI Not Far From The Hamptons So It May Have Bin Used By Some A Lister For The Summer :) lol Thats Why The High Price ....
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:23 pm

That Long Island Craig's List ad is a bit silly.
Not just because they're asking $450 for a mediocre Sentry safe.
But because they're asking $450, when from the pics it's clearly just been sitting outside their house at the side of the road with a label saying "$275 OBO" on it, and it's had no takers at that price.
At least take off the old price sticker before you try to gouge someone on the internet.

*Edit: Nevermind, I now see bitbuster beat me to the comment.

Return to Random Banter