FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

EBay scare

<<

davesnothere11

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:52 pm

EBay scare

So I had seen a small brass Ruger branded padlock on eBay and my wife actually TOLD me to bid on it! Wow! with 16 seconds to go I went to enter my bid of $3.55 ..... and in my haste I fat fingered the phone into bidding $355!!!!! I let out an "Oh Shit!", told my wife what happened, she grabbed my arm and we waited the longest 15 seconds of my life. Thankfully the bid only went up to.$7.50. Whew! I paid a bit more than I wanted, but I can live with this mistake.

Anybody else have any near bidding disasters?
(18:56:54) HAL 9000 Sez: It isn't so much bait as it is chum

My lock photography: https://flic.kr/s/aHskv3U6Tx
My picking videos:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr_YDBWHU0VpoIjmfocIbuw
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:55 pm

Re: EBay scare

Yup, went to bid $250 on a time lock. It was my first time using the ebay app and I fat fingered it and bid $2500. Thankfully it only went to 280 some.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

Doogs

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:52 pm

Did that while in chat just the other night. Went to bid $35.00 and bid $3500.00! Yeah I was a little worried and was glad It wasn't the one that went over $80 it ended up going to just $37.50. I've definitely had occasions where if I had of done so then it could have been disastrous.
The other, other, other, other Mike

(21:55:20) HAL 9001RC:: Heh heh uh heh uh heh uh uh heh PhoneMan said ass
<<

macgng

Contributor / I Fought Tooth and Nail to Acquire BO...
Contributor / I Fought Tooth and Nail to Acquire BO...

Post Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:34 pm

last couple seconds clicking "one click bid" can be VERY dangerous!!!!!!
Nibbler: The poop-eradication is but one aspect of your importance.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:49 am

Have done that a couple times over the years. Thank goodness for incremental bidding. :)

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Lauren

Post Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:44 am

Ebay recognizes fat-fingering as a means to retract a bid or cancel a transaction. You most likely will lose the item to the next highest bidder.
<<

davesnothere11

Familiar Face

Post Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:17 pm

Lauren wrote:Ebay recognizes fat-fingering as a means to retract a bid or cancel a transaction. You most likely will lose the item to the next highest bidder.

That's good to know. I assumed it I'd cost me some reputation points.

I am glad it was my for thousands of dollars like Riyame and Doogs, the wife might have taken away my eBay privileges. :???:

<<

LocksportSouth

Post Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:18 pm

I don't tend to make accidents since I use the desktop PC and am super-fastidious about double checking amounts (I don't really bidsnipe for that reason; I get panicky if I haven't bid by the 30 second mark. I know some people leave it to about 4 secs but I don't trust my Internet connection that much! I lost out on some great bargains back in the day through a combination of trying to bidsnipe too close and having a poor 'net connection). That said, I tend to get caught up in the bidding frenzy and bid way more than I should, and then sit there going 'oh crap, oh crap' as the price ticks up. Totally my bad and I never pull out of a purchase but I've definitely had my share of overspends due to overzealous bidding. Case in point: I bid on an item earlier that I really should have maxed out at $300 and I bid $500. Got it for just a little north of the $300 in the end but yeah... Could have ended up a bit more broke this month lol.
<<

Lauren

Post Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:44 pm

I get a kick out of people who use those "last second bid" programs. The one day you intend to use it, and Ebay has a total network failure. Sorry last second bidder, you should have bid first. I think it's better to be the first bidder then it is to be the last second bidder, especially if you price it right. I have cheated a lot of last second bidders because I know my Ebay price points on what I bid on.
<<

tpark

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:46 am

Lauren wrote:I get a kick out of people who use those "last second bid" programs. The one day you intend to use it, and Ebay has a total network failure. Sorry last second bidder, you should have bid first. I think it's better to be the first bidder then it is to be the last second bidder, especially if you price it right. I have cheated a lot of last second bidders because I know my Ebay price points on what I bid on.

Since I'm more of a casual lock collector my general strategy is a bit different. For things that are "Buy it Now" I'll simply pay if the price is OK. For auctions, I'll use a bidding service - if I only kind of want the item, I'll only put an entry in the bidding service, but if I really want the auction to run, and there's no bid, I'll put a low "bite" bid in, since the auction can't be removed for the seller once a bid has been entered. Using a bidding service enables me to set up bids, and if I win a more suitable auction in the interim, I can cancel the bidding service entry. This reduces the "fat finger" issue somewhat.

I've found the antique lock thing interesting, because there can be a conflict between "antique" and "functional". Sometimes stuff you get off eBay isn't in the greatest shape. Still, you can get interesting stuff that you can't find elsewhere.
<<

davesnothere11

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:44 pm

Lauren wrote:I get a kick out of people who use those "last second bid" programs. The one day you intend to use it, and Ebay has a total network failure. Sorry last second bidder, you should have bid first. I think it's better to be the first bidder then it is to be the last second bidder, especially if you price it right. I have cheated a lot of last second bidders because I know my Ebay price points on what I bid on.

I've never used a bidding service or program. I wouldn't trust someone or someone's code to be spending my money.

I employ a few diffrent strategies all depending on desirability and rarity. The biggest limitation I encounter is people treating my state linked some distant foreign country who apparently don't know about USPS flat rate shipping.

Return to Random Banter