FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

The Wonders of the Post Service (HELP NEEDED)

<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:37 pm

Re: The Wonders of the Post Service (HELP NEEDED)

Well done Lauren. I got my check from the USPS yesterday...a lot quicker than I expected.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:00 pm

That is great, Lauren! The box is a good idea, if it was not for the time it takes to make one.

BTW - I used that same tool (made by you) two days ago to make a key for a pancake lock. Have to pick another pancake and make a key for it, too.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Lauren

Post Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:37 pm

Someone should make tamper resistant boxes and market them for this purpose. Every time I see mail theft it's been because of easy access, cheap packaging and because the item inside wasn't shake proof.
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:19 pm

After doing a brief stint as a UPS truck loader, whenever I'm shipping something particularly valuable or fragile here's what I do:

-Pack it VERY well with lots of good packing materials (not just air pillows) so the contents can't shift.
At all.
Put a layer in the bottom of the box before the stuff you're shipping.
Make sure to tuck peanuts into every nook and cranny as you fill the box with the stuff you're shipping.
Once it's all full, give it some light shaking/vibrating so small voids you missed will fill in with peanuts.
Slightly overfill it with packing peanuts on top, so you have to lightly compress them when you close the lid.

-Tape all seams (including the corner one the mfg glued during assembly) AND all edges/corners.

-Put a belt of tape all the way around the middle of the box on each axis (three axes, in case you're counting) so the ends of the tape overlap each other. This will ensure every flat side has tape across it in two directions, making a "+" sign. This is to prevent bursting in case of being dropped from a high level or if it's crushed. And to reinforce all the other tape.

-Put the name and address of the recipient on the box with a felt tip marker. Put clear tape over the address so it won't get messed up if it gets wet. This is just your inner box. The address is in case the outer box is caught in sorting machinery and torn off, so they can still get this inner box to the destination. I've seen boxes not only get caught and punctured, crushed or mangled, but completely torn to pieces to the point there wasn't a whole lot left to even tape back together to try to rescue the contents and send them on their way.

-Now you take that box and you put it inside another sturdy cardboard box. Make sure you have packing materials between the two boxes on all sides so that if anything punctures the outer box, hopefully it won't reach the inner box.

-Tape that outer box in pretty much the same way as the inner box. Some folks I know recommend gluing the flaps down, but I haven't found it to be necessary if you follow all these other steps.

-Make sure any old shipping labels, bar codes, etc are FULLY obscured or removed. Some people will reuse shipping boxes, which is awesome and great for the environment, but if a loader in a hurry scans the wrong barcode it might take a while for your package to get to the right place, assuming it ever makes it.

-Apply your shipping label and postage, once again putting a piece of clear tape over just the recipient's address.

And that's about it. Or at least all I can remember right now.

Yeah, it takes some time and effort, but so far I've never had a package lost or damaged while doing this.
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:13 am

Lets not forget, this thread is about the locks so dont forget to keep an eye out. I think everyone stressed the importance of taping. Jeff to a hit on the locks and now taking a hit from this thread. My bad Jeff :)
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:27 pm

Papa Gleb wrote:Lets not forget, this thread is about the locks so dont forget to keep an eye out. I think everyone stressed the importance of taping. Jeff to a hit on the locks and now taking a hit from this thread. My bad Jeff :)

This is true :yep: Duly noted
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:56 pm

don't worry, I have learned my lesson!
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

Lauren

Post Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:32 pm

Papa Gleb wrote:Lets not forget, this thread is about the locks so dont forget to keep an eye out. I think everyone stressed the importance of taping. Jeff to a hit on the locks and now taking a hit from this thread. My bad Jeff :)

I don't get it...Who's taking a hit, Jeff? For being robbed by the USPS or for people like myself, trying to use creative ideas to prevent future problems? Remember, I was a USPS victim too the same day. That's why this thread caught my interest.
<<

tpark

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:56 pm

Lauren wrote:Someone should make tamper resistant boxes and market them for this purpose. Every time I see mail theft it's been because of easy access, cheap packaging and because the item inside wasn't shake proof.

This thread has had a lot of value for me because I've shipped stuff out without taping it up properly in the past. Fortunately I hadn't lost anything. Recent packages that I've received by the ebay Global Shipping Program have all had the article properly mummified before shipping, so it's clear that something has happened that shippers are now making an effort to make the package resistant to opening and impossible to discern what may be inside by tight packaging. I note that even a key was packaged in a larger box, probably to prevent someone from pocketing it. I didn't fully tape a package I shipped recently, and it made it, but I simply count myself lucky this time.
<<

MrWizard

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:11 am

That really sucks to get a ripped open box missing contents. I have had those boxes ripped just like that before with nothing in it. The ends are very easily ripped if the contents are sliding around or if someone wants in it. Good that USPS paid the claim that is nice to know that.

Not long ago I sent a USPS international small flat rate box to Canada it disappeared never to be found. Tracking showed it made it through customs and was on the truck "out for delivery". Well it went missing from the truck to the front door where it was to be delivered never to be found. Never got scanned delivered so it wasn't stolen off the porch. I am telling this story here since it is a USPS related thread. Here is what I was told when trying to recover either the package or get refunded. Canada Post according to the new "Universal Union Ruling" they signed with USPS now when you send a USPS PRIORITY SMALL FLAT RATE BOX to Canada when it arrives in Canada it is downgraded to "FIRST CLASS" which means it is NOT INSURED or TRACKED at all. This is insane I called Canada Post they told me they are not required to track anything sent in Priority Small Flat Rate Boxes and refused to try even though they clearly can see it went missing from the carriers truck to the front door where it was to be delivered. I said have you questioned that carrier they said no and will not discuss this any farther. Told me if I have a complaint call USPS.

So I called USPS consumer complaints the guy was a real jackass was very rude. He actually told me if I didn't have a tracking number on my receipt other than the customs form number that starts with LC it was NOT sent priority. I said listen moron I'll say it again it was sent in a PRIORITY SMALL FLAT RATE BOX you can't mail it any other way using that box. He then he actually laughed and told me the same thing that those boxes are now downgraded to first class according to the Universal Union Ruling they sign. I said well why isn't this being told to people sending it I never heard of this before. I asked well since it still says on the box Tracked and Insured and is now downgraded to first class without the senders knowledge or agreeing to it I would think the least you could do is refund the difference of the cost for priority to first class. He said I am hanging up now if you have any more complaints contact the post master general and file a claim. So I did that and it was refused!

So since I send many of my semi famous practice locks to Canada I have to tell them this story if they want it sent that way. I will not be held responsible if it goes missing. Since there is no benefit paying for priority flat rate any more I bought smaller boxes so it just makes it in weight to qualify for first class. And bought the special paper tape that is required to send registered mail so it can be tracked and insured. One roll of this tape that the post office used is self adhesive so you don't have to wet it like standard paper tape, cost me 9.00 a roll free shipping on ebay the cheapest place I could even find this tape. It is called Intertape brand Flatback Tape. This is what USPS uses when they have to tape registered mail so it is ok to use even though the post office site says to use the kind you have to wet.

I am not trying to hijack this thread with this lengthy story but think it is a good place to point this out if you are not aware of this Universal Union Ruling. That is all I have to say about that.

I also think I should say if you haven't check the new USPS price increases you better take a look. They have raised rates looks like across the board on Jan 17th and have gone crazy with Flat Rate mail. What was 26.50 to send to anywhere but Canada which was cheaper depending where you send it varies from 31.95 to 34.95 at locations I have had to mail to. Nobody is liking this and I have to try to explain it isn't me it is the Post Office I make nothing on shipping. The more shipping cost the more I have to pay in Paypal fees cause the shipping is in the total cost of the transaction.

Canada use to be what I thought to be the easiest safest international place to send to cause they still show tracking all the way to the door but if it is in Priority Flat Rate Box if it is lost your are screwed. So beware sending in flat rate box.

Ok I am done hope this helps others that may not know any of the above.

Richard
Last edited by MrWizard on Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
Kurt Vonnegut
<<

Lauren

Post Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:57 am

Richard, that's a great story, and you certainly are not hijacking the thread. More members should post great personal stories like this one. I will certainly be more carefully when shipping to Canada. The politics with the post office really sucks. They get your money, and always come back for more postage hikes. Maybe UPS has something better to offer, but man it will be expensive I'm sure.
Previous

Return to Random Banter