FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

DO YOU FIND LOCK PICKING THERAPEUTIC?

YES
63%
NO
5%
SOMEWHAT
32%

Total votes : 19
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:41 pm

does it calm you? does it give you that much-needed "something" to do ?
does it improve your concentration?
does it teach you patience?
does it teach you to NOT give up?
does it give you self worth and value?
does it help you with improving your manual dexterity?
IS picking therapeutic to YOU?,and,if yes, HOW?
" I Love the smell of napalm in the morning!....."

<<

Jinglesanator

Post Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:05 am

Re: DO YOU FIND LOCK PICKING THERAPEUTIC?

Alrighty, it's kinda therapeutic if you put it that way. It has improved my concentration. I have a lot more patience than I used to. (still don't have much!) It has also improved my manual dexterity with things that require a "steady hand". Hell, my handwriting is even better than it was before! :mrgreen: You're not alone wiz! :D
Image Keep on Pushin'
<<

Snor

Familiar Face

Post Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:44 am

does it calm you?
It most certainly does, when I'm pissed of I just sit down and pick mindlessly for about half an hour and I'm calm again.

does it give you that much-needed "something" to do ?
I would be bored to hell without the lockpicking in my life, it is something that is always on my mind. Plus it is a social thing, to be able to go online and discuss shit with you guys. It have also helped me to find my call in life to be a locksmith.

Sort of, my concentration was not something I was having problems with before I started lockpicking but I think that it have helped me improving my concentration.

Oh yeah! Patience is up 200% since I picked this hobby up!

This is something that I have had to learn in order to pick particularly persistent locks, most of the time when I cant pick a lock I put it away for a day or two but I always come back to it until I get the fucker open.

It is something that I can say that I have become good at in a short time and that feels really good. It is fulfilling to easily pick locks you where having giant troubles with one month earlier.

Maybe, if it has the change must have been very gradual and I just haven't noticed.

Lockpicking is like how I deal with stuff, as I said above, when I get angry I pick and when I'm happy I pick, when I'm bored I pick. If life feels like shit lockpicking is really good to get your mind of all that other stuff and just concentrate on the task in front of you. Its like a drug and I can't get enough.

All and all lockpicking is one of the best things to happen in my life. Ray, I don't know what I would be doing if I wouldn't have found your lockpicking videos on that fateful day but I sure as hell wouldn't be as happy with my life as I am today.
Houndour wrote:Snor, the Keypicking resident Lubricant Expert in making. For all your lube needs!!! LOL!
m0ose wrote:And last, but not least, we have Snor. He's pretty pimp and a good guy to chat with.
http://www.youtube.com/user/SSnor
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:21 am

does it calm you? - Yes, otherwise I'd whip out the NHM91 w/ bipod and drum magazine, 7.62 x 39 mm steel core ammo
does it give you that much-needed "something" to do ? - Ditto. See previous.
does it improve your concentration? - What was that? Say that again...I was concentrating on something else.
does it teach you patience? - Yes, absolutely. I need that. I'm typically a knee-jerk reactionary - now I'm more selective about when and where I kick.
does it teach you to NOT give up? - Yes
does it give you self worth and value? - I was always a snob, now I'm much worse.
does it help you with improving your manual dexterity? - BOTH of my wrists are now the same size. I can jerk off a chihuahua and a gorilla simultaneously - spin around three times and not miss a stroke.
IS picking therapeutic to YOU?,and,if yes, HOW? - Good therapy and much cheaper than a shrink. I can now buy more locks to pick.
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:52 am

HallisChalmers wrote:does it calm you? - Yes, otherwise I'd whip out the NHM91 w/ bipod and drum magazine, 7.62 x 39 mm steel core ammo
does it give you that much-needed "something" to do ? - Ditto. See previous.
does it improve your concentration? - What was that? Say that again...I was concentrating on something else.
does it teach you patience? - Yes, absolutely. I need that. I'm typically a knee-jerk reactionary - now I'm more selective about when and where I kick.
does it teach you to NOT give up? - Yes
does it give you self worth and value? - I was always a snob, now I'm much worse.
does it help you with improving your manual dexterity? - BOTH of my wrists are now the same size. I can jerk off a chihuahua and a gorilla simultaneously - spin around three times and not miss a stroke.
IS picking therapeutic to YOU?,and,if yes, HOW? - Good therapy and much cheaper than a shrink. I can now buy more locks to pick.

oMFG!! LOL!!! i justa'bout s#it meself reading that!
too much....=)
" I Love the smell of napalm in the morning!....."

<<

Wozzlock

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:49 pm

Hell yeah, it's like when I'm on my bike. It's ALL I'm thinking of for a short period of time... lets the stresses of the day just fade away for a bit.

Well it does untill I try and pop this evil Yale that I have :x
<<

nozza36

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:31 pm

I enjoy puzzles in general , so yes i do find it uplifting , especially when i pop a lock for the first time if i've had to try more than one approach.
As for my manual dexterity , i was a Croupier for 18 years and i'm being totally honest when i say my hands are exceptional ! that said i don't think my brain translates the feedback well at all , i'm really struggling with Mushroom pins at the moment :cry:
Open Sez Me !
<<

ratyoke

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:08 pm

does it calm you? Not really. If I am in a bad mood picking won't fix it. because I will go at the lock with the attitude that I just want to get the f**king thing open, and I'll get pissed when it doesn't just pop open. If I am already calm it calms me more.

does it give you that much-needed "something" to do ? No, I have plenty of other things I should be doing.

does it improve your concentration? Hard to say. I think my concentration was pretty good to begin with.

does it teach you patience? I hope so. I am getting less patient as I get older.

does it teach you to NOT give up? It teaches me not to give up... on locks. I don't think thats carrying over in to other aspects of my life though.

does it give you self worth and value? I wold have said yes, but recently I tried to show off to a friend by trying to pick her apt door... but couldn't get the lock open in a reasonable amount of time. She laughed at me and said I couldn't do it.

does it help you with improving your manual dexterity? I think so.
<<

pinhead1304

Familiar Face

Post Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:52 pm

awol70 wrote:does it calm you? does it give you that much-needed "something" to do ?

yes to all.
A zealous locksmith died of late,

And did arrive at heaven gate,

He stood without and would not knock,

Because he meant to pick the lock.

Return to Random Banter