FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Honeywell Fire Chest

<<

Jinglesanator

Post Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:50 pm

Honeywell Fire Chest

Just another noob question, not my "specialty" (notice quotation marks). It may be one of those disk detainer locks, but I have absolutely no idea. Here's the website, but I've noticed that I can pull out the key halfway turned, which is odd compared to pin tumblers.

https://www.honeywellsafes.com/sites/prod_detail.cfm?product_id=1
Image Keep on Pushin'
<<

USApicker

Familiar Face

Post Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:01 pm

Re: Honeywell Fire Chest

that looks like a wafer lock. you can pull out the key halfway turned because there are probably higher cuts closer to the bow, and lower cuts near the tip.
<<

Brendan

Post Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:45 pm

USApicker wrote:that looks like a wafer lock. you can pull out the key halfway turned because there are probably higher cuts closer to the bow, and lower cuts near the tip.

how would you know that you can pull the key out when half way turned, you can't even see the key, you would be correct if the cuts went from shallow to deep cuts but lock manufactures have already thought of this.
<<

GutterClown

Post Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:47 pm

Wafer lock.

Double Sided Convenience key, which means the cuts are on both sides of the keys, and are exactly the same.

Wafer locks use thin discs contained entirely in the plug\core of the lock, which are spring loaded. When no key is inserted, they fire out to bind into the housing to prevent turning.
When the incorrect key is inserted, some wafers will be out too far, and some will be depressed too far, causing the other end of the wafer to bind on the other side of the core. (6 oclock, rather than 12 oclock)

Due to the way these locks work, the housing of the lock will have two channels running the entire length that the wafers are free to move into, when a key is inserted, or without. Because the wafer can be above the shearline on the top OR bottom of the plug, an unrestricted plug can be turned 180 degrees and the key removed.
A lot of cam locks on lockers and filing cabinets use this feature, so they can be 'locked open'.

That is exactly what this fire chest has. A double sided convenience key cam lock, with a 180 degree function, allowing it to be locked open, or locked closed.

Is that what you were wondering?

Google resulted in a youtube video.
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=QOFW9-SB-yM
Last edited by GutterClown on Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

m0ose

Post Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:57 pm

GutterClown wrote:Wafer lock.

Double Sided Convenience key, which means the cuts are on both sides of the keys, and are exactly the same.

Wafer locks use thin discs contained entirely in the plug\core of the lock, which are spring loaded. When no key is inserted, they fire out to bind into the housing to prevent turning.
When the incorrect key is inserted, some wafers will be out too far, and some will be depressed too far, causing the other end of the wafer to bind on the other side of the core. (6 oclock, rather than 12 oclock)

Due to the way these locks work, the housing of the lock will have two channels running the entire length that the wafers are free to move into, when a key is inserted, or without. Because the wafer can be above the shearline on the top OR bottom of the plug, an unrestricted plug can be turned 180 degrees and the key removed.
A lot of cam locks on lockers and filing cabinets use this feature, so they can be 'locked open'.

That is exactly what this fire chest has. A double sided convenience key cam lock, with a 180 degree function, allowing it to be locked open, or locked closed.

Is that what you were wondering?

Also, to clarify something. These are NOT the same as a Double Bitted Cam Lock. It took me a while to figure that out. A double bitted cam lock is like a wafer lock on crack, but it is not the same as the convenience key Gutter talks about.

(Just sharing some information I was confused on for a short time myself. That way you can skip the idiot moments yourself. :P)
<<

Jinglesanator

Post Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:20 am

Thanks guys! Now the question is, how do I go about picking this? Do I need one of those funky double sided picks? How do you tension this thing? I'm not too familiar with wafer locks as you can see... :D. Oh, just a side note, the key looks really weird, the sides don't vary, they look like a double sided bump key if that makes sense. Thanks for all your help.
Image Keep on Pushin'
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:55 am

Jinglesanator wrote:Thanks guys! Now the question is, how do I go about picking this? Do I need one of those funky double sided picks? How do you tension this thing? I'm not too familiar with wafer locks as you can see... :D. Oh, just a side note, the key looks really weird, the sides don't vary, they look like a double sided bump key if that makes sense. Thanks for all your help.

Jingles - Listen to Gutterclown. Read his post again and click on the Youtube link he provided. It shows a kid picking it w/ a half-diamond. Read & heed.
<<

Jinglesanator

Post Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:30 am

HallisChalmers wrote:
Jinglesanator wrote:Thanks guys! Now the question is, how do I go about picking this? Do I need one of those funky double sided picks? How do you tension this thing? I'm not too familiar with wafer locks as you can see... :D. Oh, just a side note, the key looks really weird, the sides don't vary, they look like a double sided bump key if that makes sense. Thanks for all your help.

Jingles - Listen to Gutterclown. Read his post again and click on the Youtube link he provided. It shows a kid picking it w/ a half-diamond. Read & heed.

Sorry, forgot to click the link, I got it open!
Image Keep on Pushin'
<<

m0ose

Post Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:51 am

Wafer locks are very minimum security. I've literally picked an older style wafer padlock with a toe nail. To explain, it was pretty long and starting to hurt so I bit it off of my right big toe and noticed it was really firm. So I just fucked around and I opened it. Obviously they vary in how hard they are, but they are nothing compared to even a basic pin tumbler.

Jingle, if you want I might have a practice wafer lock around here somewhere. I'm not sure if I have enough wafers to pin it to six, but I think I have enough to at least give you five wafers to try. I can't promise though, I did just ship one out, so I'm not 100% sure I have another in great shape. If not I'll try to put my Foley-Belsaw course to work and beg them for another package. :P
<<

Snor

Familiar Face

Post Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:06 pm

You should watch him pick with his mouth.
Houndour wrote:Snor, the Keypicking resident Lubricant Expert in making. For all your lube needs!!! LOL!
m0ose wrote:And last, but not least, we have Snor. He's pretty pimp and a good guy to chat with.
http://www.youtube.com/user/SSnor

Return to Random Banter