FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Creating a new Lockpick company...

<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:29 pm

Re: Creating a new Lockpick company...

Theres more money in knowledge,take locksmith books,mortise id books,car opening books,the list his endless.
with the knowledge on this site alone,along with photos,methods of picking,best tools to use.
why not publish,market it,copyright it.

DO WHAT WE DO BEST.
<<

LockManipulator

Post Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:18 pm

maybe as an idea offer a small quick manual on lockpicking. Lots of newbies look at picks but have no idea how to actually pick a lock so if they see that a free manual come with the picks, they will be more inclined to buy.
<<

LocksmithArmy

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:28 pm

I like that idea Daggers... writing one up will be easy too...

Im considering a "pre-sale" selling picks before i have them made... and if people wanted to support with more money im considering some special products that wont be in the full line. but that wont even be an option untill i can get some quotes on the metal... once i get prices figured up i may do something of the sort.

as for quality my goal is to be better (or atleas equal to) than peterson in strength and cheaper...

to me price is not an issue... if it cost me $100 for a pick that will never ever break or bend at all... adamantium short hook... id have bought it long ago... although i realize money is an issue to most hobbiests and the unbreakable pick is impossible... i dont mind buying more expensive metal if it means better picks. with the intent of keeping my picks under $10 each...
Pokey wrote:"Come and get me, loser! Spankity spankity spankity!"
<<

Aedalas

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:14 pm

LocksmithArmy wrote:and if people wanted to support with more money im considering some special products that wont be in the full line. but that wont even be an option untill i can get some quotes on the metal... once i get prices figured up i may do something of the sort.
I'd be interested in a high quality custom, sign me up. Not all that interested in another set but I do have a piece of advice about them. SANDING! As far as I can tell every mass produced pick on the market needs sanding, it would be a major selling point to people who have any experience in lock picking. Polishing might be a bit labor intensive, but maybe could be sold as an optional extra.
"What if you people made giant boulders illegal because of all the innocent people who get killed by giant boulders?"
"People dont kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"
<<

steveslock

Familiar Face

Post Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:39 pm

It sounds like you are trying to market to hobbyist, most of them are going to be concerned about price. They are going to be hard pressed to spend even half of what your talking about on the open market. They are going to make picks from wiper blades and copy what you already have in production. You have a lot of knowledge, might want to start writing high security literature or think about producing bypass tools for professionals.

Most professional locksmiths do not have the time to produce their own tools, this is why tooling in the industry is so ridiculously expensive (because it can be). They are willing and able to spend the bucks for a decent tool at a extremely high price if there is no other choice and it makes their job easier/more profitable in the long run. When a locksmith is presented with a tool at a very cheap price they are usually going to use that because that particular problem the tool solves is saturated with high dollar tools. I can buy a pick for a buck from our local distributor shipped to my shop next day. I can only buy my safe tools from a few limited manufactures and they are super expensive for what you get.

Another thing to think about is where you are shipping since you are shipping tools that require licensing in certain states in order to own. Just a thought. In the long run its great you want to start your own business and hope you success with it.
<<

LocksmithArmy

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:21 pm

im not catering to hobbiests. Id love to be in every locksmoth shop accross the country and in every FBI mans pocket aswell. its just that hobbiests give the best feedback as we are congrigated in this glorious location...

but you bring up a decent point, what is a reasonable price... is $10 a pick too much to ask for EVERYONE... if these are the best quality on the market what is a fair price to allow even the new pickers to pocket them.

personally i never liked paying 15 for petersons... but i did not mind so much the 8 dollar ones...

of course price is dependant on the manufacturing costs but hypothetically id like a target goal from people who would buy them, hobbiests and locksmiths alike. a dollar is unreasonably low to ask for a finished product... what would you guys be comfortable paying for quality?
<<

Violaetor

Post Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:25 pm

I would think $8-10 for a bare-pick, and $12-15 for a handled one. But then again you really should see where your time/materials lands you (make sure you include cost of shipping orders and repair/replacement for machines - deburring machines/wheels and sanding belts add up really quick)
Looking to get something made? Send me a PM!
<<

LocksmithArmy

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:28 pm

yeah yeah i totally understand that my costs are dependant on my processes... but im taking quotes across the interwebs and integrating them into a price per pick format... e.g. 1 quote got me metal and cut for abt 7.24 a pick... not gonna cut it since i still have to finish em and make a profit... unless i wanted to charge 15 a pick... which i dont...
<<

jailersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:53 pm

If I paid $12.50 for a pick that lasted and worked well and then broke it. I would probably consider anther $12.50 for a replacement. After all, we are perfectionists at heart. I just paid peterson $15.00 plus $7.95 shipping for a hook. Handle became detached in less than 30 days. Pick was replaced for an addition $7.95 shipping. So I have $30.90 in one pick, of course that includes shipping.
<<

piotr

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:23 pm

I'd definitely invest in your company LSA. I would buy picks and learning materials from you. I'd pay US$10 per pick, no problems.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:31 pm

an HPC pick costs me a few bucks but the quality is not there...I bought some custom picks for 20 bucks a pop and the difference is night and day. I am willing to pay more (within a reasonable amount) for something that I KNOW is going to hold up better...just like my other tools.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

LockManipulator

Post Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:10 pm

i would personally pay up to $12 for a good quality pick. I would be even more happy if it was $10. The idea of having a handle or not as an option for a little extra is a good idea since i know some people like handles but i personally prefer none so it would be cheaper to those that don't want handles. A good material is what windshield wipers are made out of. Since the wipers get wet, they are made to not rust and that is a plus. They also have the right flexibility and strength. I make my own picks from them and i have never broken one before.
<<

LocksmithArmy

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:29 pm

It the current rate prices will be set at $8 a pick.

The metal is ordered and on its way to the cutter, once its cut it shall be on its way to me for first round prototype testing... Once Im satisfied I shall send a few out to members for reviewing...

first round will not be finished, there will be no sanding or polishing done.
Im going to have a presale 25% discount for everyone who purchases picks in the presale. Hopefully that should raise enough money to get the vibratory finisher and allow me to send finished products when i begin selling the full line...

so in the coming weeks expect the announcement with the website where the picks can be purchased aswell as the discount code for all presale picks.
Im considering some special bonuses for people who purchase larger ammounts of picks... the full line is 10 picks, im considering giving a special double sided pick for those who purchase the full line of picks... (it is being cut with the prototypes to be tested aswell)
Bonuses will be announced when the sale is announced.

that is all for now...

o and just for posterity... by the time i get the prototypes... ill have spend less than $150 on the entire business... far less than $87,000 ;)
<<

LockManipulator

Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:45 pm

LocksmithArmy wrote:

o and just for posterity... by the time i get the prototypes... ill have spend less than $150 on the entire business... far less than $87,000 ;)

You know the right way to do business!
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:42 pm

Give us a heads up on when they will be available and price etc so I can have some money saved up.
PreviousNext

Return to Random Banter