FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Cutting wheel and Manual for an Acme Model D

<<

Old-Guy

Post Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:28 am

Cutting wheel and Manual for an Acme Model D

With my interest running more toward cutting by code and duplicating than actual picking, I am still practicing though, I bought an Acme Model D code cutter and duplicating machine. It is a neat little machine, old and no longer supported, in fact the label on the cutter itself says it was made by Dire's Locksmiths Supply Co. of Denver CO. whom I think has ceased operations. The cutting wheel is a RF wheel and it is 2.75" in diameter, 0.25" thick and the bore is 0.375", the cutter is a 90 degree "V" shape and it looks like the apex is flat cut but it is worn and I'm not sure. I was told by a guy named Tom that manages an antique key cutting machine museum that, he believes the series I have was made about mid-twentieth century.

Not knowing much about the machine, I probably paid way to much for it but it is really cool looking. I man I bought it from has been retire for twenty or thirty years and it was stored in a garage and un used and uncared for about twenty years. I brought it home and set it up cleaned the parts that really needed it to run and proceeded to make a key from the code on one of my practice cores. It worked the first time out and I'v made a couple since then that also work fine. I have six code discs and for the time being, I don't think I want to invest in any old locks I don't feel I'll be seeing.

So, I have two questions, does anyone have a link to someone who may have an original cutter that is at least sharp and does anyone know where I might find a manual or PDF of the manual.

I have been looking for a substitute cutter and it is exhausting to say the least. I have decided that if an original spec RF cutter is not available, I will got with a Fine Milling cutter in either 2.75 or 2.5" size. I have checked and it appears that I can go to 2.5" D cutter but that 0.375 bore is a bugger to find.

TIA for any help, Old-Guy
<<

just1pick+open

Post Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:43 am

Re: Cutting wheel and Manual for an Acme Model D

Here is a link to a place that sharpens cutter wheels. http://gilraytools.com/ Maybe this will help.
xeo: i use an electric buzzer exclusively for my ass that gets sanitized afterwards
PhoneMan: would have freaked my friend out if hed come over
MBI: Most anything goes.
PhoneMan: way to give me nightmares
selim: ok then blow your load,, i'll take anything free now a day's
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:36 pm

Old Guy, HPC uses a .375" spindle size if my measuring skills haven't left me. That is a slightly larger diameter than I am seeing though. It looks like there is some variety with them but they are in the 2.4" range.
I found this on another post here as I read on, https://www.locksmithtoolandsupply.com/ ... chines.pdf it looks like some good info for you on page 30.
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

bitbuster

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:41 am

OLD GUY, my old hand-crank Acme was made in Denver. Cutting wheel has same measurements as yours. The cutting wheel was made by H. Hoffman
Co., Chicago. Cutting wheel is # C.W. 8. (at least that's how mine is marked). I've had larger diameter wheels sharpened by Gil-Ray. Mark usually answers the phone himself and does a great job of all wheel sharpenings. Meanwhile, I will continue to look for the book/manual that came with it.
'Gunter glieben glauten globen' Def Leppard, Rock of Ages, 1983
<<

Old-Guy

Post Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:23 pm

Thank you to everyone who responded to my questions about my new to me 1950s' code machine. To BitBuster, I finally removed my cutter and using my dremel tool with a wheel that is like a scotchbright pad, cleaned the wheel. As it turns out, under all the rust was an arrow for direction of rotation, Disston USA and the number 10. Bitbuster, I'd love to have a copy of that manual if you ever find it. I'll let Mark at GILRAY know what your cutting wheel says too. Just2pickandopen, Tom at the Antique Key Machine Museum in PA. told me about Mark too. I talked to him this morning and I'm waiting for his reply to an email I sent with photos of the cutter.

Thanks again Guys

OldGuy

Return to Supplies