FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

MicroMetric Machine

<<

kabbyman

Post Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:11 pm

MicroMetric Machine

I've had cutter for many years, need replacement cutting wheel, no numbers on my old wheel, I think by measuring with my caliper its an Ilco 23RF. Any help will be appreciated.
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:30 pm

Re: MicroMetric Machine

<<

Random

Familiar Face

Post Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:32 pm

Not to hijack a thread but how can i tell that my cutting wheel needs replacing?
<<

bitbuster

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:11 pm

leave cutting wheel on your machine and take your right thumb nail and bring it up on the wheel. the thumb nail should 'dig' into the wheel. DO NOT TURN on machine while doing this. this is called 'the thumbnail test'. if nail doesn't 'dig' in then wheel needs replacing or needs sharpening. also, check cut key for chatter marks and 'round' cuts.

KABBYMAN: have your wheel sharpened at http://www.GilRaytools.com
Mark will assist you. give him a call, he usually answers the phone himself. He does all my dull wheels. price is half or less than cost of new wheel.
'Gunter glieben glauten globen' Def Leppard, Rock of Ages, 1983
<<

kabbyman

Post Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:39 pm

My old wheel is in bad shape, at least 3 teeth missing, don't know how but they are, doubt if it could be sharpened, thanks for the tip though
<<

bitbuster

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:51 pm

a maximum of 3 missing teeth per wheel is allowable as long as missing teeth are separated by 3 good teeth. Mark will sharpen a 23RF for $13.95 + shipping. Give him a call and he will tell you for sure if he can sharpen your wheel with 3 missing teeth. He also may have a sharpened 23RF in stock. Go to his website.
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:38 pm

You dont NEED to have exactly the same cutter. I have the same machine as you and its a simple little duplicator so as long as the inner hole diameter is the same you can use any cutter, well almost any cutter but Im sure you get my point. To be honest I would trash the original cutter for a cutter more V shaped. Ill take a look at my machine and get back to you with what my cutter is as I am 99% sure its original.

Wow Bit thanks for that link. That price is increbile. Ill be contacting Mark for sure. Can you also please explain what you mean by "nail digs into the wheel"
<<

kabbyman

Post Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:55 pm

wow Bitbuster I will call him tomorrow, I looked at my wheel again, and I have plenty of teeth between the nicks,

Thanks
<<

kabbyman

Post Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:58 pm

Papa,
Yeah please check and let me know, I do have two other main machines, but this is a handy one for certain stuff. I like to use it some if I'm copying of depth key set.
Thanks
<<

bitbuster

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:08 pm

PG, my written explanation is a bit vague. With cutting wheel still on machine (and machine unplugged), take left hand and hold wheel to prevent movement. Take right thumb and press back-side of nail gently against wheel and then with an upward motion , lift nail and drag against wheel. A sharp wheel will "bite' into the nail. A dull wheel may leave marks but won't have the distinctive 'bite'.
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:27 am

Sorry mate didnt have a chance to check yesterday, was busy unpacking :)
Ill check today for sure.
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:58 am

Nope, nothing stamped or written on my cutter as well but a review of my prior research on this machine shows that it is a 23RF cutter
<<

Kezo

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:27 pm

If the cutter leaves brass peels on the cut key, this means a dull cutter too right? Especially if the key is a standard brass blank. Not some hardier nickle silver blank.
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:03 pm

I used one of these for a very long time (15 yrs. maybe) as a back up and kept it in my trunk with a 12 volt power supply and some common blanks, for emergencies. I dislike rotary files (the RF in 23RF) and switched to a milling cutter, and it screams. I did re-radius the guide so that it matched the new angle of the cutter. It's time with me is over as I am gifting it to a co-worker so it may continue to work for him. It is a great little machine as long as you don't have large bow keys to make, there's not much room between the vises! (It has been replaced with a Rytan by the way.)
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin

Return to Supplies