FAQ  •  My feedback  •  Feedback
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Plug follower advice

<<

scudo

Post Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:39 pm

Re: Plug follower advice

Not quite sure what was holding them but think it was some burring on the brass more than likely caused by a broken spring.
Below is a picture of the remains, I am not sure if No2 stack should have 3 pins or if one pin belongs to No1 stack, I have still to work that out.
As you can see 1 spring broken, I probably caught that when drilling (3rd stack) One totally wrecked and one missing.

pins 5.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Doogs

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:23 pm

Looks like they balanced the pin stacks. Just try to make the total length of each pin stack the same so long bottom pin with short driver and vice versa. I'll be off to the P.O. shortly Stan so you'll have
some security pins to load into that puppy in the near future along with the much needed springs.

Looking at the key top pin (tp) 3 goes with (bp) 4 , 2 short TP's are for 1 & 3, TP 4 goes with 2. Think I got that right. like I said try to match total lengths to be equal.

ETA:
Those springs look short hope mine will work if not I'm sure someone here will fix you up as I only have the one length. - Or if you have a locky close by I'm sure he'll give you some for a few coppers.
The other, other, other, other Mike

(21:55:20) HAL 9001RC:: Heh heh uh heh uh heh uh uh heh PhoneMan said ass
<<

scudo

Post Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:22 pm

Do you mean top pin as per previous image or key pin? I may have confused this but reading your post and using photoshop I get this, should be reasonably accurate scale wise..

key y.jpg

P.S. the springs are 7mm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Doogs

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:38 am

Looking at that pic it certainly doesn't look correct so I'm going to defer to some more experienced chaps. Hitting chat and getting them over here to look at it. As I may be leading you down the garden path! Those key/bottom pins should create a straight line at the shear point and they don't from what I can tell.
Last edited by Doogs on Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:46 am

To me it looks like most of the top pins are way too short. This would allow the pin stack to be below the shearline when at rest.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

Doogs

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:56 am

These pin stacks look totally wonky to me #4 key pin sits too high, short top pins! Nothing looks right to me. Try putting the key in the plug then drop the key pins into the plug chambers and make sure everything lines up with the shear line scudo. After that I'm not sure might have to repin with new drivers and check for spring compression.

<<

Doogs

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:04 am

Riyame wrote:To me it looks like most of the top pins are way too short. This would allow the pin stack to be below the shearline when at rest.

Probably why there were damaged springs. Giving a false set and rotation?

<<

Doogs

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:38 am

Sorry Stan Don't mean to confuse you but I believe this is what will balance the pin stacks or as close to it as possible.

The shortest top pins go with the ! & 3 Key pins, the longest top pins go with 4 & 5 key pins, the middle length top pin goes with key pin 2. Based on counting 1 through 5 from the Bow of the key ( right to left).

This should make the total height (key pin height plus top pin height) equal or close to equal across all the pin stacks.

<<

scudo

Post Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:40 am

Thanks for the comments guys, I will put the key pins in the plug and re do the layout. I will then take some measurements of the total pin stack height and see what that comes up with.

It is possible the lock was in a damaged state, although it was boxed it could have been damaged in situ and when replaced the damaged one put back in the box. It came from a post office and nothing would surprise me, when I collected the rosengren safe I was left unsupervised in a room with a wide open door safe with over a £1 million just sitting there, made me nervous as hell.

I`ll get back later in the day with some more detail.
<<

scudo

Post Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:27 am

OK I measured each stack I could be very silghtly out as I didnt want to grip too tightly and ping one off again but the measurements were:
Stack1 7mm
Stack2 7mm
Stack3 7mm
Stack4 7mm
Stack5 6.5mm
The image doesnt quite reflect that but that could be the angle of the camera. The key pins in the plug are flush so I am quite confident they are now correct.

5pin.JPG
<<

scudo

Post Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:17 pm

Received the pins today from Doogs so hopefully will get the the lock back to working order in the next day ot two.
<<

Doogs

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:31 pm

Can't believe Canada Post and British Post actually managed to get them to you that fast. Actually thought customs might hold them up as I realised afterwardswrote "Tumbler pins" on the Customs tag and figured they might think they were bomb parts LOL.

Glad you got them for Xmas anyway and hopefully they put some life back into that lock and give you hours of enjoyment (or frustration) from it.

Seasons Greetings
Mike

Previous

Return to Uber-Noob