FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Polishing brass

<<

MrWizard

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:08 pm

Re: Polishing brass

CLR might say not to use it on brass copper or aluminum because it may etch soft metal but have used it often many times with good results but I don't leave it on for just a minute or so full strength and use a soft nylon brush to work it in with a little water on the brush to get into all areas then use a soft hand held brass wire brush like you can get from harbor freight, It make it shine just the right amount and doesn't scratch it like a 3M green pad will. If you don't use the brass brush it may have a dull look. I tried it one time just to see what it would do as noting else was working and was shocked how well it removed bad looking oxidation in seconds but always wash it really good to stop the chemical process then wire brush it if needed. I don't like a super shinny look but can get it that way. Always try any chemical cleaners on small area to see if it will give you what you are looking for.
"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
Kurt Vonnegut
<<

flywheel

Post Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:48 am

Sometimes the angle of reflected light or nearby objects give metal a strange color. I put the lock and keys in the same picture so they can be compared accurately. Considering the lock and key are paired it really shows how the product used can affect the appearance.
2014-11-26 09.26.45.jpg
2014-11-26 09.27.32.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:20 pm

:shock:
WOW!
What a difference.
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:39 pm

flywheel wrote:Sometimes the angle of reflected light or nearby objects give metal a strange color. I put the lock and keys in the same picture so they can be compared accurately. Considering the lock and key are paired it really shows how the product used can affect the appearance.

Is it really that red or just from the light? If it isnt the light I suspect the difference is due to different alloys as well. The lock might have more of something which made it that colour.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

flywheel

Post Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:46 pm

Riyame wrote:Is it really that red or just from the light? If it isnt the light I suspect the difference is due to different alloys as well. The lock might have more of something which made it that colour.

It's possible that the lock alloy is significantly different but I suspect the CLR bath has more to do with it's color than that. The key only had BKF on it. Previously I mentioned a pinkish hue on the lock and that picture really captures it.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:12 pm

Hmm... gotta say I don't like how the lock turned out.

The key looks great though. Not too bright, and it left
some darker portions on the bow and milling just right.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

flywheel

Post Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:59 pm

BKF's main ingredient is oxalic acid. Vinegar's main ingredient is acetic acid. Maybe vinegar can remove brass tarnish too. Here are the results after forgetting about it a for a couple hours. But then again the vinegar is probably 10 years old and who knows how well the cap is sealed. Once again I only used a napkin to wipe it off.
2014-11-26 14.43.59.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

MrWizard

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:54 pm

If your locks are turning pink don't use it. Comparing the brass key to the body of that old hurd lock that it's material maybe more of a bronze like material isn't a good way to compare the results. I have seen locks made of bronze but the keys are made of brass. Try it on a lock not so old see if you see pink.

Bronze may have a more red/browner look than brass. Never soak one in a bath of CLR just pour it over the surface then use a soft nylon brush immediately then wash it quickly to stop the chemical process. Then use a soft brass brush if the finish has a dull look to get that coating off of it usually shines like new in minutes.

I only clean a brass lock if it has a bad looking uneven patina then allow it to tarnish evenly again. Best to never clean an old lock unless you hate the way it looks.

I got this Lockwood it looked horrible with various colors of dark discoloring and white paint all over it. The shackle was completely rusted I hated the way it looked. I used CLR on it came completely clean but had a dull finish I used a brass brush with a little water it ended up looking like the picture you see. No matter what I do to it will it shine like new brass so it is the metal type itself is the only answer I came up with. Looks similar to that Hurd as far as not shiny brass color. I am more than happy with the results on this one as it sits proudly on my shelf before it would be hiding in a junk drawer.

Lockwood Front 01.jpg

Lockwood Back 01.jpg

I have a different Lockwood same Clover design it is clearly a different type of brass as it can be made to shine and looks brass color so what the metal is made of will give you completely different results.

Richard
"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
Kurt Vonnegut
Previous

Return to Uber-Noob