FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Background color

<<

flywheel

Post Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:48 pm

Background color

Good evening,
Any way to change the background color of this site? I mean as a user preference rather than a site redesign. Yes, there are browser options but I would rather not do that.

<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:49 pm

Re: Background color

Currently no there is no way to do that. The site has one theme and one theme only. As far as I know there are no plans to add or change the existing theme.
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:26 pm

Who dares question the dark side?! :shock:

:rofl:
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

flywheel

Post Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:32 pm

:lsaber: I do!
<<

Oldfast

Post Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:48 pm

LOL! A single angel among hoards of demons. I must commend you :salute: LOL!
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:16 pm

There are, or at least used to be, other skins that were available to download and install at the server level for this forum software. However, on another lockpicking forum I helped run a while back we discovered that it created untold headaches due to page formatting problems that cropped up every time we turned our backs. Every single change we made to the forum, no matter how small, we'd have to test it in every skin and with every browser, then figure out WHY it was causing a formatting problem with that ONE skin and ONE browser, and fix it in a way that didn't cause a page formatting problem in ANOTHER skin and browser. It was tedious and took FOREVER. We abandoned offering multiple skins for the forum after only about two months. elbowmacaroni and xeo handle all that back-end stuff on this forum so I can't say for sure, but if I had to take a guess, I'd venture to say that's why we just offer our Darkside skin.
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:43 pm

Skin color should never make a difference...ya bunch of racists!
Nemo Malus Felix
<<

Josephus

Post Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:14 pm

Disclaimer: I have not specialized in user visible web stuff in over a decade.

Seems that other people modify CA Black and other themes rather often to adjust the color. Interestingly it is not too difficult to use CSS inheritance to keep everything the same except color variables or whatever. For something user dependent it takes implementing another variable, adding code to read it in template overall header and then loading the correct css file. Of course all the difficulty is in implementation and testing.

Still, it is a lot of work just for a small portion of people to use it when there are so many client side options with far more flexibility that can do a better job.
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:43 pm

Josephus wrote:...Still, it is a lot of work just for a small portion of people to use it ...

Yep, which is why it's not happening.
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:17 pm

Talking of the dark side - slightly off topic

I received a phone call last year from a :cool: blind school asking if I was free to teach the blind to pick locks ... my reply ! f..ck off
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:55 pm

10ringo10, I want a copy of your instruction for keyway identification made "blindingly" easy!
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:43 pm

Good title for a book ..had to laugh it must have been a prank - I hope !
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:55 pm

Can't think of a good reason the blind could not pick locks. Used to keep some locks beside the bed along with a tension wrench and hook for picking practice if I woke in the middle of the night.

My dad used to work at a school for the deaf and blind here in Arizona, and they were always looking for hobbies for the blind. Doubt they ever thought of lockpicking as a hobby to teach them, though. :D

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

flywheel

Post Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:55 pm

Since we are so far off topic, I agree that the blind might even have an advantage over the sighted when it comes to picking. Imagine their hearing and sense of touch. The difficulty might lie in accurately describing how a pin tumbler works without them seeing it. Someone with a 3D printer or woodworking skills could make a large hands-on plug and pins. Small classes could feel the replica while it was picked open.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:00 pm

a large wooden plug/cylinder with 3/4" (19mm) pins would be easy enough for them to tell what was going on. Then you could paint them black, with yellow and white labels so we would be back on topic of The Dark Side. :mrgreen:

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.

Return to Uber-Noob