FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

IC Padlocks

<<

crashplan

Post Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:46 pm

IC Padlocks

Are there any IC padlocks that operate like the IC deadbolts? As in you need a control key to place and remove the core instead of being able to remove the core by simply removing a screw that becomes accessible when the shackle is open.
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:47 pm

Re: IC Padlocks

There are padlocks for SFIC and all brands of LFIC.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

crashplan

Post Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:51 pm

Yes, but how are the cores held in the padlock and how do you remove them?
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:53 pm

That depends on the type of core specifically but they have a control lug that moves out with the control key to go behind a piece of metal in the lock. That holds it into place.

You insert the control key, turn it and simply pull out the core.

<<

crashplan

Post Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:56 pm

OK, so they operate like any other interchangeable cylinder would? When I am looking at a LFIC padlock on Ebay, is there an easy way to tell whether the cylinder is held in by a screw or by the control lug? There are IC padlocks that hold in the cylinder with a screw in the hole that the shackle goes in, right? Or am I just being stupid?
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:58 pm

LFIC and SFIC locks have the core retained by the lug, and the core is removed with a control key. There are many padlocks that have the core held in with a screw, but they are not LFIC or SFIC.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Riyame

Post Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:01 pm

Well, for LFIC you can tell because of the shape of the core. Each manufacturer is slightly different and they look different from a KIK that is held in with a retainer and screw.

<<

crashplan

Post Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:24 pm

So is something like this either LFIC or SFIC or is it just an interchangeable core?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MASTER-LOCK-642 ... 4d191d12b2
<<

escher7

Post Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:32 pm

crashplan wrote:So is something like this either LFIC or SFIC or is it just an interchangeable core?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MASTER-LOCK-642 ... 4d191d12b2

Don't mean to be rude, but it is expected you use a bit of initiative. The lock you link to is a Master 6421. Try googling it for specs and you will find the first line says it has a choice of 16 small format interchangeable cores. Easy.
<<

crashplan

Post Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:35 pm

OK, fair enough, thank you all for your help.
<<

Riyame

Post Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:44 am

Escher, what if he is not very computer savvy? It might not have occurred to him to google it, or he just googled master lock but not the model number. You know that if you do search for the manufacturer and model number something should pop up and to follow the links to find the info you want. I like to give everybody the benefit of the doubt at the start and ease them into things. I never hurts to help and then make a suggestion such as "If you search for the lock number you get this info <link>. If you search some more you can find out X info" to help them on their way.

The "choice of 16 sfic cores" initially confused even me since the wording was so odd. They meant that they make 16 different keyways in their SFIC line, not that they make 16 different kinds of cores themselves so it could really be confusing to somebody new.

The reason most people take that phrase wrongly is because it is most often used right before a deliberate insult. "I don't mean to be rude BUT" Which is why I generally prefer not to use it.

If you need some more info on SFIC cores this is a great page. http://www.crypto.com/photos/misc/sfic/

<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:16 am

Removed the majority of the petty bickering and locked the thread, as it was not productive and is completely irrelevant to the thread, and the question has been answered.
"Cave ab homine unius libri" - Beware of anyone who has just one book

(2014.02.09 - 23:26:03) huxleypig: i freaking love cream
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:11) huxleypig: hey, come on, cream is nice
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:37) huxleypig: aww, i suddenly feel very sick

(23:37:46) LocksmithArmy: you should see my school girl outfit
(23:37:50) LocksmithArmy: wait... what

(13:19:50) xeo: that chick will never be satisfied by a real dick
(13:19:54) NNFAK: I would man...

(22:59:49) PhoneMan: how do you let a forum die if users keep using it? kill the servers?

May those who love us, love us; and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping

If someone had prince albert in a can, does that mean they'd have a killer codpiece?

(00:52:02) WolfSpring: elbow could sell a sandbox to an egyptian

Return to Uber-Noob