FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

practice Locks

<<

sportdogs

Post Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:23 am

practice Locks

practice Locks

because I just start with lockpicking.
It seemed to me might be useful to buy a few. Practice Locks
There are a mountain practice locks to choose, what you think and what are your experiences of this practice Locks? what are the best buy.
Or is it just better to buy plain cylinder locks or padlocks

I would love to hear your experience in this

Greet
Andy
<<

jupiter11d7

Familiar Face

Post Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:12 am

Re: practice Locks

A practice lock that I have found to be quite useful is the Ultimate Challenge Lock. It can hold up to 6 pins that can easily be changed, for a different lock experience or removed for an easier pick. The pins are held in place by pin stack retainer screws that can be removed with the allen wrench provided. The set includes an assortment of key pins, driver pins, master pins, and springs. It even comes with two sizes of spool pins. I believe this is a good practice lock because you can change the configuration of the pins very quickly, with basic tools. You can start out with 3-4 pins for an easy pick and build from there. If you would like more information on this practice lock it can be found here:
http://learnlockpicking.com/
The cost is $39.50 USD.
They also sell a practice lock called the Ultimate Practice Lock, I personally think the Challenge lock is better though. The practice lock does not come with spool pins and can hold five pins rather than six. It costs 5$ less, but you might as well spend a little extra for the added possibilities.

Another option would be cut away locks or practice locks with a clear housing. These practice locks allow you to see what is happening inside the lock. This helps you get a better mental picture of what is going on inside, and helps you understand the feedback you are getting from your tools. There are many good options for these, so look around a little and you can find some good deals if you are interested.

Hope this helps!
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:45 pm

The practice lock kits that Mr. Wizard puts together is an excellent starter package. A good quality mortise cylinder with plenty of spare pins and springs, including security pins and good documentation. He also put screws in the top of every pin chamber to make it easier to repin the lock.
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=7972
<<

LockManipulator

Post Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:13 pm

For cheap but good practice, I suggest going to a locksmith and asking for old locks they are throwing away. I've gotten free locks like that. You'll want to make sure you don't come off in ANY way that you are doing anything illegal though. Locksmiths can be very suspicious people. I just go in and say I like locks and messing around with them; seeing how they work and stuff. You'll get kwiksets and schlages most likely which are great for practice! You probably won't have keys but that's not much of an issue. Then when you want to try something harder, you can just buy security pins and put them in!

Return to Uber-Noob