FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Starter need wat help !!

<<

sportdogs

Post Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:40 am

Starter need wat help !!

so my first real post on this forum.

I have a Yale lock that frustrates me for a week long now :???: it's a Yale 120/50.
and it drives me crazy I like to challenge myself, but maybe this challenge is too big for my ability. Does anyone here have experience with the Yale 120/50? or know this padlock and would be able to help me.

[imgImage][/img]

Any advice or suggestions would very much appreciated, Thanxs

Greetz Andy
<<

scudo

Post Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:57 am

Re: Starter need wat help !!

I dont have one but I believe it has 2 spool pins which may be causing issues for you.
<<

Neilau

Post Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:29 am

I have a couple of these locks - smaller ones - and they do have spool pins.

Apply light torsion and gently rake the pins with a half diamond. :halfdiamond:

When the cylinder rotates a couple of degrees you have locked up on the spool pins - often only one. All the other pins are set.

Then go in with a hook :longhook: and feel for the spools. They will be the ones that will make the cylinder want to rotate back to the locked position when pushed up.

Lighten the tension and try to lift the spool pins to the shear line. It will take a bit of practice to get the tension right so that you don't drop any of the set pins.

There are some excellent tutorials on this site regarding spools.

You have picked a pretty hard lock to start on but don't give up. Maybe get a cheaper lock or a low end Master. You don't want to get so frustrated that you give up. The first time you pop one you'll be hooked.

You could also try light tension and a Bogota style pick. :wrake:

Oh, and welcome to the site.

Cheers.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

Neilau

Post Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:40 pm

This is a Yale that I have. If you add up all the hours that I have spent trying to SPP it, it would add up to weeks. Like I said they are not the easiest locks to start on, especially if you are trying to SPP them.

Yale 1.jpg

A little while ago I tried my “Magic” half moon and, bugger me, it opened up immediately???

I locked it up again and tried again with the same result.

I made it a couple of years ago and polishing and use have flattened down and smoothed out the peak. The reason I call this pick “magic” is that it seems to open most anything I try it on.

There are a couple of features that may help explain this; the first is that it has become a bit rounded and is not the sharp shape that is usually found on half diamonds. It is highly polished and is very kind to pins and lastly the way I use it.

I use it like a cross between a rake and a single hump Botota. I put it all the way in and using light tension start from the back, raking/jiggling it over a couple of pins at a time, working my way to the front. After a couple of tries I let off the tension and start again. The lock will usually open after a few tries.

majic 1.jpg

Click on picture to get a better look.

I know it is not SPP but it opens the lock and sometimes that’s all that matters.

Hope this has been of some help.

Cheers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

<<

rerun12

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:19 pm

The half moon pick doesn't get enough credit imo! Popped some locks that gave with trouble long ago with the good ole' half moon/homemade diamond i screwed up heh
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand.
<<

sportdogs

Post Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:25 am

really super Thanks for all the comments

Neilau: Thanxs for the tips I've tried it, there is more movement in the lock now. but it will be a while before I get it open, but I'll keep trying SPP is the way I want to do. A half moon I have unfortunately not only Southord C2010 set. But I do have a half diamont that looks like it.? is probably not good enough?.

I bought a pair of Master Locks (which are hard to find here in the Netherlands) I have two a 635 and a 140 that will hold me for a while.

so thanks again for the comments

Greet
Andy
<<

Neilau

Post Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:37 pm

Great,

The Master 140 has a couple of spool pins - not sure about the 635.

I think that you will find them much easier than the Yale.

I'm not surprised that that they are hard to find in the Netherlands - the Dutch appreciate quality - so there would be little demand for Masters. :mrgreen:

I've often thought that Master locks are responsible for the growth in this hobby. They seem to be the locks that people pop first....... then they become addicted. :twisted:

Keep at it. It won't be long before you pop those Masters then you'll be on your way.

Cheers.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

<<

sportdogs

Post Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:04 am

Greetz

Both Master Lock padlocks have spool pin if I'm not mistaken.
I'm only four weeks to lock picking so I'm still a starter, I have a few Stahlex padlocks and some Tri-Circle padlocks and of course the Yale and now two Master Locks. But both Master Locks are very difficult for me by the spool pin. Happiness I get the 635 open but that's really lucky and certainly not science. The Stahlex and the Tri-Circle padlocks are very cheap and now a lot easier to open for me. But I am happy with it, I will again today keeping me busy with Master Locks.

You have placed a picture of a half-moon pick.
Who often work in difficult locks. I've never seen a Half moon pick. Where can I buy a half moon pick, I want one too.
Whether you have to make yourself?.

Thanxs and greeting again
Andy
<<

Neilau

Post Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:48 am

Congratulations on opening the locks. :hbg:

The Triple Circle locks are fairly easy but you still get a good feeling when you get them :D

The pick is not really a half moon pick . It is a half diamond that I made but screwed it up a bit and it came out with a flatter peak. So more like a cross between a half moon and a half diamond. I made it out of a wiper blade insert with a bit of tape covered with shrink tube for a handle. The other end was supposed to be a small half diamond but came out like a little hump. LOL.

If you start making your own picks (a lot of fun) don't throw any of them out as long as they are well polished, you will be surprised at the locks that they open. Some of my best picks are ones that didn't come out "quite right".

Technique is the most important thing and using the correct tension.

All locks have their own little characteristics.

Glad that I have been of some help.

Remember, Practice, practice, practice.

Cheers.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

Return to Uber-Noob