FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Deciding on a cutaway lock / first pick set..

<<

scudo

Post Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:06 pm

Re: Deciding on a cutaway lock / first pick set..

but I don't have any handcuffs. Anyone know?

Although never tried it one way is to slide a piece of metal off a soda can between the ratchets to release the mechanism.
<<

Neilau

Post Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:50 pm

The way the Biro trick is supposed to work is:

Take the ink tube and make two small longitudinal cuts about 1/8 inch apart and about 1/8 inch long, bend the piece between the cuts out 90 deg. This is supposed to make a key. The ink tube fits over the post and the "lug" that you made by bending the cut section out turns the locking Mechanism, assuming it is strong enough.

I've never seen it done. It seems possible but improbable.

The other problem is that you would have to have it prepared before hand and be able to get to it.

I'm sure there will be a video on YouTube, probably alongside the tennis ball opening a car door lock. :D
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

Deadlock

Post Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:51 pm

Know what you mean, but this is in the keyhole. AFAIK all handcuffs have the same key - or pretty much. Like a barrel or pipe key. No real bitting on it. So, and you'd probably need better teeth than I've got, you just bite the clip off the biro top to size, bend it 90 degrees, and use it as a key. Like I say, I dunno, is this an urban myth or what?
<<

Deadlock

Post Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:13 pm

Neilau, you're too fast for me, man! I was still composing my answer to scudo! Thanks anyway, makes more sense, a biro cap seems too big. Like I say, probably just the sort of story you hear in a pub or somewhere.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:42 pm

You can get a set of handcuffs with a Medeco key. So not all handcuffs are able to be opened with a standard key.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:28 pm

Ramon-R87 wrote:....I can imagine the wife not really sharing the enjoyment.. Weirdly enough though my girlfriend seems to find it at least a bit interesting as well and she even watched some videos of lockpicking. So maybe I can get her to try it as well haha! :-)

We use to have a lock picking couple... clearmoon & mittens.
They haven't been around for a bit though. I miss their company.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

Ramon-R87

Post Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:52 am

scudo wrote:
but I don't have any handcuffs. Anyone know?

Although never tried it one way is to slide a piece of metal off a soda can between the ratchets to release the mechanism.

I saw a video from Scam school on opening handcuffs on YouTube yesterday. They did it in a few different manners. The cool thing was that they have a clear pair of handcuffs so you can see the mechanism and how they do it. Video is below, hope the embedding works.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Gr6HX_IKpw[/youtube]
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:26 pm

<<

Ramon-R87

Post Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:41 pm

So my vise, pickset and practice lock have arrived. Here are some pictures.

LOCKPICK1.jpg

LOCKPICK2.jpg

LOCKPICK3.jpg

Now it's time to practice.. If only I had a bit more time though, have to study pretty hard the following weeks, neuropsychology exam coming up..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

LockManipulator

Post Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:47 pm

nice! Good looking picket and lock! I like the look of that vice too. You'll find that having that variety of tension wrenches will help you more than you think!
<<

scudo

Post Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:29 pm

Get the elastic band for the vice :-)
<<

rerun12

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:29 pm

Welcome to the forum Ramon, it's good to have you aboard! That's a sweet cutaway you got there.
+1 to Gordon's 'how little tension can i use to open this lock' practice method. This will help you immensely and I often find myself going back to this exercise every so often. It really pays off once you move on to more difficult locks.

As for handcuffs: you can buy a cheap pair or an expensive pair- both should be easy to open either by shimming the jaw or unlocking them with a paperclip, bobby pin, rai bogota hook (id reccommend using the titanium one unless you know what you're doing and are very light-handed) or even a disposable pen with the right cuts. I've opened mine with all of the tools I mentioned. I bought a pair of cuffs to add to my lock collection not long ago in hopes that one day I might find myself abducted and thrown into a post apocalyptic dungeon and will possess the knowledge to free myself and lead my fellow captives to freedom. I don't really hope that this happens but you get the idea hehe..

In all seriousness though, I've had a lot of fun handcuffing myself in uncomfortable positions/to different objects around my home with nothing but a bobby pin and tiny discreet shim hidden on my person to see how quickly and quietly I can escape the cuffs. Lots of challenging fun to be had there. And of course, crazy sex addict women will help you put them to good use as well :D Amazon has some really cheap ones and they have expensive ones as well. Here are some cheap ones..great for practice and theyre double locking: http://www.amazon.com/MTECH-USA-MT-S450 ... =handcuffs

These will give you a bit more trouble but still quite easy to open with enough practice: http://www.axon.ae/chubb-prison-a-deten ... cuffs-1k52

And then of course the medeco cuffs are a whole different ballgame which I have no experience with...yet :armed:

edit: I have many "beginner" type locks I'd be willing to trade, perhaps even donate a few if you'd be willing to pay the shipping charges. It's always nice to see a new member with the passion for picking you seem to have. And since much of my post was about handcuffs lemme end this post with a quote from Bosnian Bill: "keep it legal, keep it safe" :smile:
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand.
<<

Ramon-R87

Post Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:42 pm

Thank you rerun12!

Haha the handcuffing yourself in weird positions does seem fun, although I see a lot of potential for some embarassing situations.. Ah well should add to the fun of escaping :-)!
Thanks for the very nice offer, for now I don't really have any other locks, so I don't really have anything I can trade.

Also tried to pick the cutaway lock for the first time today. With looking at the cutaway I tried to pick it from 1 pin all the way to 6. I noticed that with 6 pins, after I set the 3rd pin, the 2nd almost automatically sets as well, and the 5th pin seems to be already at the shearline. I also feel like most pins have to move only a really small amount to set them. I made a video of picking the lock, with looking ofcourse, I now have to practise really feeling where I am in the lock, so I'll practise with less pins and without looking.

Here's a little video: https://vimeo.com/89794631

Also tried to rake the lock out of curiousity and it worked pretty well.

Had a lot of fun playing with it, and before I knew it a few hours went by..
<<

scudo

Post Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:27 pm

I set the 3rd pin, the 2nd almost automatically sets as well, and the 5th pin seems to be already at the shearline. I also feel like most pins have to move only a really small amount to set them

That looks similar to the cutaway I got, did the same as you and had a play with it (and looking) and a couple of pins pretty much set just going in to the keyway. I then started with 2 pins (not looking) and up to 4 that was easy then when the 5th went in it caused me headaches, just about there now and will soon put the 6th pin in. I then have some spool pins I can put in, so that should be fun.

Your vice, I posted earlier about the elastic band (someone else posted it in another thread) if its a vacuum base I found mine a pain as it kept slackening so an elastic band to hold the lever that creates the vacuum..to prevent a vacuum I found makes it more useable.

Nice video clip, I am still new to this myself but it looks like you have a good feel for tension, I think I should fit a torque wrench to mine before I snap something :-)
<<

Ramon-R87

Post Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:04 am

Thanks Scudo.

I must say the vise seems to hold on pretty well if I really press it down hard and then try to lift my desk with it, it doesn't come loose. I did notice that it makes much difference if the flaps on the three sides of the vise aren't placed over the metal sides properly, it is much less strong. I'll keep the tip in mind though once it starts slipping too much.

I'm gonna tape the side and then practise like you did now, working my way up from two without looking. I think it's also important to change the pin setups, so I don't just remember which pin goes first, but have to really feel it. I also got 6 spool pins with the lock, will be a while before I'll start adding them in though :-)!
Previous

Return to Uber-Noob