FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Joining rooms

<<

Medecopen

Familiar Face

Post Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:27 pm

Joining rooms

So we are renting out half of our living space and the half with the washer/dryer is on our side so is there a type of lock tht both sides would need a key ? What I'm trying to do is have the door locked by either side but say Sunday we schedule use of the washer/dryer so we unlock our side then if they need to use it they can unlock there side and come in....
If there is such a thing what's this lock called? I was thinking I just need to ad another lock but then I'd have to buy 2 locks and cut another hole in the door...
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:34 pm

Re: Joining rooms

Have it master keyed for two keys. Quick and easy.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Medecopen

Familiar Face

Post Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:57 pm

GWiens2001 wrote:Have it master keyed for two keys. Quick and easy.

Gordon

I guess that would work but I want them to feel secure and confident in there own security...
But I haven't ruled out that idea yet... I want to weight out all options..
So if I give them a key to the lock and master it so I have the final say so and then put a lock on each side of a deadbolt. hmmmm then I can just put a mechanical sliding lock kind of like one of those chains on the top of the door on there side so they can be sure nobody can or has entered through that door... Ya that does sound simple...
Can any deadbolt be master keyed? This is in the noob section btw lol...
If not what's the starting cost on like a kwickset from Walmart? And what's the technical name for it?
Also this is prolly a no brainier for you all but can I just take off the door knob and fit the deadbolt right in there?
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:03 am

One solution would be to just have your key work the lock(s) so you can control when people have access, and for their privacy just install a simple surface mounted throw bolt on their side of the door that leads to the area they're renting so people can't inadvertently enter their space from the laundry room unless they leave the bolt open.
<<

Medecopen

Familiar Face

Post Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:35 am

MBI wrote:One solution would be to just have your key work the lock(s) so you can control when people have access, and for their privacy just install a simple surface mounted throw bolt on their side of the door that leads to the area they're renting so people can't inadvertently enter their space from the laundry room unless they leave the bolt open.

Pure genious! Lol sometimes I way over think... That is the plan then...

So can I just put a deadbolt in place of the door knob? Dum question I know...
Also here's a pic of the door jam... What's a quick fix for this??? I'm sure the lock will still work, it's just an interior door but you know.... Screws look all stepped out and looks more like the trim moulding around the door secure the latch more than anything...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

faygo6

Familiar Face

Post Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:52 am

A dead bolt will fit in the knob hole as long as the latch is the same depth. If you already have a key entry knob on the door you should be able to take it to any local locksmith to have it master keyed, unless it's a "smart key"
<<

faygo6

Familiar Face

Post Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:57 am

Put some wood glue on wooden golf tees, hammer them into the old holes and let dry. Use a hack saw blade to trim off the extra golf tee sticking out. That should sure up the old holes. Put some red marker or lipstick on the strike for the door. Close the door and when you open the door you should have good marks for remounting the strike plate.
<<

Medecopen

Familiar Face

Post Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:15 am

Nice thanks Fay I'm sure those tips will come in handy...
So now I'm thinking a keyed door knob because dua we will need something to pull the door open with lol and ad a dead bolt.. They can have a key to the deadbolt and I'll have a key for the knob...now I just need some extra pins to match the keys to excisting locks.
<<

faygo6

Familiar Face

Post Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:49 am

Thats where I'm confused. If it's two locks on one door how will you or they unlock both to get it open?
<<

faygo6

Familiar Face

Post Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:03 am

Master keying K.I.S.S. method. You don't have use all 5 pin sets since I'm assuming that forced entry in not a worry. If you have a another key that is cut diffrently but shares the same cut depth in two or more locations, take the other pin sets out of the lock. A lot of apartment buildings that allow the tenants to use their room key on the front door are only using 3 of the seven pin sets in the front door lock.

Return to Uber-Noob