FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Master proseries

<<

Medecopen

Familiar Face

Post Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:46 am

Master proseries

Was trying to pick a master lock pro series and having a hard time getting my tools in the small key way...
Can any of you all pick this lock with a standard hook or do I need to order some European type picks?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Medecopen

Familiar Face

Post Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:50 am

Re: Master proseries

Another view... I'm sure this is child's play for most of you but this one won't be easy for me...
I see a serated pin in there also.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:14 am

You might try tensioning from the top of the keyway... leaving you more room for the pick.
Even so, you still might find it difficult depending on the bitting. SouthOrd's standard shorthook
is really quite bulky both in shaft heighth & width. I like to modify mine to something like THIS.
It does take some time I know, but it's worth it. As it is now, that pick definitely has its' limits.

If there's a serrated pin, my guess is it's a weak serration and probably only
in the first chamber (not sure though)... and the rest should be spools. Also
keep in mind when picking - the forceful return spring that lock has (which
you probably already noticed when using the key). Sometimes my trouble
is not picking it, but trying not to lose my tensor when opening it. lol
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

AULockpicker

Familiar Face

Post Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:24 am

I made a very narrow shafted pick with short hook for those small keyways, not necessarily Master, just any lock with tight keyway. I can't use it though if medium, and most definitely heavy tension is required, it only works for light-ish tension.
LDU2U on YT and do unto others before they do unto you
<<

fgarci03

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:27 am

Although I can pick such keyways with a regular hook, I generaly use slimlines. It becomes easier.

Aaaand, what Oldfast said! :mrgreen:
Go ahead, keep plugging away, picking on me! You will end up on bypass or with rigor mortise.
- GWiens2001
<<

rai

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:59 am

commercial pick designs are made big, to resist the heavy pressure of all the beginners, there is no commercial pick set made for small keyways.

You cannot depend on the manufacturers to make picks for the experts here, that is why so many of them make their own picks. and the picks they make look thin beside commercial prybars.
<<

Norseman

Familiar Face

Post Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:25 am

rai wrote:commercial pick designs are made big, to resist the heavy pressure of all the beginners, there is no commercial pick set made for small keyways.

I have great experience with Sparrows picks in small keyways. Last time I checked they only had full picksets on there site, but you can order individual picks by mail.
Peterston also have good picks for tight keyways.

Aaand what the rest said :wink:
<<

Medecopen

Familiar Face

Post Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:53 pm

Nice feed back thank you to all you advanced pickers... I have tried using tension on the top but I can't get in without pushing up on the first couple pins, I do think with a smaller pick I'd have better luck.. I made my first few pics with jig saw blades but making pics really isn't my thing but it might come to that .... Will also look at the other picks they sell and might modify my southord like suggested..
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:07 pm

If you make a tension wrench with a shorter arm, it will fit into the keyway at the top without touching the front pins.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

ckc123

Familiar Face

Post Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:27 pm

Do yoy know what core is in it?

When I bought mine it came without a core, and I had a wide range to choose from ( I used of my existing schlage everest ones... )
<<

Medecopen

Familiar Face

Post Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:11 pm

ckc123 wrote:Do yoy know what core is in it?

When I bought mine it came without a core, and I had a wide range to choose from ( I used of my existing schlage everest ones... )

No I don't I didn't buy it new... I didn't even know it was serviceable like that? Maybe I can switch out the core for one that's easier for me to pick lol (jocking)
<<

Medecopen

Familiar Face

Post Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:06 pm

image.jpg
So I took oldfast recommendation and after reading the link he provided I busted out the dremel...
I still haven't opened the proseries but I was able to spp another master I have that I only racked before so that I'm happy about... The pro/series I can now get the pick in there and push on the pins and have decent control of the pick but still have some room issues.. I shaved down a tension wrench also, makes it a bit easier but I'm thinking maybe I need one of those tension wrenches that grab top and bottom and open in the middle or wrench stamped out and not bent into shape...??? I will say this is a nice lock IMO not easy to pick by a noob and can't get bolt cutters on it... I'm still new to locks but this seems to be a good one...
<<

ckc123

Familiar Face

Post Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:23 pm

If you have the key. Open the lock and look where the nonattached side of the shackle goes in. You will see a head of the hex bolt. Undo that and the face plate will come forward and the core will come out. You can replace it with any universal kik type core.
<<

ckc123

Familiar Face

Post Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:34 pm

2 more tips. You can create some smaller tension wrenches by using the metal support blades in your cars wi dshield washer blades (time of year to change then anyway).

Also for tok (top of keyway). If you find the tension wrench slipping out easy, just put a very small peice of skateboard tape on the top of the tension wrench. It will stay in more.
<<

Medecopen

Familiar Face

Post Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:59 pm

ckc123 wrote:2 more tips. You can create some smaller tension wrenches by using the metal support blades in your cars wi dshield washer blades (time of year to change then anyway).

Also for tok (top of keyway). If you find the tension wrench slipping out easy, just put a very small peice of skateboard tape on the top of the tension wrench. It will stay in more.

Nice I just looked and I see the Allen bolt... I just found out by xeo
That this is a sfic lock and there's a master key to interchange locks without even removing the bolt..
Thinks for the tips... I don't have any Allens here at home but now I wana take it apart.
Next

Return to Uber-Noob