FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

"Spinning lock"????

<<

bozotheclown5224

Post Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:28 pm

Re: "Spinning lock"????

no it isn't an i-core lock. I figured it out! It turns out that the key sticking through the lock is what activates the locking mechanism. I was thinking about this and decided to make a tension wrench that was the same length as the key and had a similar tip. I picked it as normal and when I turned the plug, I could feel the tension wrench activating the tongue. Door opened, Mystery solved :)

~Aaron
<<

aarpazthelockpicker

Familiar Face

Post Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:16 pm

Good job so now what kind of lock is it (manufacture)
<<

bozotheclown5224

Post Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:46 pm

There is no writing on the handle or plug except for the letter "H" next to the keyway. My guess would be falcon. (just about) all of the other locks in the dorms are falcon locks. The plate around the tongue says falcon. I was also able to match it up to a falcon blank (by eye) in my ilco key blank directory so I'm 95% sure it's a falcon lock.

~Aaron
<<

GutterClown

Post Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:00 am

Ok, so from what you're saying the locks are probably something along the lines of a classroom or storeroom function. This means that the internal knob can be locked\unlocked, but the external always requires a key. Right?

In these, rather than using the lever\knob to retract the tongue, the cylinder and cam are used to retract it. while effective, on most cheap sets and really old well-used locks, it will damage the internals over time.

Without knowing any more about it, I'd say the cam on the back of the cylinder has been damaged by either over-turning or just age and usage.

If it were me, I'd drill the shroud and pop the knob off. Otherwise, you may be able to make a tool to come in the hole and bend around to engage the tag that holds the knob on. If you've never removed a key-in-knob, you may not know what I'm talking about.
Previous

Return to Uber-Noob