FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Another noob pleading for help!

<<

DennisK

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:29 pm

Re: Another noob pleading for help!

[code][/code]
xeo wrote:Did you do what I said? What happened?

Yeah man,I've tried all of the suggestions here.Anyone else want to try it? (Actually,I did get it to open with hard tension,but only once,so I'm guessing luck)
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:41 pm

Yeah so then what happened after executing the aforementioned procedure?
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

sbear2000

Familiar Face

Post Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:46 pm

Yeah man,I've tried all of the suggestions here.Anyone else want to try it? (Actually,I did get it to open with hard tension,but only once,so I'm guessing luck)

try to insert pick first and then apply the hard tension then try to find the binding pin
<<

HerrMannelig

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:59 pm

DennisK wrote:[code][/code]
xeo wrote:Did you do what I said? What happened?

Keep it at. This thread inspired me to pick up my unpicked Master Lock, and try again.

I just got it a few seconds ago.

Thanks for the inspiration...

But, to explain how I personally do things:

* I spend very little time picking a lock. If I do not get it in a minute, I reset and try again, or give up completely and save it for another time
* Try picking it without any tension (this doesn't work for opening locks) so your hands know what the pins feel like when they are not setting
* Try SPPing it with a rake
<<

DennisK

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:52 am

Try SPPing it with a rake

hmmmm,now that's one I haven't tried.....I'll give it a shot!
<<

DennisK

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:59 am

xeo wrote:Yeah so then what happened after executing the aforementioned procedure?

Well,it felt like I was in the bottom of the keyway.What I mean is,they all felt like they were binding.
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:58 am

DennisK wrote:
xeo wrote:Yeah so then what happened after executing the aforementioned procedure?

Well,it felt like I was in the bottom of the keyway.What I mean is,they all felt like they were binding.

You're doing something wrong then... can you feel the individual pins as you run the pick over them?
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

DennisK

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:11 am

xeo wrote:
DennisK wrote:

You're doing something wrong then... can you feel the individual pins as you run the pick over them?

No.It just feels like what you would imagine a rusted shut lock would feel like.Feedback is terrible with this lock.I just can't open it without raking it,which would be ok except this thing is pissing me off!!! :akimbo:
I think I'm just going to try and impression a key for it and call it good.....maybe come back to it when I get better at picking.
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:36 am

OK, so its really old and rusted. I get what you mean. Try spraying some lube into it? It helps immensely on locks like this.

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

HerrMannelig

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:25 pm

xeo wrote:OK, so its really old and rusted. I get what you mean. Try spraying some lube into it? It helps immensely on locks like this.

I think he said it "just feels like what you would imagine a rusted shut lock would feel like", not that it "is a rusted lock".

DennisK wrote:No.It just feels like what you would imagine a rusted shut lock would feel like.Feedback is terrible with this lock.I just can't open it without raking it,which would be ok except this thing is pissing me off!!! :akimbo:
I think I'm just going to try and impression a key for it and call it good.....maybe come back to it when I get better at picking.

Feedback of Master Locks of this design is usually not that bad, but the spring on the cylinder is an "extra". The amount of force on the tension is the force which is actually rotating the cylinder, not overcoming the spring. So "light tension" on this would require more force than a lock without a spring. It can take some time to get the tension right and understand the feedback.

Picking a lock without a spring would help. That is what I did when first starting to pick. I had the same SPP issues with a Master Lock (#3) until I learned what to feel for.
<<

fgarci03

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:11 pm

HerrMannelig wrote:Feedback of Master Locks of this design is usually not that bad, but the spring on the cylinder is an "extra". The amount of force on the tension is the force which is actually rotating the cylinder, not overcoming the spring. So "light tension" on this would require more force than a lock without a spring. It can take some time to get the tension right and understand the feedback.

Picking a lock without a spring would help. That is what I did when first starting to pick. I had the same SPP issues with a Master Lock (#3) until I learned what to feel for.

HerrMannelig has raised an interesting issue. I'm not familiar with that model so I don't know if it has a return spring (it's how it's called).
In order for you to test this, just rotate the key and see if there is any spring pressure doing so. If it is absolutely free, then it has no return spring.

If it does have, and to avoid removing it, what you can do is to try to pick it with whatever tension you feel confortable with, and sometimes just apply a little more tension to see if the plug rotates. If not, reduce tension again and keep picking.

If you are able to rake it open, the problem is probably something else, but it's worth to try!

Good luck
Go ahead, keep plugging away, picking on me! You will end up on bypass or with rigor mortise.
- GWiens2001
<<

HerrMannelig

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:23 pm

fgarci03 wrote:
HerrMannelig wrote:Feedback of Master Locks of this design is usually not that bad, but the spring on the cylinder is an "extra". The amount of force on the tension is the force which is actually rotating the cylinder, not overcoming the spring. So "light tension" on this would require more force than a lock without a spring. It can take some time to get the tension right and understand the feedback.

HerrMannelig has raised an interesting issue. I'm not familiar with that model so I don't know if it has a return spring (it's how it's called).
In order for you to test this, just rotate the key and see if there is any spring pressure doing so. If it is absolutely free, then it has no return spring.

If it does have, and to avoid removing it, what you can do is to try to pick it with whatever tension you feel confortable with, and sometimes just apply a little more tension to see if the plug rotates. If not, reduce tension again and keep picking.

If you are able to rake it open, the problem is probably something else, but it's worth to try!

Good luck

The Master Lock #1 (and #3, essentially the same lock for picking) have springs.

I have found that varying tension is good for picking these locks. After you set (or attempt to set) pins, you increase tension slightly for a moment.

This video of mine (mostly a camera test) shows the type of lock. This is a #3, but the #1 is the same (with a slightly different sized body and shackle): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BouMcCorEzc

It shows the sort of tension which is most useful for picking this lock.
<<

DennisK

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:05 am

HerrMannelig wrote:
fgarci03 wrote:

Good luck

The Master Lock #1 (and #3, essentially the same lock for picking) have springs.

I have found that varying tension is good for picking these locks. After you set (or attempt to set) pins, you increase tension slightly for a moment.

This video of mine (mostly a camera test) shows the type of lock. This is a #3, but the #1 is the same (with a slightly different sized body and shackle): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BouMcCorEzc

It shows the sort of tension which is most useful for picking this lock.

SUCCESS!!!!! Thanks everyone.HerrMannelig,I used the suggestion you mentioned in the text in your video about applying a little more tension after each pin set.Using this method AND slowing down to actually feel what I was doing,I've popped it several times.So I guess it wasn't luck.:). Also,it seems the half diamond was more effective for me.
<<

HerrMannelig

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:28 pm

DennisK wrote:SUCCESS!!!!! Thanks everyone.HerrMannelig,I used the suggestion you mentioned in the text in your video about applying a little more tension after each pin set.Using this method AND slowing down to actually feel what I was doing,I've popped it several times.So I guess it wasn't luck.:). Also,it seems the half diamond was more effective for me.

Hey, I do know what I am talking about it seems :) All the naysayers can eat crow now.

Congratulations. Once you get it down, it is something which sticks.
<<

DennisK

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:47 pm

HerrMannelig wrote:
DennisK wrote:SUCCESS!!!!! Thanks everyone.HerrMannelig,I used the suggestion you mentioned in the text in your video about applying a little more tension after each pin set.Using this method AND slowing down to actually feel what I was doing,I've popped it several times.So I guess it wasn't luck.:). Also,it seems the half diamond was more effective for me.

Hey, I do know what I am talking about it seems :) All the naysayers can eat crow now.

Congratulations. Once you get it down, it is something which sticks.

Yep, after the first time, it was like "Why did I have so much trouble? This is easy!" lol
PreviousNext

Return to Uber-Noob