FAQ  •  My feedback  •  Feedback
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Picking padlock

<<

DennisK

Contributor
Contributor

Posts: 128

Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:32 pm

Location: S. Illinois

Post Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:05 pm

Picking padlock

I have a Wilson Bohannan padlock that is fairly simple to open by raking.However,it is very difficult for me to pick it with a hook or other lifting type picks.
First,what do y'all think I'm doing wrong,and second,could this lock have security pins that I am not experienced with?
TIA
<<

rerun12

User avatar

Contributor
Contributor

Posts: 435

Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:32 pm

Location: Connecticut

Post Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:16 pm

Re: Picking padlock

quoted from member Gordon from another site on picking Wilsons:

"I have been picking on them for a while. It would easily go into a false set, but no further. Finally today, I said the heck with it and once it went into false set, I just decided to quadrupled the tension on the wrench. But I never got that much tension. The the plug turned. It felt as if the plug was tight in the lock. Testing the other two, they responded the same way. Very easy to set the pins, difficult to turn the plug."

Hope that helps. I know Gordons posts have aways helped me, very cool and knowledgable fellow :salute:
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand.
<<

DennisK

Contributor
Contributor

Posts: 128

Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:32 pm

Location: S. Illinois

Post Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:26 pm

Re: Picking padlock

rerun12 wrote:quoted from member Gordon from another site on picking Wilsons:

"I have been picking on them for a while. It would easily go into a false set, but no further. Finally today, I said the heck with it and once it went into false set, I just decided to quadrupled the tension on the wrench. But I never got that much tension. The the plug turned. It felt as if the plug was tight in the lock. Testing the other two, they responded the same way. Very easy to set the pins, difficult to turn the plug."

Hope that helps. I know Gordons posts have aways helped me, very cool and knowledgable fellow :salute:

Thanks rerun. I'm SLOWLY getting the hang of all this.Every article I read says go with light tension,but you're right; these WB locks require more tension to turn the plug.Even when I rake,I have to apply more tension to this particular lock.
And yeah,Gordon has already helped me out some,and I've only been on here about a month; maybe less. Seems like a good fellow.
<<

Oldfast

User avatar

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Posts: 4199

Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:16 pm

Location: Michigan

Post Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:30 pm

Re: Picking padlock

No security pins... that I've ever seen or felt anyway.

HERE's some gutshots and HERE's a vid along with a brief description of my how I approach WB's

Might be somethin' in there that helps. I like WB's
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

rerun12

User avatar

Contributor
Contributor

Posts: 435

Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:32 pm

Location: Connecticut

Post Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:01 pm

Re: Picking padlock

one more tidbit of info ive found to work well when having trouble with a new lock is to go with HEAVY tension. many will tell you to use light tension when picking, and of course its all about finding the right balance, but whenever i get stuck on a lock i go with really heavy tension and find success. i probably have xeo to thank for that hehe. heres a great link that'll help you out: http://www.keypicking.com/viewtopic.php%20...%20of+tension
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand.
<<

DennisK

Contributor
Contributor

Posts: 128

Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:32 pm

Location: S. Illinois

Post Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:00 pm

Re: Picking padlock

Oldfast wrote:No security pins... that I've ever seen or felt anyway.

HERE's some gutshots and HERE's a vid along with a brief description of my how I approach WB's

Might be somethin' in there that helps. I like WB's

Great stuff there,Oldfast; thanks. I notice you pick with the tension tool at the top of the keyway.How does it not get in the way of the first pins?
<<

DennisK

Contributor
Contributor

Posts: 128

Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:32 pm

Location: S. Illinois

Post Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:02 pm

Re: Picking padlock

rerun12 wrote:one more tidbit of info ive found to work well when having trouble with a new lock is to go with HEAVY tension. many will tell you to use light tension when picking, and of course its all about finding the right balance, but whenever i get stuck on a lock i go with really heavy tension and find success. i probably have xeo to thank for that hehe. heres a great link that'll help you out: http://www.keypicking.com/viewtopic.php%20...%20of+tension

I have been using heavier tension when I rake the WB,but it is still more difficult for me to use the lift method. BTW,I couldn't make your link work. :(
<<

Oldfast

User avatar

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Posts: 4199

Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:16 pm

Location: Michigan

Post Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:21 am

Re: Picking padlock

DennisK wrote:Great stuff there,Oldfast; thanks. I notice you pick with the tension tool at the top of the keyway.How does it not get in the way of the first pins?

You just don't want the tensor to be touching the firts pin. If you purchase a TOK tensor,
you'll see they're made much shorter. If you're making your own, make it long enough to
get a bite on the keyway, but not so long as to touch the first pin and cause binding.

Some locks and/or keyways respond better by tensioning from the bottom though.
So I'd suggest getting familiar with both. Personally, I find myself at a bit of a
disadvantage when I need BOK tension... just cause I don't use it very much.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

DennisK

Contributor
Contributor

Posts: 128

Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:32 pm

Location: S. Illinois

Post Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:37 am

Re: Picking padlock

Oldfast wrote:
DennisK wrote:Great stuff there,Oldfast; thanks. I notice you pick with the tension tool at the top of the keyway.How does it not get in the way of the first pins?

You just don't want the tensor to be touching the firts pin. If you purchase a TOK tensor,
you'll see they're made much shorter. If you're making your own, make it long enough to
get a bite on the keyway, but not so long as to touch the first pin and cause binding.

Some locks and/or keyways respond better by tensioning from the bottom though.
So I'd suggest getting familiar with both. Personally, I find myself at a bit of a
disadvantage when I need BOK tension... just cause I don't use it very much.


So is there a specific reason why you torq from the top,or is it just the fact that that is the way you have always done it?
<<

GWiens2001

User avatar

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Posts: 3565

Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:05 am

Location: Arizona, United States

Post Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:42 am

Re: Picking padlock

The plug turns more evenly, giving you more feedback. Also, you do not have the tension wrench rubbing or locking against the shell of the lock, pinning the plug against the keyway.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

DennisK

Contributor
Contributor

Posts: 128

Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:32 pm

Location: S. Illinois

Post Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:12 am

Re: Picking padlock

Thanks guys.I just ordered a couple Peterson pry bars. :)
<<

DennisK

Contributor
Contributor

Posts: 128

Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:32 pm

Location: S. Illinois

Post Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:18 pm

Re: Picking padlock

Got the Pry Bars.....love 'em. :smile:
Now another noob question; well actually a cry for advice. I have an Abus 34/55. This rascal is about to make me pull my hair out.The tiny plug (for such a large lock) and the narrow warded keyway is not letting me get to the pins very well.And then there are the security pins. :twisted:
Can anyone offer any advice on how to attack this patience-eating monster? Picks,technique?
Oh yeah,with the Pry Bar,the tensioner is not blocking my pick,if that helps.
TIA
<<

rerun12

User avatar

Contributor
Contributor

Posts: 435

Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:32 pm

Location: Connecticut

Post Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:59 pm

Re: Picking padlock

this vid might help you out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaWqdd8imTM
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand.
<<

DennisK

Contributor
Contributor

Posts: 128

Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:32 pm

Location: S. Illinois

Post Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:22 am

Re: Picking padlock

rerun12 wrote:this vid might help you out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaWqdd8imTM

Thanks.I had already watched that vid,but didn't have any luck.Oh well,back to it!

Return to Uber-Noob

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot]

Don't forget to visit our sponsors for all of your lockpicking needs!
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Grop
"CA Black" theme designed by stsoftware