FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Have I Been Had?

<<

IowaPicker

Post Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:50 pm

Have I Been Had?

I just bought a lock off ebay as a practice lock. It is an ABUS 34/55. Paid $10. It arrived today. In original (it appeared) unopened box. I open the box, looked at the front, took off the key, opened it. It seemed fine. So far, So good.

Then I turned it over for the first time. The marking on the back said "Property of N.Y.C.H.A." WT*??... I assume this refers to New York City Housing Authority. Is this lock likely stolen? Or is it some kind of surplus - i.e. perhaps originally made for nycha but not sold so offered at a discount? If this lock is stolen, what is the right thing to do? Am I concerned for nothing?
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: Have I Been Had?

Please fully read the descriptions in the sale. It can contain important information. Also fully inspect all pictures so you know what you are getting. Carefully check the shipping to make sure that steal of a deal doesnt have a $100 shipping fee on it. You may find things that will put you off of the sale. If you "Buy it now" or win a bid you are LEGALLY obligated to pay for it.

I know of the seller of the locks you bought. This is stated in the auction.

"Back of lock has special coining "PROPERTY OF NYCHA" These locks were purchased for a city bid in New York. They ended up not purchasing them all so our mistake is your gain!!"
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

IowaPicker

Post Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:35 pm

Riyame,

Thank you. Guilty as charged. I scanned that information too fast - and I totally missed that part. I checked the shipping costs - it's usually one of the first places I look after an ad catches my attention. I checked the seller's rating - not a huge number of transactions but not bad - rating was fine. But then once I got the lock and saw the "property of...", it spooked me bad enough that I forgot to go back and re-read the ad. I'm usually fairly careful -- I don't want anything that's not 100% legitimate -- but in this case I clearly got in too big of a hurry.

So I can breath now and keep the lock too. Thanks again for taking time to help me out here.
<<

MrWizard

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:10 am

That is a really good price on that lock although shipping could be cheaper.
Would fit nice in a small flat rate box for 5.80.

Still a good deal.
That dipped down area under the shackle allows it to be used in a 1" and 2" application.
I knew you would find that exciting news. :pimpmofo:

Richard
"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
Kurt Vonnegut

Return to Uber-Noob