FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Noob question

<<

philrab66

Post Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:35 am

Noob question

Hi all
I am from UK did not seem to find much for uker,s so joined here. I did find one but it has u.s sources for tools. Anyway are there any fellow uker,s and can point me in the direction of a good starter kit. I have worked out from other post that you only need a few items so will not be buying a big kit. Also if any newbies would like to share there experiences on there first purchases that would be great.
Thanks Phil.
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:48 am

Re: Noob question

Have you taken a look at our sponsor?

http://www.uklockpickers.co.uk/
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

philrab66

Post Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:48 pm

xeo wrote:Have you taken a look at our sponsor?

http://www.uklockpickers.co.uk/

No had not seen that one. Any recommendations for a starter kit or just by seperate.
Thanks Phil.
<<

Whittler

Post Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:11 pm

I'm new to lock picking as well however I've done a lot of reading and it seems the big lock picking cases often give way more than you need. In time we will no doubt need a greater number of tools but for now this set http://uklockpickers.co.uk/picks/hand-p ... k-set.html
seems perfectly reasonable for everything we could need. Slim line picks may be needed for some of the more restrictive keyways we have in Europe, remember everything is bigger in America and that seems to include keyways lol so maybe this set http://uklockpickers.co.uk/picks/hand-p ... ckset.html.

No doubt someone can correct me as I am a noob.
<<

philrab66

Post Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:15 pm

Whittler wrote:I'm new to lock picking as well however I've done a lot of reading and it seems the big lock picking cases often give way more than you need. In time we will no doubt need a greater number of tools but for now this set http://uklockpickers.co.uk/picks/hand-p ... k-set.html
seems perfectly reasonable for everything we could need. Slim line picks may be needed for some of the more restrictive keyways we have in Europe, remember everything is bigger in America and that seems to include keyways lol so maybe this set http://uklockpickers.co.uk/picks/hand-p ... ckset.html.

No doubt someone can correct me as I am a noob.

I was looking at the tuxedo kit looks ok not to expensive.
<<

Whittler

Post Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:55 pm

I am going for that set as well, although I am making my own using a bench grinder because I'm pretty good with my hands. From everything I have read one of the biggest mistakes for us noobs is to spend stupid amounts on kits we don't need. We don't need all those balls picks, various rakes, different half damionds and all that stuff. In fact it seems lots of experienced pickers don't use half of the stuff provided in these kits! Stick with the basics for now, that's what I'm doing and we should get through a lot of common locks.

I can't wait for my locks to arrive, been finishing off some picks today, kind of wish I had taken pictures but hey that's another thing to learn and sort out :)
<<

philrab66

Post Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:16 pm

Whittler wrote:I am going for that set as well, although I am making my own using a bench grinder because I'm pretty good with my hands. From everything I have read one of the biggest mistakes for us noobs is to spend stupid amounts on kits we don't need. We don't need all those balls picks, various rakes, different half damionds and all that stuff. In fact it seems lots of experienced pickers don't use half of the stuff provided in these kits! Stick with the basics for now, that's what I'm doing and we should get through a lot of common locks.

I can't wait for my locks to arrive, been finishing off some picks today, kind of wish I had taken pictures but hey that's another thing to learn and sort out :)

Is this set ok for euro locks keep reading you need a slimline kit?
<<

Whittler

Post Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:30 pm

It seems like a slimline kit. Euro locks appear to be more restrictive generally speaking. I think it's important we develop our ability to make our own picks though, simply to save money. A bunch of hacksaw blades and some time is far cheaper than buyng new picks everytime we need them.

Still yes these seem suitable for our needs. I downloaded templates for slimline picks and they seem very similar to the ones I recommended from the store. But hey again I'm a big noob so hopefully someone with more knowledge can give you a better answer. Hold off buying until they reply because I would feel awful recommending something when I'm basically ignorant.
<<

AULockpicker

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:56 pm

Steak or butter knives make good picks, plentiful, cheap, and tough. Usually found in any Thrift of Opportunity shop, that's all I ever use now after buying several pick sets when first starting this hobby. Just dip constantly in cold water as you are grinding them to shape so as to minimise heat buildup in the steel. They also come in many thicknesses, from very thin and flexible to larger thickness, to suit various keyways.
LDU2U on YT and do unto others before they do unto you
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:53 am

Stay away from "pick sets". Grab a short hook :shorthook: a diamond :halfdiamond: and a medium hook aka "gem" :longhook: and a very large assortment of tensioners. That'll be all the tools you'll need for learning SPP. Grab a bunch of short hooks as you'll probably break them. If you're working on euro locks, they tend to generally have the more annoying keyways so you'll want "slender" picks for the job.
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

Norseman

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:24 am

xeo wrote:Stay away from "pick sets". Grab a short hook :shorthook: a diamond :halfdiamond: and a medium hook aka "gem" :longhook: and a very large assortment of tensioners. That'll be all the tools you'll need for learning SPP. Grab a bunch of short hooks as you'll probably break them. If you're working on euro locks, they tend to generally have the more annoying keyways so you'll want "slender" picks for the job.

I totally agree.
<<

philrab66

Post Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:58 pm

Norseman wrote:
xeo wrote:Stay away from "pick sets". Grab a short hook :shorthook: a diamond :halfdiamond: and a medium hook aka "gem" :longhook: and a very large assortment of tensioners. That'll be all the tools you'll need for learning SPP. Grab a bunch of short hooks as you'll probably break them. If you're working on euro locks, they tend to generally have the more annoying keyways so you'll want "slender" picks for the job.

I totally agree.

Can anybody tell me where I can buy single picks in UK or EU found some last night can not find them now.
Thanks Phil.
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:34 pm

I realize I just told you to avoid pick sets. However, there is one exception to that rule, and it can be found here:

http://uklockpickers.co.uk/picks/sparrows-hook-set.html

That is a "set" of strictly hooks and tensioners. Sparrows is good stuff from what I've heard from respected pickers. I can't comment on it myself as I've never used their tools. That set is something I would recommend buying as a beginner. It has enough tension tools where you could clip a few down for TOK tension. Aside from that, Peterson International will ship overseas and you will pay a hefty shipping fee. Peterson sells individual picks. Aside from that I don't know any other suppliers that are in the UK.

I would also get my hands on either the Technical Entry Pry Bars or the Peterson Pry Bars. Both are excellent tools and are mandatory in my opinion. Read my review of both here: viewtopic.php?f=59&t=7912

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

rai

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:28 am

Off topic but I was looking at xeos videos of picking 3 medecos and that last one took a while and went conterclockwise, so I was thinking about how to do a plug spinner on it,
I dont own a plug spinner nor have I ever used one,
zeke79 has filled a sergeant keso dimple lock with dental floss to keep pins up while passing trap holes and such,

anyway I got this idea, you could introduce some water into the lock, not much, then spray something like liquid nitrogen in there and freeze it,
you might have to put a hot wire in at the bottom of the keyway to loosen any freeze that got down there, and spin it while the pins are locked in ice.

see, it wasn't good enough for its own thread, so I just digressed and put it here,
maybe some wet floss packed in the upper keyway, then the freeze spray, and hot wire......
<<

MonkeyKnight

Post Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:35 pm

I know that you are asking specifically where to buy tools, but:

Even if you are going to start with SPP, I would get a snake. It's just for a confidence builder. I started our daughter out on Masterlocks using the snake.

I don't pick nearly as much as I would like, so if I have set it down for a long while (happens frequently) I start SPP'ing and if I am stumped I grab the ol' snake. Pop* It's open, there; Now I "Feel good" and cleared my head. Then pick up the hook and in a little bit, pop* again. See, it's just to build confidence. Or: What I will do is giv'er a once with the snake, then SPP the last one or sometimes two pins. Kind of a hybrid confidence builder.

After you are picking a particular lock quite well, maybe buy a couple long hooks; The ones that are sold to grind down yourself. Then you have a nice custom hook with little effort.

Some of the first picks I picked up were Southord. Most without the nice thick handle, I just wrapped them in electrical tape. I found them to be a great balance between value and quality. I will most certainly be buying more when needed.

Maybe some piano wire to make your own tensioners as well. One of my favorite tensioners is actually a ground away old allen wrench. There is zero flex to it, and I have it fit perfectly for Masterlock #3's.

I am sure I am telling you stuff you already know, since I learnt it all here: And, well.. You are already here.

Welcome to the great hobby! Tons of knowledge here. Please post some pictures of your first picks too!

Return to Uber-Noob