FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Finally!

<<

stevesm

Post Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:52 am

Finally!

I managed to pick my second lock. A Yale standard security 5-pin rim cylinder. It took a good 45mins of poking and probing and a VERY light touch on my customised tensioner. I've begun to pick up the tiny feedback from the pins as they set now. I used :shorthook: and :halfdiamond: to pick it.

The keyway is much tighter than the first Bird lock I picked and it takes more precise movement to get in and out.

I'm going to try again and see if I can do it faster.

Steve
<<

fgarci03

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:53 am

Re: Finally!

Nice, Steve!

Is that Yale common in the US homes?
Go ahead, keep plugging away, picking on me! You will end up on bypass or with rigor mortise.
- GWiens2001
<<

stevesm

Post Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:02 am

I'm not sure Filipe, I'm in the UK :D
<<

fgarci03

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:04 am

Damn it! I forgot haha :mrgreen:

But is it usual to see? Or you got that lock from a trade or bought it?
Go ahead, keep plugging away, picking on me! You will end up on bypass or with rigor mortise.
- GWiens2001
<<

stevesm

Post Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:06 am

:-) I got it on eBay for a couple of pounds. I have two, the other one is older. Yale locks of this kind are very common along with their copies.
<<

fgarci03

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:09 am

Does it have security pins?
How is the pin configuration (key bitting)?

****Planning to get one in the future****
- GWiens2001
<<

stevesm

Post Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:18 am

No security pins.

That's the key. I don't think it's anything special. Just a standard 5-pin rim cylinder.
<<

fgarci03

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:36 am

Cool!

For en extra challenge, if you can disassemble the cylinder, switch the first and and last pin. That will give you a crazy bitting with a good challenge!
- GWiens2001
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:39 am

Great work. I'd do what fgarci said. Swap the first and last pinstacks.
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

stevesm

Post Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:41 am

I've still yet to crack it for the second time! I will though, when I've done it a few more times. And once I get a plug-follower :-)
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:57 am

You can use other objects as plug followers, such as a hot glue gun stick, a battery, a magic marker, etc. You could also make one out of piping from home depot or hit up a craft store and buy some wooden rod.
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

stevesm

Post Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:59 am

Hadn't thought about my local craft shop Xeo. Nice one. I'd like to make a dedicated 'tool' for the job. I enjoy building/making stuff.
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:04 am

Just make sure you cut a slot into one end of it so you can correctly follow the plugs that have the protruding "endpiece" that the cam fits around. Not all plugs have this.

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

rai

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:02 am

Don't ever buy any lock you intend to use for security with a bitting like that.
notice that the cuts generally slope toward the tip of the key, and the third position is the only one that is slightly deeper than the one on the tip side of it.

such keys can wear along the peaks that are between the bittings or if copied to a second or third generation (copy of a copy) these peaks can simply start to dissapear,

what then happens is you get a key that can be pulled out of the lock without the plug being in the top dead center locking position,

I once had such a key on the door of a rented apartment in a building of apartments, (masterkeyed) and one day I came home and found my lock picked, the core was turned, but it was turned toward the locking position. Not a mistake a lockpicker would make, if he picked it to relock, he would then have relocked it.

I figured out that as I locked the door with the key, I was turning away from the door and starting to walk away, and accidentally pulled the key out leaving the plug turned toward the unlock position.

file off that peak between the third bitting and the one nearer the tip of the key and see if you can pull it out in an unlocked core position, (this loses only that one peak and is done to see if the third pin will ride over the other bitting and let the key pull out, {it looks like a new lock and key so likely you have two keys, the experiment would only alter one of them in an insignificant way}
if not, that is all the other peaks and possibly the difference of the third bitting being slightly lower that prevents it.
besides the weakening of the lock that can be caused by masterkeying, there is also the yale habit of champhering the pins at the shearline and the rounding of the pins where the key rides on them that can cause this defect.

your lock might not have it,

a piece of half inch wooden dowel will make a nice plug follower for it, make it about 3 inches long, no less, a follower is longer than the plug usually, and wood can be shaped on one end if necessary,

An emergency plug follower that I have seen on the forums is a piece of stiff plastic sheet that is simply rolled up to fit the cylinder. work over a towel, not on a hard flat smooth surface as all the little parts will bounce and roll away, A piece of corregated cardboard such as found in packing for a new lightbulb will make a nice tool to sort pins into collumns with their springs.
<<

stevesm

Post Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:20 am

Hey Rai, many thanks for all the advice. You are correct, I have got two keys with that lock so I will do an experiment with one. I do wish to learn about the mechanics of keys and locks as well as how to pick.

I like the towel comment. Luckily, I have lots of cardboard to hand but I'll bear it in mind if I'm ever 'in the field' so's to speak.
Next

Return to Uber-Noob