FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Tension Wrenches?

<<

Jc2intelligent

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:04 pm

Tension Wrenches?

I noticed how wiz has all those different wrenches that he tought of. the double-flex,multi-flex,and AM TOK wrench. but i'm wondering...how do they preform? what are the benefits to these wrenches. i'm gunna make a big wrench set soon, and i'm DEFINATELY gunna add them, but i'm just wondering how they work.
no matter how good you are there is still room for improvement. if you keep working you will be the best there ever will be. Banned For Persistently Annoying Others After Continually Being Warned. --- Learn From His MistakeImage
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:41 pm

Re: Tension Wrenches?

Jc2intelligent wrote:I noticed how wiz has all those different wrenches that he tought of. the double-flex,multi-flex,and AM TOK wrench. but i'm wondering...how do they preform? what are the benefits to these wrenches. i'm gunna make a big wrench set soon, and i'm DEFINATELY gunna add them, but i'm just wondering how they work.

Just as there are a vast variety of locks - tension wrenches cut or bent for a specific type of keyway will become a necessary part of your picking arsenal.

For example, American locks like the 1105 and Brinks Shielded are best tensioned from the TOK. However, the distance from the top of the dustguard to the 1st pin varies from different lock models and manufacturers.

For me, when I tension TOK, I like for the flat side of the wrench to lay on the dustguard - and the nib of the tension wrench to drop down into the keyway and barely touch the first pin. That way you can put tension on the TOK only - and not bind the 1st pin.

It's that depth from the top lip of dustguard to the 1st pin that will vary from, say a Schlage ...to a Master...to an American. Hence the need for various tools and wrenches.

Think of it this way: a mechanic uses different size wrenches for different sized nuts and bolt. Sure he could use an adjustable monkey wrench...but his working time will be more efficiently spent if he uses the correct wrenches to begin with.

Efficiency is the name of the game.
<<

Jc2intelligent

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:44 pm

HallisChalmers wrote:
Jc2intelligent wrote:I noticed how wiz has all those different wrenches that he tought of. the double-flex,multi-flex,and AM TOK wrench. but i'm wondering...how do they preform? what are the benefits to these wrenches. i'm gunna make a big wrench set soon, and i'm DEFINATELY gunna add them, but i'm just wondering how they work.

Just as there are a vast variety of locks - tension wrenches cut or bent for a specific type of keyway will become a necessary part of your picking arsenal.

For example, American locks like the 1105 and Brinks Shielded are best tensioned from the TOK. However, the distance from the top of the dustguard to the 1st pin varies from different lock models and manufacturers.

For me, when I tension TOK, I like for the flat side of the wrench to lay on the dustguard - and the nib of the tension wrench to drop down into the keyway and barely touch the first pin. That way you can put tension on the TOK only - and not bind the 1st pin.

It's that depth from the top lip of dustguard to the 1st pin that will vary from, say a Schlage ...to a Master...to an American. Hence the need for various tools and wrenches.

Think of it this way: a mechanic uses different size wrenches for different sized nuts and bolt. Sure he could use an adjustable monkey wrench...but his working time will be more efficiently spent if he uses the correct wrenches to begin with.

Efficiency is the name of the game.

well that came obviously, what i was talking about was the other wrenches aside from TOK.
no matter how good you are there is still room for improvement. if you keep working you will be the best there ever will be. Banned For Persistently Annoying Others After Continually Being Warned. --- Learn From His MistakeImage
<<

ToolyMcgee

Post Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:48 pm

Standard is totally rigid, twist has some give to it, double twist has even more give, but personally I go for twist with the loop most often for even more sensitivity, and haven't yet made a double loop. It would be even more soft touch.

Top of the keyway tensioners you get the benefit of more evenly distributed tension on the plug and also more room to work in the keyway. The downside is they can be easy to knock out if you are raking which is why I like I like the flat pry bar lite ripp off I made because it has the teeth for grip, even though I still use the regular rigid short tipped tensioner for spp'ing.

Does that help?
<<

ToolyMcgee

Post Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:52 pm

Wow, that was fast. You gotta cut a lp101 dude a break. I'm used to having 3 days to answer a post. :lol:

One standard wrench I forgot to mention is the tapered tip wrench. It is as the name implies tapered to allow for a use in a greater number of keyways. Sometimes it is stepped, but I prefer tapered.
<<

Jc2intelligent

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:54 pm

ToolyMcgee wrote:Standard is totally rigid, twist has some give to it, double twist has even more give, but personally I go for twist with the loop most often for even more sensitivity, and haven't yet made a double loop. It would be even more soft touch.

Top of the keyway tensioners you get the benefit of more evenly distributed tension on the plug and also more room to work in the keyway. The downside is they can be easy to knock out if you are raking which is why I like I like the flat pry bar lite ripp off I made because it has the teeth for grip, even though I still use the regular rigid short tipped tensioner for spp'ing.

Does that help?

yes.very much. thank you
<<

Jc2intelligent

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:56 pm

ToolyMcgee wrote:Wow, that was fast. You gotta cut a lp101 dude a break. I'm used to having 3 days to answer a post. :lol:

One standard wrench I forgot to mention is the tapered tip wrench. It is as the name implies tapered to allow for a use in a greater number of keyways. Sometimes it is stepped, but I prefer tapered.

:lol:

i see. well, i don't use that type of wrench that often. i just use tin snips on it so that the width is easily taken care of.
<<

ToolyMcgee

Post Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:00 pm

It would maybe make a little extra room in your tool case to carry one instead of the tin snips.
<<

Jc2intelligent

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:07 pm

ToolyMcgee wrote:It would maybe make a little extra room in your tool case to carry one instead of the tin snips.

:lol: no, the snips are at the shop, not the case. and i have a few double ended wrenches that i carry instead of 100 different sized wrenches.

Return to Uber-Noob