FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

A question for any Aussies out there

<<

Mur670

Familiar Face

Post Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:51 am

A question for any Aussies out there

Hi there.

My question is this... Is it possible to go into my local locksmith and ask for any old padlocks/locks etc that they can just give away? Or is this not a common practice in the Australian industry?

The reason i ask this question is because i am immersing myself in lock picking as a hobby and potentially a career as a locksmith. I am hopefully commencing some study soon through an educational institue to further my knowledge and it would be good to expand on my current collection with a bit of variety.

Thanks

Oisin
<<

s1deshowmick

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:02 am

Re: A question for any Aussies out there

This is a tricky question.
They might sell it to you, they may give it to you, who knows unless you ask?
Generally my experience's approaching locksmiths when your not in the industry,is that your treated like a diseased rat.
They're not very open to the idea of locksport/hobby picking. Don't let it get the better of you, keep trying you might find one.
It may be that I'm in a very highly regulated State (WA), but i did manage to find someone that i can go to for advice.
Gain their trust and you should do ok.

Good luck...
If you can't be good, Be good at it.

http://au.youtube.com/S1DESHOWMICK
<<

Mur670

Familiar Face

Post Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:16 am

Thanks for your reply s1deshowmick. I have a possible opportunity coming up where i can 'build a relationship' as you say, so hopefully things work out.

More replies to this question are welcome :)

Thanks
<<

psykro

Familiar Face

Post Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:32 am

well, oisin i live in buttfuck nowhere so i haven't tried many locksmiths, but i did try one a few hundred kays away recently. not a good result haha.
i will try more in the future but there aren't many round my location. i go green with envy when i read the yanks' stories on here about wandering into locksmiths and coming out with loads of locks!
by the way mate, just wondrin'- how do you go with the old [pre-assa] 5 and 6 pin lockwood padlocks, if you've tried em? i am completely owned by them, it is giving me the shits. i bought a 6pin new one it was relatively a piece of piss, it is just the old ones...
good luck with your trade path oisin.
<<

Mur670

Familiar Face

Post Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:31 am

Cheers again for the feedback :)

Return to Uber-Noob