FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

First security pins

<<

Libertyclicks

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:48 pm

First security pins

I opened this schlage deadbolt for the first time the other day, today I opened it seven times with little problem.

The eighth time I COULD NOT do it.
Same tool, same direction.

So I am hoping for some help from the pro's.
I believe it has 2 spool pins. One in the middle and one in the back. (No. 3 & 5)
The back one is rarely a problem it seems, the one in the middle seems to false set when I go in ham fisted and just shuffle all the pins around.
How I "thought" I was getting it open before was to do just that, move all the pins up front to back , get the false set in the middle, then put a half diamond under the third pin and push up on it hard slowly releasing tension till it popped up and the lock opened.
I guess I wasn't properly assessing it when I opened it the first few times. I'll jump at it again tomorrow.

Cheers gents have a good night.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

piotr

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:16 am

Re: First security pins

Remember, you can open that KIK (Key-In-Knob) cylinder by removing the tailpiece and using a plug follower (any cylindrical object with the same diameter as the plug will suffice) -- assuming you have the key. If you don't have a key for it you should be able to shim it from the back after your unscrew the tailpiece.
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:38 pm

Libertyclicks wrote:How I "thought" I was getting it open before was to do just that, move all the pins up front to back , get the false set in the middle, then put a half diamond under the third pin and push up on it hard slowly releasing tension till it popped up and the lock opened.
I guess I wasn't properly assessing it when I opened it the first few times.

Yeah. You want to stay away from randomly messing up the pins to try and get a false set. If you start off learning properly you will have a much easier time in the future. Instead of relying on luck try setting each pin one by one. Are you able to detect binding pins?
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

boggif

Post Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:44 pm

When you get it into a false set, you try out which of the spools is binding more and which feels mushy. Then you lower the tension and lift the one binding, then the other spool. Then you'll check normally if any of the pins has dropped and relift them in binding order. (Which may lead to finding out the other spool has dropped in which case you'll relift it like before and recheck all the pins again if it was not the last pin).

If you're ready to take the lock a part, repinning it to a lower pin number might help in getting the feel (especially because you'll know where to expect the security pin).
<<

Libertyclicks

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:24 pm

Thanks for your input guys.
I unscrewed the tail piece but don't have the key.
The next time I get it unlocked I'll slide the plug out and have a look at what is in this thing.

So far I think the binding is 5 - 2 - 3 - ??? - ???.
This where I get caught up confused as to why I can't find a binding pin anymore (cause I overset something? ) or I can't get past a pin that won't budge (this is why I believe there are spools that I am not setting right.).

Anyway, I think I'm not qualified to open this yet. Back to basics for this picker.
<<

Aedalas

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:47 pm

Libertyclicks wrote:So far I think the binding is 5 - 2 - 3 - ??? - ???.
This where I get caught up confused as to why I can't find a binding pin anymore (cause I overset something? ) or I can't get past a pin that won't budge (this is why I believe there are spools that I am not setting right.).
I'd try upping your tension by a lot after you get those three set. Not quite Xeo levels of tension, but more than necessary. Don't try forcing a pin while doing that, just use it to positively identify a binding pin. You know 5, 2, and 3 are set right? So while using a lot of tension you should be able to recheck those and get the non-springy keypin movement. If not then they could be overset or not set at all. My guess would be that either one or both of the spools should be locked up when you do though, if so release tension why lifting until you feel some counter-rotation. Try out that method of over-tensioning on other locks too, and again it's only good to identify, you could screw up your pick or the lock if you try setting a pin like that. I've had a lot of success doing that.

Libertyclicks wrote:Anyway, I think I'm not qualified to open this yet. Back to basics for this picker.

But...

Libertyclicks wrote:I opened this schlage deadbolt for the first time the other day, today I opened it seven times with little problem.

You need a "confidence lock." One of those locks that can be opened using your non-dominant hand or something, usually Kwikset or Masterlock. Once you fail to open a lock for a long time, even if you have opened it before, you just get more and more frustrated and nothing much good comes from that. Sometimes it's best to just put it in the asshole pile and play with some other locks for awhile. Come back to it later and try not to feel so defeated about it. After all, you've beat it 7 times already, so what if it won once?
"What if you people made giant boulders illegal because of all the innocent people who get killed by giant boulders?"
"People dont kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"
<<

Libertyclicks

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:56 am

Thanks Aedalas . I can't open anything today, easy, medium, or hard, and it is getting frustrating. I WILL get it open again eventually. The longer it takes now , the more I learn in the mean time.
<<

Libertyclicks

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:31 am

All right, I got it open again.

Turns out there was 4 spools and 1 standard driver.
I'm going to re pin it with one spool then two then three etc.
-------

Ok with one spool only and knowing where it is I can feel it "mushy" when it isn't set correctly. Then I can properly set it and move the other pins until it opens.
More practice , more practice :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:50 am

Excellent job, Libertyclicks. You are well on your way!

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.

Return to Uber-Noob