FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Any pointers?

<<

Pickylocks

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:27 pm

Any pointers?

Any pointers for a guy who can barely tell one pin from the next with a lifter?

Still working on my first ever lock - a crappy $20 deadbolt.

Am I applying tension properly? Am I feeling about in the right way? Etc?

I feel like it would be beneficial to be blindfolded so I could stop trying to use my eyes and perhaps better visualize the internal workings of this little sucker.
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:32 pm

Re: Any pointers?

I am sure you dont want my help but feel free to try the following link. I am sure it will answer a lot of your questions and help you. http://www.lockpicking101.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10677
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

Pickylocks

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:37 pm

Thanks for that. Reading it now.

EDIT: So it says you have to have 5-pin cylinder than you can disassemble and remove the pins. If I can do that, I don't know how. How is it done? What tools are involved?
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:47 pm

void* pointer = 0;
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:41 pm

Kokomo knows the way.... lets follow him!

viewforum.php?f=117

Really though, there's an enormous amount of good stuff to be had
in this line-up of vids Koko has taken the time to put together for us.
(including the answer to your question on dissamebling your lock)
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

Squelchtone

Post Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:57 pm

Pickylocks wrote:Thanks for that. Reading it now.

EDIT: So it says you have to have 5-pin cylinder than you can disassemble and remove the pins. If I can do that, I don't know how. How is it done? What tools are involved?

How do you take a car tire off a car when you have a flat? You just look at the flat tire and work out the problem, is there a hub cap? get a screw driver and pry off the hub cap. are there 4 or 5 nuts on the wheel? go to trunk and find tire iron and loosen nuts. is there a jack in the trunk? put jack under jacking points and lift car up. now remove the loosened nuts and take the wheel off the car.

Locks are similar. There are parts holding other parts together, all you need to do is peel off the layers of the onion until the lock is fully taken apart. Just look at it and think it over, if you aren't mechanically inclined however, picking is probably not a good hobby to be getting into until you fully understand how a lock actually works. sticking picks in and jiggling around is only going to open the cheapest of locks, so you're right when you wrote about closing your eyes and trying to imagine what is going on inside.

As for what tools you need, that will become apparent as you start to take it apart.
Squelchtone
<<

Pickylocks

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:07 pm

Thanks, guys. I've watched quite a few vids already, but I guess I need to watch some more (or watch 'em again). Cheers.
<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:42 pm

Laser?

Seriously though... check out Solomon's PDF book... http://keypicking.com/viewtopic.php?f=116&t=4377 it is good stuff!
"Cave ab homine unius libri" - Beware of anyone who has just one book

(2014.02.09 - 23:26:03) huxleypig: i freaking love cream
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:11) huxleypig: hey, come on, cream is nice
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:37) huxleypig: aww, i suddenly feel very sick

(23:37:46) LocksmithArmy: you should see my school girl outfit
(23:37:50) LocksmithArmy: wait... what

(13:19:50) xeo: that chick will never be satisfied by a real dick
(13:19:54) NNFAK: I would man...

(22:59:49) PhoneMan: how do you let a forum die if users keep using it? kill the servers?

May those who love us, love us; and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping

If someone had prince albert in a can, does that mean they'd have a killer codpiece?

(00:52:02) WolfSpring: elbow could sell a sandbox to an egyptian
<<

GringoLocksmith

Post Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:00 am

Squelchtone wrote: sticking picks in and jiggling around is only going to open the cheapest of locks

Heh. I always start with this method to save time, and in about 80% of cases it works. Once in a while I have to adjust my pressure on the tension wrench to allow for security pins, but even then I'm still just jiggling. Then again, most of the locks I have to open are Phillips brand, which I suspect are the cheapest of locks.
<<

boggif

Post Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:17 am

It may take a while to lean feeling the pins. That is normal for a beginner. Sometimes cheap locks are very hard to feel and some locks give very little feedback. If you have trouble with one lock it may be worth trying some another lock. I think it is important to have at least one lock you can feel and open.

A good method for learning might also be trying it out with a lock that has some of the pins removed. With 2-3 pins it gets much easier to open and as you get more skilled you'll just add more pins (and eventually more security pins perhaps)

Solomon's guide is great. Another nice one is MIT guide http://www.lysator.liu.se/mit-guide/MITLockGuide.pdf
<<

Harvey

Familiar Face

Post Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:38 am

Pickylocks wrote:Thanks, guys. I've watched quite a few vids already, but I guess I need to watch some more (or watch 'em again). Cheers.

B - B - B - B -

What happened there?
<<

Neilau

Post Tue May 21, 2013 1:26 am

Try putting a little dimple on your lifter or half diamond pick.

Like this.

pick tip.jpg

Neilau
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

escher7

Post Tue May 21, 2013 6:24 am

No one can tell you how to apply the correct tension or what tool to use for a given lock. They can suggest, but every lock is different and only practice will get you to where you want to be. I would, however, suggest that you pick up a few more cylinders. If you can't get one you might succeed with another, and sometimes cheap locks are so loose or screwy that they are hard to pick. Find a small size local locksmith and introduce yourself - chances are they will give you a box of old cylinders if you ask nicely. (They did for me.) And read. The web is full of good material and videos.
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Tue May 21, 2013 4:07 pm

Please note that the OP is banned and will not be here to read or reply to your responses.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Return to Uber-Noob