FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Question about deadbolt I just bought

<<

Pickylocks

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:43 pm

Question about deadbolt I just bought

I just bought this deadbolt to learn on. I almost took it back for a padlock just cuz the whole door knob thing looked heavy and ungainly, and I thought the padlock would be easier to work with. ANyway, being the noob I am, the locksmith informed me that I could just work on the cylinder, that the rest would fall away, unnecessary.

So I'm at home now, and I've busted open the package, but when I put the key in the cylinder it just spins and spins and spins. Is that supposed to happen? I'm used to hearing the click of a lock to know I've opened it; is it different picking a deadbolt? Does this even matter?

Let me know,

LP
<<

LocksmithArmy

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:47 pm

Re: Question about deadbolt I just bought

they cylinder alone will spin and spin and spin... the click of the lock opening is when the locking mechanism is moved... if the locking mechanism is not attached its obviously not going to be moving... picking a cylinder is where you want to start... when it turns its picked...

you wont be unlocking anything till its installed properly... but picing the cylinder in your hand is where you learn to actually unlock things
Pokey wrote:"Come and get me, loser! Spankity spankity spankity!"
<<

Pickylocks

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:52 pm

LocksmithArmy wrote:they cylinder alone will spin and spin and spin... the click of the lock opening is when the locking mechanism is moved... if the locking mechanism is not attached its obviously not going to be moving... picking a cylinder is where you want to start... when it turns its picked...

you wont be unlocking anything till its installed properly... but picing the cylinder in your hand is where you learn to actually unlock things

Thanks. I don't yet fully understand the internal workings of a lock. I get the pin part, but evidently not this.

But what do you mean, when it turns, it's picked? It's spins and spins and spins. You mean, go ahead and pick it, but when the tension wrench moves, it's open? It's odd, the wrench sits at almost 6 o'clock...but I suppose that doesn't matter?

Also, why is the key getting stuck inside?
<<

Don

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:21 pm

Pickylocks wrote: [

Thanks. I don't yet fully understand the internal workings of a lock. I get the pin part, but evidently not this.

But what do you mean, when it turns, it's picked? It's spins and spins and spins. You mean, go ahead and pick it, but when the tension wrench moves, it's open? It's odd, the wrench sits at almost 6 o'clock...but I suppose that doesn't matter?

Also, why is the key getting stuck inside?

The cylinder will spin when it is picked.. just like when you have a key in it :)
The key is getting stuck because it is not in the correct position .. it must be at 12:00 to be removed. Where is 12:00? Usually if there is a name on the cylinder is is toward the middle of the name. When you do find 12:00 you might want to mark that position for future reference.
<<

jailersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:40 pm

Check out videos on deviant ollam's web site to get a visual on how locks work. Then check members videos on keypicking.com. Once you grasp the concepts of locks the fog will dissapate. Hang in there.
<<

Gratefuldeadbolt

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:16 pm

Picky - if you have a chance to make it to Hamilton tomorrow (1/2 hour drive from Toronto depending where in Toronto you are), We have a Toronto / Hamilton chapter of TOOOL that is meeting at THINKHAUS (www.thinkhaus.org) between 2pm and 4pm or later like last month we went over an hour overtime ;) We are a friendly bunch and there are a whole range of skill levels that meet basically for the love of locks and the challenge picking presents us. We could address most of your questions you have as well as provide you a safe fun enviroment to practice your new hobby. We have lots of locks to practice on. We meet the first Sat of every month. Message me if you need any more info, or check out www.thinkhaus.org for more information.

If you cannot make it there, keep practicing and keep asking questions... there are quite a few tutorials and videos here that may provide most of what you need to know, as well as lots of VERY VERY knowlegable folk here that are more than willing to help guide you on your journey into the lockpicking hobby.

Gratefuldeadbolt.
<<

Pickylocks

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:00 pm

Gratefuldeadbolt wrote:Picky - if you have a chance to make it to Hamilton tomorrow (1/2 hour drive from Toronto depending where in Toronto you are), We have a Toronto / Hamilton chapter of TOOOL that is meeting at THINKHAUS (www.thinkhaus.org) between 2pm and 4pm or later like last month we went over an hour overtime ;) We are a friendly bunch and there are a whole range of skill levels that meet basically for the love of locks and the challenge picking presents us. We could address most of your questions you have as well as provide you a safe fun enviroment to practice your new hobby. We have lots of locks to practice on. We meet the first Sat of every month. Message me if you need any more info, or check out www.thinkhaus.org for more information.

If you cannot make it there, keep practicing and keep asking questions... there are quite a few tutorials and videos here that may provide most of what you need to know, as well as lots of VERY VERY knowlegable folk here that are more than willing to help guide you on your journey into the lockpicking hobby.

Gratefuldeadbolt.

I wish I could, and maybe in the future I will, but for now I'll keep practicing here. I've literally picked for all of 10 minutes - that's it! Let me get a little more time under my belt and maybe I'll attend a future TOOOL meeting.

Thanks, man.
<<

Gratefuldeadbolt

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:22 pm

I've literally picked for all of 10 minutes - that's it! Let me get a little more time under my belt and maybe I'll attend a future TOOOL meeting.

You may have picked for 10 min, but you also now have 19 posts on the forums... thats almost 2 posts per minute of picking! Thats the kind of enthusiasum we need at the TOOOL meeting. Please do not feel you are not welcome due to inexperience... quite the opposite actually, YOU of all people are most welcome! The passion you are showing already to learning is admirible and will definately lead you to success!
Well just know that you are welcome to drop by to any meeting, you will meet others there with similar passion!

Till we meet one day, good luck on the picking, and I look forward to watching your story from absolute beginner to ....? Well the rest is up to you :)

Keep on searching for your answers... and keep on practicing! And above all stay passionate and in good spirit and success will come your way!

GDB.

Return to Uber-Noob