FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Should I have started with a larger lock?

<<

Pickylocks

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:02 pm

Should I have started with a larger lock?

I bought two that about an inch by an inch...they say "40mm", not the larger Master Locks you see that are more of a handful. Should I have started with something larger, or does it even matter?
<<

PickForge

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:06 pm

Re: Should I have started with a larger lock?

imo a good lock to start out with would be a dead bolt lock, or a pad lock that you can re-pin. main reason for this, you can add and remove pin stacks depending on your skill, and also add security pins down the road with out having to invest a lot into new locks.

you can pick up a Brinks brand deadbolt lock from wal-mart for less then $20US the one I had bought did have 2 spool driver pins, they are not super deep spools but they will still give a bit of a false set.
<<

Gratefuldeadbolt

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:21 pm

I would have to agree with PickForge for another reason, it sounds like you have picked up a padlock, although they CAN be an easier lock to pick (not always!) a lot of padlocks will introduce another issue sure to confuse a new picker... the lock plug under spring tension. Have a look at your padlock, take the working key and try to feel the turning force required to open the padlock, does the plug with the key in it return back to its starting position as if it is under spring force?
When you have a deadbolt (minus the latch and inner thumbturn etc) you won't have this problem, the plug will turn freely and you wont have to battle against a spring to turn it!
<<

Pickylocks

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:29 pm

Ahh, I see what you mean, and yes, the plug is under tension.

I definitely am going to go the route of picking up locks for now, but I wish I hadn't picked this one up. Damn it. By deadbolts, you guys mean the kind you see in doors or are some padlocks sold without that plug tension too?

To be clear, you guys are recommending the door type, or re-pinnable locks (in which I assume the plug doesn't spin?) I guess what I'm trying to say is, are all padlocks springy like that, or did I just did the wrong ones? Or do I in fact have to buy deadbolt door-type locks to get around this problem?

Re-pinnable would be a bonus, but I figured it would be expensive.
Last edited by Pickylocks on Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Pickylocks

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:43 pm

PickForge wrote:you can pick up a Brinks brand deadbolt lock from wal-mart for less then $20US the one I had bought did have 2 spool driver pins, they are not super deep spools but they will still give a bit of a false set.

So this is the type you'd find in a door, and you hold it in a vice, right?
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:11 pm

Yes, a deadbolt is the lock from a door, but not the door knob. Just about any deadbolt is repinnable. Padlocks are only repinnable (in most cases) if they can be taken apart. Not all padlocks are under spring tension. A good example of a padlock that is not under spring tension is Commando Lock (a GREAT sponsor of this site!!!) However, that is not really a good beginner lock, as they have many security pins.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

PickForge

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:40 am

[quote="Pickylocks"
To be clear, you guys are recommending the door type, or re-pinnable locks (in which I assume the plug doesn't spin?) I guess what I'm trying to say is, are all padlocks springy like that, or did I just did the wrong ones? Or do I in fact have to buy deadbolt door-type locks to get around this problem?

Re-pinnable would be a bonus, but I figured it would be expensive.[/quote]

yes a deadbolt lock is referring to a door lock. as far as re-pinnable padlocks they come in different flavors, it sounds like you are pretty new to this hobby so I would suggest staying away from SFICs and LFICs for now, look for a lock that uses a screw under the shackle to hold the core in place, there are a few companies that make these, off of the top of my head I know I have seen 1 or 2 in Dicey's youtube videos and I know I used to have a Brinks brand brass bodied padlock that used a modified deadbolt cylinder might have been KW1 or SC1 keyway can't remember exactly.

I really recommend you check out some of our members youtube videos, there are a lot of picking and lock breakdown videos out there, they will give you a better understanding of how the locks work and will help you understand the terminology used in the hobby/trade.
<<

jailersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:56 pm

I've got a 40mm padlock made in China and the lightest tension works best because the springs are very weak compared to Master padlocks. Hope this helps.
<<

verz

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:01 pm

Pickylocks wrote:I bought two that about an inch by an inch...they say "40mm", not the larger Master Locks you see that are more of a handful. Should I have started with something larger, or does it even matter?

I have a similar one, No130 it is so small that it is hard to get the pick and the tension wrench in it, I have to do top tension to even get to the pins. Yeah a bigger lock will probably be more pleasant to play with.

Return to Uber-Noob