FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

how do sidebars work?

<<

Jc2intelligent

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:40 pm

how do sidebars work?

I've always wondered how sidebars work. how is it possible that a key can pull a sidebar in? i might try my hand at a bilock if i ever get sidebars down. any answers?
no matter how good you are there is still room for improvement. if you keep working you will be the best there ever will be. Banned For Persistently Annoying Others After Continually Being Warned. --- Learn From His MistakeImage
<<

Josh

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:49 pm

Re: how do sidebars work?

ok so if you take a look at a medeco key pin, you will see that it will have a slit down it. not, the sidebar had prongs that will fit into that slit perfectly.
the sidebar is pressed up against the pins so when the pins are at the right height and properly rotated, the slits will line up with the prongs. and the side bar will be depressed into the side of the plug and then the plug will be able to turn. i am not to sure about bilocks, but i believe they use the same system as do many other sidebar using locks.

here are some pics of the medeco one
http://www.thesidebar.org/insecurity/?cat=20
<<

Jc2intelligent

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Josh wrote:ok so if you take a look at a medeco key pin, you will see that it will have a slit down it. not, the sidebar had prongs that will fit into that slit perfectly.
the sidebar is pressed up against the pins so when the pins are at the right height and properly rotated, the slits will line up with the prongs. and the side bar will be depressed into the side of the plug and then the plug will be able to turn. i am not to sure about bilocks, but i believe they use the same system as do many other sidebar using locks.

here are some pics of the medeco one
http://www.thesidebar.org/insecurity/?cat=20

yeah. the medeco "president" sent me a service manual of it. and i know how it works in medeco. i was just wondering how it works in other locks like the GM wafer locks,and other locks with sidebars. thanks josh :)
no matter how good you are there is still room for improvement. if you keep working you will be the best there ever will be. Banned For Persistently Annoying Others After Continually Being Warned. --- Learn From His MistakeImage
<<

Site Admin

Post Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:21 pm

No, the medeco's PR team sent you the manual, the president would never need to mess arround with anything like that.

Do you honestly think a guy of that status would be slaving away at a computer answering people PM's.

Lew
<<

Josh

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:24 pm

haha true lew :D
if so then that would be a pretty bad place to be a president of...
<<

Jc2intelligent

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:28 pm

Lockylew wrote:No, the medeco's PR team sent you the manual, the president would never need to mess arround with anything like that.

Do you honestly think a guy of that status would be slaving away at a computer answering people PM's.

Lew

actually...he called me. i guess that it was a representative that called...
<<

Site Admin

Post Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:30 pm

Why would they call you?

I'm sorry man but i seriously find that hard to believe.

you told me this story before and you told me that they emailed you not called.

not having a go i just need more clarification

Lew
<<

Jc2intelligent

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:36 pm

Lockylew wrote:Why would they call you?

I'm sorry man but i seriously find that hard to believe.

you told me this story before and you told me that they emailed you not called.

not having a go i just need more clarification

Lew

no... I e-mailed.they DIDN'T e-mail. they CALLED. and it's because i made an inquery with the heading "dear medeco president" and i'm not sure if there is a president because they're a branch of assa abloy.so i guess they made a representative call me. i left my phone number in there anyway.
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:57 pm

With the Bilock, we have two rows of chisel-tipped square pins,and two sidebars,(one on each side...)
When the key lifts the twelve square pins to the correct height,the six sidebar fingers (per side) align with holes in the upper part of each pin, allowing the sidebars to drop into their respective cavities, allowing the plug to rotate.
They also have false holes,(dimples ,actually) at random heights to throw off the would-be attacker.
you can see in this vid ,the sidebars,held in place with rubber bands, pushed OUT of their
depressions (by tiny springs,visible in the bottom picture) ,align with the grooves on either side of the bore,preventing plug rotation.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=4GSvOpG3H5Y

......and that's pretty much it.... =)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
" I Love the smell of napalm in the morning!....."

<<

Kai

Familiar Face

Post Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:49 am

Jc2intelligent wrote: ...and it's because i made an inquery with the heading "dear medeco president"...

I used to work for Wachovia Bank. The "Office of the President" was right behind me. The President's actual office was actually 30 miles away, but any time there is a letter or email addressed to him these girls respond and sign it will his title. Probably something similar here.

Return to Uber-Noob