FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Where to go from here.

<<

Geoman1217

Post Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:13 pm

Where to go from here.

Hello Everyone,

I looking for some guidence on what locks to tackle next? I've gotten American Locks down and recently ordered 4 new Commando locks, but I get the sense that there on the same level of American locks. I have a couple Medcos and a Lockwood that I know are outside my current skill set, but not knowledgable enough on lock brands to really know what a good next step would be. I understand how the Medicos work but just not good with picking mushroom pins. Also the Lockwood is a complete mistery to me. A local locksmith keyed it and gave it to me to play with, but no idea what's in it because I can't get any feel of the pins. Anyways, just please let me know what you think a good next lock type or brand would be.

Thanks for your help,

Justin
<<

Violaetor

Post Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:20 pm

Re: Where to go from here.

A pinning kit. Disassemble your current locks, inspect and understand them, pick them with only 2 or 3 pins in them. If you're fine with spools and serrated, just focus on the medeco, list the model and someone will help you with what's possibly inside it and how to tackle it.
Looking to get something made? Send me a PM!
<<

PickForge

Familiar Face

Post Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:25 pm

it sounds like you have the basic picking concepts down and it's time to move to higher security, the medecos would be a good move, they are very frustrating at first but just like picking your first lock give it time or maybe ASSA or some other pin tumbler with extra features(sidebars, check pins etc). another idea might be to branch out to different types locks, maybe levers, disc detainer, dimple(move from basic to MT5+).

There seems to be this mid point milestone/hump/hurdle in lock sport, once you get the hang of pin tumbler locks and security pins there is a cliff or fork to take, move on to high security or branch out to other types.
<<

Geoman1217

Post Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:27 pm

I've taken the sidebar out of one of them and have left the other untouched. I really struggle with mushroom pins because I haven't picked them as much as spool and serated. I don't have a repinning kit, but have a tone of parts that I've used to rekey and make new challenges. Would a regular repinning kit come with security pins?

Thanks for the post.
<<

Geoman1217

Post Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:10 pm

PickForge wrote:it sounds like you have the basic picking concepts down and it's time to move to higher security, the medecos would be a good move, they are very frustrating at first but just like picking your first lock give it time or maybe ASSA or some other pin tumbler with extra features(sidebars, check pins etc). another idea might be to branch out to different types locks, maybe levers, disc detainer, dimple(move from basic to MT5+).

There seems to be this mid point milestone/hump/hurdle in lock sport, once you get the hang of pin tumbler locks and security pins there is a cliff or fork to take, move on to high security or branch out to other types.

I feel you're exactly right. I feel like most locks that I aquire through loved ones that only know locks a lock and he likes locks. Get me easy pickers. The Medecos and Lockwood are my only difficult locks, and with the sidebar in, I haven't had any luck with them. Just gets discuriging when you work on a lock for hours and feel you haven't made any progress on it. I'll keep picking away on them until one of us gives.

Thanks,

Justin
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:24 pm

Schlage, Corbin, Sargent are all good locks to practice on. They will not always have security pins, but they have good tolerances.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

Aedalas

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:24 pm

Can you pull out some pins? Drop it down to two pins and learn to pick it, good practice on rotating them, once you get good at it add another. I'm not sure I'd have ever learned to pick Medeco without doing that.
"What if you people made giant boulders illegal because of all the innocent people who get killed by giant boulders?"
"People dont kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"
<<

PickForge

Familiar Face

Post Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:59 pm

Aedalas wrote:Can you pull out some pins? Drop it down to two pins and learn to pick it, good practice on rotating them, once you get good at it add another. I'm not sure I'd have ever learned to pick Medeco without doing that.

this, treat the higher security locks just like you would when you first started picking, minimize the pin stacks to get the feel for the lock type, with a medeco, drop it to 2-3 stacks and if you are struggling with the mushrooms then make sure you throw one in one of the stacks and take the side bar out, once you get used to that, throw the sidebar back in and see if you can pick it, if you are getting a shearline set but no love on the side bar, pull the springs and driver pins out and only leave in a few key along with the sidebar and get a feel for rotating and setting the side bar. finally put all of it together, 3+ pins with shrooms and sidebar.

you will get it :) be patient.
<<

Geoman1217

Post Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:01 pm

Aedalas wrote:Can you pull out some pins? Drop it down to two pins and learn to pick it, good practice on rotating them, once you get good at it add another. I'm not sure I'd have ever learned to pick Medeco without doing that.

Now that you've said it, that makes perfect sense. I feel a little foolish. Thanks
<<

Geoman1217

Post Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:03 pm

Corbin and Sargent are kind of difficult to find locally, but I'll keep my eyes open on ebay.

Return to Uber-Noob