FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

why do we put 2 tension wrenches in the lock?

<<

Jc2intelligent

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:47 pm

why do we put 2 tension wrenches in the lock?

i've noticed that people are always putting 2 tension wrenches in the lock when they pick something. redbird 1983 did that with the brinks max security shrouded he has. it it because of how hard it is to turn the plug? or is it something else?

thanks, Jc
no matter how good you are there is still room for improvement. if you keep working you will be the best there ever will be. Banned For Persistently Annoying Others After Continually Being Warned. --- Learn From His MistakeImage
<<

Jinglesanator

Post Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:59 pm

Re: why do we put 2 tension wrenches in the lock?

Yeah, I was wondering too, I vaguely (can't spell) remember something about binding but I'm not sure.
Image Keep on Pushin'
<<

Site Admin

Post Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:24 pm

This is to stop the tension wrench from binding up against the sidewall in the lock.

Wiz is your man for this one, I'm sure you've noticed wiz mention the word "slew" in a couple of his videos. Well the slew is the free movement of the tension wrench within the keyway allowing the wrench to move back and for with ease.

If your wrench binds in the keyway then by adding another smaller tension wrench at the top, it creates like a kind of dome effect because the keyway is curved, so the first wrench inserted is no longer in contact with the sidewall because the second tension wrench is in the way which removes any binding issues.

that's pretty much it in a nutshell.

Lew
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:35 pm

couldn't have said it better myself..
" I Love the smell of napalm in the morning!....."

<<

m0ose

Post Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:15 am

Lockylew wrote:This is to stop the tension wrench from binding up against the sidewall in the lock.

Wiz is your man for this one, I'm sure you've noticed wiz mention the word "slew" in a couple of his videos. Well the slew is the free movement of the tension wrench within the keyway allowing the wrench to move back and for with ease.

If your wrench binds in the keyway then by adding another smaller tension wrench at the top, it creates like a kind of dome effect because the keyway is curved, so the first wrench inserted is no longer in contact with the sidewall because the second tension wrench is in the way which removes any binding issues.

that's pretty much it in a nutshell.

Lew

Exactly. I find that in certain key ways, if you have a small enough wrench it is good to do. While picking Masters specifically, my main wrench isn't great for not binding, so I sometimes have to double up on the wrenches to fill the void so my main wrench doesn't catch.

Personally a good tension wrench for such is a bent postal staple. They are easy to bend and if you get them on a box like I did, there's no better use for them. :P
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:31 am

Jinglesanator wrote:Yeah, I was wondering too, I vaguely (can't spell) remember something about binding but I'm not sure.

Pick up an American 1105 and you'll notice when you stick your tension wrench in the bottom that it sometimes has a tendency to slip down low and catch underneath the notch for the first groove in the keyway.

If you put too much pressure on it when picking, it'll slip over and over - and the more you try - the more it'll wear away at that notch. Eventually, you'll maul it so bad that tensioning from the bottom is almost impossible - so you have to resort to using a second wrench - or tension from the top of the keyway.

Return to Uber-Noob