FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Convertible Tubular Pick

<<

Josh66

Post Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:45 pm

Re: Convertible Tubular Pick

I wonder if they're just using the wrong picture, like MBI said...?

The two piece set does sound like the better deal though. A whole other pick for only $10 extra (compared to the convertible pick)? Plus you don't have to screw around swapping it back and forth between 7 or 8 pin. I'm not sure how complicated that is, but not having to do it at all sounds a hell of a lot easier. Southern Specialties makes the switch sound pretty easy though.

I haven't used a tubular pick before, but I have a bunch of tubular locks. I've tried picking them with regular picks, and that has been unreliable.

How hard is the conversion, MBI?
<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:35 pm

At the top of this very page, you will see some sponsor banners. Click on the one for Lock Pick Shop. They sell them. Also, you can get a discount for being a member here. Use the coupon code KEYPICK, if that doesn't work try KEYPICKI.

-Elbow
"Cave ab homine unius libri" - Beware of anyone who has just one book

(2014.02.09 - 23:26:03) huxleypig: i freaking love cream
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:11) huxleypig: hey, come on, cream is nice
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:37) huxleypig: aww, i suddenly feel very sick

(23:37:46) LocksmithArmy: you should see my school girl outfit
(23:37:50) LocksmithArmy: wait... what

(13:19:50) xeo: that chick will never be satisfied by a real dick
(13:19:54) NNFAK: I would man...

(22:59:49) PhoneMan: how do you let a forum die if users keep using it? kill the servers?

May those who love us, love us; and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping

If someone had prince albert in a can, does that mean they'd have a killer codpiece?

(00:52:02) WolfSpring: elbow could sell a sandbox to an egyptian
<<

Josh66

Post Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:01 pm

I've tried ordering from them before and always had problems checking out, lol. I'll try again when I order this though.

I could never get their website to take my card for some reason... It would always just decline it. I don't know what the problem was, but it wasn't on my end.
<<

rai

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:17 am

I have one that I made with help from a machinest. the sliders, 8 of them are on a sleeve as thick as a key and inside this there is a stem slot pickup that is on a round rod that has a handle on it that comes out the usuall handle end.
you tension that handle after getting it into the slot on the lock stem, this tool does the 7 pin left right and center and does eight pin also, and I have used it to open those locks, (typically bike U locks) that have no stem slot pickup, for these, i remover the inner rod that has the slot pickup and just use the sleeve with the sliders on it. I hold it by the black O rings that hold the sliders in place.
it works very well and is about two and a half inches long.
<<

easy-e

Familiar Face

Post Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:28 pm

Josh66: What did you end up buying? How do they work?

rai: Do you have a picture of your custom tubular pick anywhere? How does it do both 8 pin and 7 pin L/R/C?
<<

rai

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:46 am

get the eight pin tubular, it will do eight pin and 7 pin offset right 7pin offset left and if you reduce or drive back with a mandrell the center stem pick up it will also do the 7 pin centered, because you dont need the stem pick up to make any of these work, the turning pressure is applied to the binding pins until the hit the sheer and then it all turns anyway. you are pushing it by the picked pins not the stem keyslot
<<

rai

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:53 am

The custom tool you speak of has a center rod with the stem pickup that is connected to the small handle, (big enough to pinch with two fingers, not built for heavy overforceing.
the center is covered by a thin sleeve about the same thickness as the key barrel, and that has the slots and sliders and rubber O rings,
this one will also do the type that have no center stem keyslot, if you have seen them on some bicycle U locks,
to do these, I simply pull the center pickup and handle out and use just the sleeve with the sliders and slots, I hold it by the rubbler O rings. these type that have no stem pickup are operated by simply pushing the set pins when its ready to go.
Previous

Return to Uber-Noob