FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Uber noob! lock picking, what set to get/make?

<<

wingzjr

Post Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:56 pm

Uber noob! lock picking, what set to get/make?

Iv watched some videos and I am very interested, seems like something that could be a relaxing hobby for winter time, sitting on the bed and picking locks all cozy... anyways enough of that!

Would this be a good set to get for a beginner? Shirt Pocket Pick Set Series A: PM7A-PS

Or would somthing like the set mentioned above be better?

http://lockpicksandtools.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=31&category_id=7&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53

I was also thinking of making my own lock picks from a template but I have no idea where to get the templates from!

Open to suggestions as well!

Thanks!!
<<

piotr

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:10 am

Re: Uber noob! lock picking, what set to get/make?

That set from SS is a good starter kit, well-suited to a beginner.

There is a section on the forum with pick templates, don't know it off the top of my head but I remeber posting some templates there. Use the search function.

If you are on a tight budget don't spend it on commercial progressively pinned cylinders or cutaways (they are often over-priced). Instead by some key-in-knob (KIK) cylinders with a Kwikset keyway from ebay and progressively pin those by just removing the superfluous pins. KIK cylinders are quite cheap new or used (around US$5-8 for a new generic and round half that used). Also buy a small hobby vise to mount the locks. The laminated Master padlocks are also good for beginners.

That should be enough to get you started. Happy picking.
<<

LockMan789

Familiar Face

Post Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:19 am

These are just my suggestions based on my use and people I talked to and not something you should rely on as your only source of input.

If you want to just go the easy route, that set looks good enough for starting, but if you want to be particular and specific, here's my input. Also, out of that set, if you just got the short hook, half diamond, snake rake and 1 single sided wrench and 1 double sided wrench, with no ripple handles and no case, it would come out cheaper. The ball and half ball, i believe are for cheap cabinet locks, that's all I use them for, I can't get them to do anything useful in any pin tumbler lock, but if simplicity is more important than lots of time and consideration, i'd just go with that set you linked. You can always add more tools later.

Otherwise:
single picks are between $1-$2, same with most wrenches. shipping is i think $3-$4
I suggest getting:
#1 short hook. :shorthook: (and some slimline short hooks, these are my #1 tools used) and/or small half diamond :halfdiamond: (though personally, I can't use them properly, but many people claim to like them.)
#2 standard tension wrench (good luck without any sort of wrench)
#3 some sort of rake like a snakerake :snakerake:
#4 variations of tension wrench widths for different size keyways. Optional twist flex, tulip style, etc.
#5 bogata style rake and offset small diamond and maybe a reach tool.

Although there are many other useful tools, for the most part, that's mainly what I personally use on a regular basis.

I suggest NOT getting:
The broken key extractor pick because I think the only time they will work, is if a small enough part is broken off, that you can put the tool into the keyway, rather than it breaking off flush to the keyway, but i could be wrong.

I also don't recommend buying any LARGE versions of picks, like Long Hook, Large diamond and so on. They wont fit most keyways and if they don't fit, you can't use them, but if your like me and have to have all the tools, it is up to you.

So basically, some short hook variations, various wrench sizes/styles, a rake or few and anything else is up to you. You can buy tools individually from Southord and Southern Specialties, which is what i did. I got some special ripple handles, but not many, just for fun.

Oh yeah, and Peterson and HPC are two of the top brand tools that I know of.
Last edited by LockMan789 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Alaphablue

The only difference between me and this crazy island is that I'm a madman!

Post Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:34 am

I wish some told me this when I started so I am telling you (Peterson international) government steel short hook ,reach,and gem picks. Get the Peterson pry bar tension wrenches . Buy these and you will not regret it
<<

wingzjr

Post Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:14 pm

Thanks guys! going to go with a few of the basic Peterson single picks!
<<

Alaphablue

Post Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:45 pm

Peterson are the best commercial picks I have owned they are strong and give good feed back . It's better to own few great picks than a hundred cheap ones .

Return to Uber-Noob