FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Where can I get LOTS of locks to practice with cheaply/free

<<

ecksdee

Familiar Face

Post Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:26 am

Where can I get LOTS of locks to practice with cheaply/free

Right now I only have six locks to pick, and I know them all like the back of my head. I'm broke, so I can't just buy more locks. Where can I get lots of locks for little or no money? ANYTHING works- I mean I'd love to get a high security cylinder to work with but I'd imagine those don't usually end up being tossed out. Considering I'm only eighteen, where can I reliably get lots of locks?
<<

Violaetor

Post Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:49 am

Re: Where can I get LOTS of locks to practice with cheaply/f

Become good friends with a locksmith, check scrap yards, shipping yards. Generally speaking you won't find the words LOTS, HIGH SECURITY, FREE in the same sentence. The only reliable source for locks is buying them, even at that it's really hit or miss for something good.
Looking to get something made? Send me a PM!
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:54 am

Being broke sucks, believe me I've been there too many times in my life. But save a few bucks here and there, go to WalMart or Home Depot or Lowes and pick something up. If you smoke ease up for a couple of days on the cigarettes, if you drink, drink less. Whatever your vice is ease up a little long enough to spend a few bucks on a lock. What is your experience level? Are you picking standard pin locks or are you up to spools?
<<

MrPharmer2012

Doctor... Contributor
Doctor... Contributor

Post Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:03 am

I agree talk to a locksmith thy always have a ton of keyless locks customers have left or that they have removed work out deal that I what I did this past year he put a lot of locks on loan for me and I would pick them and swap them out he even gave me customers locks that he could nt get or didn't have time for and some he even allowed me to purchase for you guys example ASSA LFIC's but when I picked the locks for him he used this as payment from me an didn't charge me to use his code machine etc I had another locksmith that just gave me 10 padlocks a mortises he said I could just have that customers left
<<

ecksdee

Familiar Face

Post Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:10 am

Excellent advice, thanks- and yeah, I was saying I'd love to have some high security locks but I assumed that a combination of key control and the high price of most high security affairs would make it all but impossible for me to acquire them cheaply/free. Ill take anything I can get. So yeah, I'll talk to a locksmith. I also got an EZ-Rekey style system for me to just screw around with that is hopefully in my mailbox- that should be a great thing to learn on.
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:01 pm

I guess it partly depends on what you consider cheap. Retail for high-security locks starts around $50, but usually they're in the $100-$200 range, per cylinder. You can frequently find them on the Buy-Sell-Trade board here on this site for $10-$30 plus shipping, depending on the lock and whether or not it has keys. In comparison to retail that's pretty cheap.

Ebay is another good source, but you often have to either be lucky, persistant or willing to buy in bulk to get the lowest prices per cylinder. A lot of the guys on the forum here buy the bulk lots of locks on ebay, then break it up and sell the individual locks here for a small markup. It's still usually a pretty good deal.

Your best bet is to check the BST board at least a couple times a day to watch for bargains. The good deals go fast.
viewforum.php?f=49
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:10 pm

Repin the locks you have,this would also give you some practise.
<<

Steve

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:16 pm

Try and buy large lots off ebay or other places for cheap, you can occasionally find lots of 10+ locks for 30 dollars and up, they will give you a good variety and you may be able to resell some of them individually for quite a bit more to support the hobby. Its all about finding the deals and consistently searching the market, whether it be ebay or your local locksmith.
<<

ecksdee

Familiar Face

Post Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:15 pm

Lots like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-48-Best-Fal ... 500wt_1413

(AKA SHOULD I BUY THESE?)
To pick a lock is to speak a language spoken in naught but whispers and riddles.
<<

Violaetor

Post Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:37 pm

A little excessive, but you could always part it out afterwards... but seriously expect that winning bid to get kinda high, hopefully not many people are watching... well at least until you posted the link :P.
Looking to get something made? Send me a PM!
<<

ecksdee

Familiar Face

Post Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:44 pm

For some strange reason I thought that was a "buy it now"

tear it up guys. Enjoy. I'll settle for a single I-core with a key and a lot of padlocks I'll find somewhere or other.

EDIT: What about these? I'm not sure if this would be good because frankly I can't tell if they're all even pin tumblers

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-8-Used-p ... 500wt_1180
To pick a lock is to speak a language spoken in naught but whispers and riddles.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:25 pm

I wouldn't jump on that one ecksdee. At least half of those are warded bit key locks (not pin tumblers)
Plus, if the price isn't enough to turn you off... the description should be: "For parts or not working"

Just keep waiting... you'll eventually come across a nice lot for a decent price. Ebay's a waiting game.
When I want a specific lock...sometimes I'll wait a month or more until I find the right one at the right price.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:43 am

Violaetor wrote:A little excessive, but you could always part it out afterwards... but seriously expect that winning bid to get kinda high, hopefully not many people are watching... well at least until you posted the link :P.

I followed that one out of curiosity. It didn't go up until the last hour or two and sold for $71.00
<<

Tarquin

Familiar Face

Post Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:33 pm

Note that I'm not very good yet. That said, I sort of share your position, and here's how I've overcome it.

Become a known entity.

I don't know to what extent that matters, but I find reassurance knowing things about the others that I talk to on here as well. Some of us are professionals and whether paranoid or justified, some folks worry about who they're giving their help to. So I made sure I became a known entity.

To start off, I just fucking camped in the chat room. I asked questions, told jokes, and made sure I gave everyone a chance to get to know me. That's not to say I sucked anyone off - quite the contrary - but I made myself open to questions, critique, and I asked questions. I initiated conversations.

That was months ago.

Shortly after that, I began meeting as many people in real life as I could. So far I've only met three people from the community here, but it's a start. This helps make me a known quantity too. There are at least two other members here who can attest that I am in fact, an honorably discharged, college educated high school teacher that is not using information or shared resources so I can knock off the Pepsi machine next to the swimming pool.

Since then I've posted vids of my picking, my failing, and of my beer making. I'm accessible and I'm not all mysterious and shit. People - whether they love me or hate me - know who and what I am. That means they're not worried about how what I do reflects on them.

This also makes it possible for me to get involved in some of the "resource sharing" I was talking about above. Let's be honest... This shit's expensive! We all know how much the tools cost - or we know how long and how many tries it took to make our own. We know what the locks cost. This shit's expensive. If you're a known entity in the community, you don't even have to try. You'll be invited for pass-alongs. These things are fucking GREAT, man!

It's where one person has a lock, and picks the shit out of it. That person then posts a vid and asks who else wants to take a shot at it. It gets sent to that person who fucks with it, posts a vid, and then sends it on to the next stop. Sometimes the owner wants their shit back, sometimes it's perpetual. None the less, getting into some of this kind of resource sharing is a great way for people like myself to get their hands on some of the really expensive locks out there.

In order to do that though, you have to show you're trustworthy, reliable, that you're not stealing anyone's shit, and that you're going to handle the stuff with the responsibility that comes with being part of a shared community.

I sent things out to several different members before anyone sent anything to me. I can't be certain of course, but I suspect that it didn't hurt that I had sent some stuff to other members first, showing trust and dedication on my part. Before I knew it, I was getting packages from other people.

In this way, you can get into the pass-alongs and such. Someone like you and I will probably never be able to afford some of these fucking locks. But if you build up your street cred and make yourself known, you'll be able to get in on these pass-alongs and enjoy the locks that are hundreds of dollars a pop for about 6 bucks (because that's what it costs to mail them to the next guy).

How can you beat that? Locks that cost hundreds - sometimes thousands - of dollars... For 6 bucks?

Make yourself a known entity, and build up some street cred.

Also... I'm not sure what your skill level is currently, but I know that Brinks makes a padlock that costs less than 15 bucks (as low as $7 sometimes). Here is the lock, and the world's most awesome video on it courtesy of Jruther. I have one of these locks. Some of the gang here have extras. See if you can buy one cheap because if you're new to security pins, these fuckers will entertain you for months!

Another good option is the American locks. I know Riyame has a few he will sell you at a good price. They're inexpensive and a very good learning lock. They're going to be less than $15 a piece as well, and they have interchangeable cores so they remain cost effective. These are fun and they're good for many levels of learning.

Use items like these to hone your skills. I know we all want to get good at all kinds of locks, but these are good locks for learning and the prices on them are very doable for most folks. I'd look for locks like the two I mentioned here (and a few others) along the way to help you get started on a tight budget. Other than that, become a solid part of the community, contribute what you can, and you'll find that a lot of resources open up for you down the road.

Return to Uber-Noob