FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Using a rake

<<

jailersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:37 pm

Using a rake

My suggestion is for a newby just learning. I don't recommend using a rake in a in and out motion because it will become a crutch and a distraction to spp. I use a rake as a jiggler so you still feel the pins set. IMHO
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:01 pm

Re: Using a rake

I take my 8 year old son to work with me. After a customer complained that I made him feel stupid by having my son unlock his door I can't let him pick in public anymore.

So my son sits next to me in the van when I rekey and the customer does not have a key for it and he rakes all the locks to the picked position while I rekey. He still does not have the full grasp on spp'ing but will learn. If you keep an open mind and have some understanding on what picking is all about raking should be the business end of doing things and spp'ing should be the fun. But it could definitely become a crutch if you let it.
<<

hypnos3510

Post Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:53 pm

im a newbie at lock picking and i try to not rake any of the locks i mean i tried a few times just to see what all the fuss was about and to me it take all of the fun out of picking so i just use spp'ing
<<

piotr

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:23 pm

mdchurchill wrote:I take my 8 year old son to work with me. After a customer complained that I made him feel stupid by having my son unlock his door I can't let him pick in public anymore.

:) Brought a smile to my face.
<<

chris

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:57 pm

I think if you are a n00b and wanting to learn to pick for a hobby, for the challenge and lock conquests, then learning SPP is the way to go, more satisfaction in the long run. As far as business is concerned, whatever gets the job done the fastest and most efficient, be that raking, pick gun, whatever works for the individual.
Naaapaalm...sticks to kids...it sticks to the belly and it sticks to the ribs...
See those kids standing by the lake...drop some napalm and watch them bake.
Naaapaalm...sticks to kids...it sticks to the belly and it sticks to the ribs.
<<

chris

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:43 pm

I have a pick gun...and I am horrific at it, I can pop a master lock with it...that's about it. Granted I didn't put a whole lot of time into it, but it is at the bottom of my "go to" list on tools.
Naaapaalm...sticks to kids...it sticks to the belly and it sticks to the ribs...
<<

chris

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:35 pm

Yeah, rarely works successfully...I'm sure if I put as much time into it as I do SPP then it would work just fine..but it's like anything lock picking related, it takes practice and learned skill to use effectively.
<<

jailersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:05 pm

Thanks for all the input. I totally agree with all that was posted. I combine techniques. But how do we instruct a newby to learn? After all, we all know the basics, and then some.
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:53 pm

jailersmith wrote:Thanks for all the input. I totally agree with all that was posted. I combine techniques. But how do we instruct a newby to learn? After all, we all know the basics, and then some.

If you can show a newbie how to rekey a lock, show them the plug with the key out the the correct key in so that you get a smooth shear line I believe a lot of people will have at least a little click in their head of what the goal is. Without that the goal to them is to unlock the lock. Show them how the lock works and the goal becomes a smooth shear line. You can teach about mechanical defects etc after that.
<<

Kezo

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:56 pm

mdchurchill wrote:I take my 8 year old son to work with me. After a customer complained that I made him feel stupid by having my son unlock his door I can't let him pick in public anymore.

You're an awsome dad. Sounds like your son will grow up to be a happy and confident person. :D
<<

cool-arrow

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:01 pm

I use a light rocking motion sometimes to set the security pins quickly then I go back in and SPP. It really just depends on the lock and what my goal is. If my goal is to open the lock quickly I will rake it, if its to learn the lock then only SPP.
<<

aka.decoy

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:08 pm

That's pure awesomeness. In fact, that's around the age I was when I started opening my grandma's luggage locks with a paperclip. Now that I think about it, I remember how hard it was to get information being under 18+. Couldn't buy books legally and if you could you'd get funny looks, couldn't ask anyone 'cause time was money, local library had nothing on the subject, and NO internet! :wah: WAhhh! Where's the violin?) I think it's super cool your son's got a Jedi Master to guide him!
"Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diego, which of course in German means a whale's vagina."

-Ron Burgundy
<<

chris

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:34 am

aka.decoy wrote::wah: WAhhh! Where's the violin?)

:nopity: <----- I found it for you!
<<

aka.decoy

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:26 am

Thanks. Haha!
"Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diego, which of course in German means a whale's vagina."

-Ron Burgundy
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:39 am

chris wrote:I have a pick gun...and I am horrific at it, I can pop a master lock with it...that's about it. Granted I didn't put a whole lot of time into it, but it is at the bottom of my "go to" list on tools.

Chris:
All the Master padlocks I have in my collection, whose keys no longer work unless the keyway is held vertically, have crushed springs. All caused by indiscriminate use of a pick gun. This is a heads-up, and not a critique. Be careful if you choose to use a pick gun on a customer's lock.
Nemo Malus Felix
Next

Return to Uber-Noob