FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Noob Questions

<<

Gtreg

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue May 31, 2011 8:04 pm

Noob Questions

New on the forum read a lot of stuff. Learned a lot from Solomon's PDF excellent I must add.. I'm able to pick locks much easier. I moved on to a Schlage Deadbolt not a primus just a regular 30$ one. I'm pretty sure it has 4 spools and 1 reg, not sure though. I'm able to set a lot of them I feel the counter rotation so I ease up a bit and hear a loud click and I know it's set. Now what happens every time, I'm sure I'm on the last pin that needs to be picked which is the front one, my problem is the lock goes into false set and the front pin goes up a bit and then it's stuck at half way up no matter how much force I use it won't go up.. Also I want to add while this is happening I can take out the tension rench and the lock stays in false I can't ease up on tension then push it up I can take out the whole rench and nothing happens. Then I turn it back to lock postion and hear a huge click and it's locked and I have to start over. Does anyone know what happening and what may cause this? Thanks a lot!
<<

james504

Familiar Face

Post Tue May 31, 2011 10:22 pm

Re: Noob Questions

is the lock brand new? if not maybe its kinda gunked up and needs to be cleaned .. what kinda schlage is it? you should gut the lock and see whats going on in the inside of it ( if you can) hope you get it bro , some schlage locks can be a bitch!!.. i bought a schlage new from a lock smith the other day and it was a 5 pin lock 4 of the pins were spools so it is possible to have lots :spool: in there.....
http://www.youtube.com/user/MsJames504
<<

Gtreg

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue May 31, 2011 10:51 pm

I'd say 4 years old first time any type of picking has been attempted. I did learn how to gut a lock so I'll take it apart soon and see what's going on inside. Never crossed my mind that it could be dirty. Thanks for the reply!
<<

Dopug

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:59 am

you could try setting the pins in a differnt order, that might work.

Also if the pin locks up maybe it's set and the rotation your feeling is a different pin on false set?
<<

LocksmithArmy

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:15 am

I think that first pin of yours is set... When you get the wikid false set hunt fo another pin stuck on a false sheer line.
Many times a binding pin cant be picked from a false set until you pick other pins as the lock is nolonger binding once its in the false groove...

Maybe someone else can explain better
Pokey wrote:"Come and get me, loser! Spankity spankity spankity!"
<<

Gtreg

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:29 pm

Thank you all for your answers. I understand exactly what you mean Army, I'll try it soon. I want to add the same thing happens when I rake it, goes into a crazy FS and can't go more even when I try to put the key it it can't go past the first pin it's really weird. Thanks again!
<<

Gtreg

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:55 pm

Thanks a lot for the replies.. I know exactly what you mean. It's crazy when it gets stuck when I try to put the key in it can't even get past the first pin lol. I''ll try what you said and report back!
<<

darkhorse

Post Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:18 pm

whenever I'm struggling with a lock I try to tension the opposite way and that changes the binding order..Also switching from top of keyway to bottom tension sometimes helps too
<<

Gtreg

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:36 pm

Thank you all for your replies.. Locksmitharmy... I finally understand exactly what you mean and that was the exact problem. The first pin was already set going back carefully I found the pin that made it counter rotate and did that about 4 times and finally got it.. That was a great moment. Pics included, Maybe easy for you rest but this was a bitch to pick! Thanks again! EDIT: I'm trying to get used to the lingo and i'm not sure this will make sense but- Static SPP Blind and with a bobby pin and homemade Tension tool! Image
"Laziness may appear attractive, but work gives satisfaction"
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:28 pm

Gtreg, very exciting! Well done. And, keep in mind, it doesn't matter how easy/hard it might be for someone else. It was a hurtle for you. You won in the end and learned some things in the process. Challenge/patience/learning/victory (& defeat)... that's what it's all about!

And what a beautiful moment when that plug finally turns! My stomach will still sometimes jump like I just hit the top of a hill on a roller-coaster! Welcome to lockpicking..... I'm excited for ya.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

Gtreg

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:54 pm

Oldfast, thank you so much for that post. It's really very very nice of you... Very kind words. I learned everything you wrote ha ha, patience especially! I love that feeling you get when it opens and its nice to know it still feels the same all that time later!
"Laziness may appear attractive, but work gives satisfaction"
<<

Bryanxwhite

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:46 pm

It sounds like you have a good grasp of picking. If you stick with it and don't get discouraged you won't believe how far you can go in a few short months. One day your picking 140's the next your picking a Assa twin V-10. Anything is possible when your determined to progress!
<<

darkhorse

Post Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:13 am

and that feeling never goes away Gtreg nor the frustration sometimes.. Youre on the slippery slope now mate and no going back

Return to Uber-Noob