FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Lockpicking in California

<<

ImSchatten360

Familiar Face

Post Tue May 24, 2011 11:40 pm

Lockpicking in California

Hi,

I am going to be in the USA for some months soon and I don't want to loose my picking skills during that time.
Is it a problem to carry lockpicking sets as a hobbyist in California (or the USA in general) or should there be no problems?
Some countries seem to be more restrictive so I better ask in advance.
Don't want to get kicked out. :smile:

Cheers

ImSchatten360
http://www.youtube.com/ImSchatten360 Wanted: Bilock, For Sale: ASSA RUKO 3
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed May 25, 2011 7:27 am

Re: Lockpicking in California

I grew up in San Diego and I was even a part of the Sheriffs Dept. in a hard to explain way when I was a teenager. (Sheriff's Explorer if you know what that is)

Deputies would arrest people with dental picks in the car for possession of burglary tools. There are supposed to be guidelines in that law that they have to prove you have the intent to commit burglary with those tools but people were convicted for it all the time without any real proof or the right conditions. If you have something from your local lockpicking club or organization that shows you are a member that might let you get away with it. Otherwise keep them packed in your luggage until you get to where you are going and I doubt you will come into contact with local law enforcement in the first place.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displ ... le=466-469

These sections of the California penal code are what I was talking about as far as intent.
<<

datagram

Familiar Face

Post Thu May 26, 2011 9:59 am

They are legal in California and you should have no problems as long as you put them in your checked baggage and do not put yourself in a situation where they would get you in trouble once you're here. Have fun on your trip and if you're in Los Angeles try to stop by our LA lockpicking meeting that happens each month (http://www.meetup.com/li-losangeles)

datagram
<<

uklockpicker

The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor
The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor

Post Thu May 26, 2011 12:18 pm

ImSchatten360 wrote:Hi,

I am going to be in the USA for some months soon and I don't want to loose my picking skills during that time.
Is it a problem to carry lockpicking sets as a hobbyist in California (or the USA in general) or should there be no problems?
Some countries seem to be more restrictive so I better ask in advance.
Don't want to get kicked out. :smile:

Cheers

ImSchatten360

How about if someone was to send some to you on :wink:
Helpfull members here :bananafuck: just send them back when your due to fly home :salute:
<<

Kezo

Familiar Face

Post Fri May 27, 2011 7:25 pm

It's not illegal to possess lockpicks in CA but I wouldn't recommend carrying them around everywhere you go. Just use common sense as you would in your home country and you should be fine.

Return to Uber-Noob